[QUOTE=ExTank]
but I think snipers are typically NCOs (sergeants), which automatically gets them out of most menial jobs like KP and Latrine Detail (unless as supervisors of said menial jobs),
[/QUOTE]
Not necessarily, I have seen Lance Corporal (E-3, non-NCO) snipers. I have seen Corporals and Sergeants as spotters for the snipers. But overall, they try to put the higher ranks as the snipers and the lower ranks as the spotters.
FormerMarineGuy, I’ll see what I can dig up online while I’m here at work, and then I’ll have to see if it was in a book at home tonite. I could be totally wrong, I’m not in any way trying to downplay the contribution of Mr. Hathcock to sniping in general at all! I have the utmost of respect of anyone in uniform. And it’s certainly true that in Vietnam, thing were run a lot differently than they are today, so I could be citing someone with an axe to grind.
[QUOTE=Tristan] FormerMarineGuy, I’ll see what I can dig up online while I’m here at work, and then I’ll have to see if it was in a book at home tonite. … I have the utmost of respect of anyone in uniform.
[/QUOTE]
Definitely was not doubting your respect or anything like that. I just wanted to see if I was just brainwashed by the many articles and stories I have heard about Hathcock. I actually served in the same unit as his son at one time in my career. Looking forward to seeing if you find anything.
[QUOTE=FormerMarineGuy]
Definitely was not doubting your respect or anything like that. I just wanted to see if I was just brainwashed by the many articles and stories I have heard about Hathcock. I actually served in the same unit as his son at one time in my career. Looking forward to seeing if you find anything.
[/QUOTE]
At this point, my online searches have come up blank. Which means it’s buried in one of my sniping books at home.
sigh
So I will continue to look for the quote, if for nothing else than I’m really curious to know if it’s there, or if I imagined it.
My philosophy on war stories, in particular ones from Post WWII, is that a certain amount of bullshit is gonna creep in. The key is seperating the fact from the embellishment.
My philosophy on war stories, in particular ones from Post WWII, is that a certain amount of bullshit is gonna creep in. The key is seperating the fact from the embellishment.
[/QUOTE]
You are right, stories tend to become embellished over the years, especially. From everything I have read (sniping books, military literature, history, Vietnam war, Hathcock), all stories tend to be pretty real. It seemed Hathcock was just one of those guys that was not just a legend in his own mind, but a man with unimaginable natural skill and ability. He revolutionized sniping in general, and was just a dangerous man. If you read the book about him, there are some amazing things out there. I believe (no facts to back it up) there is a book in Vietnam about him also, from their point of view.
Didn’t they use Hathcocks “bullet through the scope” shot in that movie as well?
[/QUOTE]
I have seen it in a few movies. It definitely adds a nice cinematical touch to any movie. In Enemy at the Gates it was used in the part where the boyfriend/girlfriend sniper team were set up and the German sniper shot the guy through the scope. It was also used in the very fictional movie Sniper.
[QUOTE=Jake4]
It seems to me that’s a pretty insulting thing for a Marine to say of other Marines; “kids we got dressed up like Marines.” Thoughts?
[/QUOTE]
If they volunteered I could see how that statement would be insulting, but if we are talking about a draft then this would not be the case. After all, the government did take a lot of kids away from their homes, dress them up like marines, and shipped them off to Vietnam.