What Do You Do With Chili Sauce?

I’ve tried that one too. It’s good, but the cranberry one is my favorite.

I can see that being the case. I’ve also made meatballs with chili sauce as a binder for fondue. It’s kind of like mini meatloaves.

Sloppy joes. That’s about the only thing I use chili sauce for. (Although I haven’t in ages, as I just use ketchup with some peppers or hot sauce to sub in these days.) It’s essentially just slightly tarted up ketchup (assuming I’m thinking of the right condiment, something like Heinz chili sauce, as opposed to an actual hot sauce.)

So, pardon my previous post about hot sauce, but if chili sauce isn’t hot sauce, then what exactly is it?

I don’t believe I’ve ever bought “chili sauce” in Canada. I assumed it was just another vernacular for hot sauce.

I use Rooster sriracha on just about anything that needs or wants heat. It’s awesome stuff - lots of heat but not loaded with vinegar like your Tabasco-type sauces.

I’ll usually drop at least a little bit into nearly any kind of savory stovetop dish that I’m making.

Johnny Bravo’s Dragon Sauce:

1 container sour cream.
Mix in enough garlic powder so that you can taste it in the sour cream.
Stir in a whole bunch of original flavor Cholula.
Add a slightly lesser amount of Rooster sriracha.

Continue adding the two hot sauces until you reach desired heat level - note that the sour cream has an intrinsic cooling factor, so the sauce will build in heat as you eat lots of it - it’s easy to overdo the heat level the first time you make it.

Once you’re at the heat level you want, mix in some paprika for color. You can also add chili powder if you want, though I think the sauce adds plenty of fresher chili taste.

Throw it back in the fridge to chill/set for a bit. Eat it with pretty much anything.

As the poster above you said, it’s like slightly tarted up ketchup. It’s pretty delicious. Even now, hours after eating, my mouth remembers and misses it. I really liked it.

I love hot sauce, especially the green, jalapeno-based sauces. I don’t think I’ve ever tried sriracha, but that’s next on my list.

It varies a lot. It can be spicy ketchup (probably what most people think of in the US), Sri Racha sauce which is a asian chiles and garlic chopped or pureed, a tradional hot sauce made with chili peppers in vinegar, southwest chili sauce which seems like a chili flavored white sauce, and every other variety of sauce you can think of. They all have one common ingredient, chili peppers. I assume for people who call all pepper chilis then most hot sauces would count to.

Like I said, it’s basically tarted-up ketchup. It doesn’t taste particularly spicy, although it is slightly tangier, slightly more assertively spiced, and has maybe the vague impression of heat.

ETA: Ninja’d.

I use Sriacha Sauce on pizza, cold (turkey, chicken etc) sandwiches and beef bureks. What I found really interesting the first time I used it on a sandwich was that when I ate it cold, I got a lot of the flavor but the spice got considerably knocked down, which allowed me to use quite a bit more the next time. I guess it makes sense. Most spicy things are spicier when they’re hot vs when they’re cold.

I’m sure I could eat it on a lot more then those three things, but as much as I like spicy stuff, I just never thought to try it since I was never a ‘hot sauce guy’. It wasn’t until a combination of two things. We started selling locally made bureks at work and I was just started to get tired of them when a bunch of the employees were talking about how good they were with Sriacha sauce on them AND I read a post here about how Sriacha sauce isn’t just ‘hot sauce’ but it also adds a lot of flavor since there’s a lot more going on in it then what you’d find in a regular 'OMG this is insane HOT SAUCE!!11!" type sauce. So I picked some up. Everything I put it on, it’s like trying again for the first time.

Yeah, Huy Fong Sriracha (known as “rooster sauce,” or as “cock sauce” for those with adolescent minds, because of the rooster on the bottle. There’s several kinds of sriracha, but that’s the one most people are referring to when they talk sriracha. It’s a domestic brand.) really does play well with a wide variety of foods. It’s not obnoxiously hot, it has a healthy kick of garlic, it’s thick and is not overwhelmingly vinegary. It’s also very nice blended with mayonnaise, to taste, to give you a sandwich spread with a little bit of a chile & garlic kick, without overwhelming your palate.

It’s the spicy part of lots of spicy sushi. Often mixed with eggy mayo to make a milder sauce. I add it to cocktail sauce, or put it straight on raw shellfish.

I was going to say almost all spicy sushi based on it’s world wide popularity, but there are plenty of sushi styles that use straight peppers.

You should try some. Get it at the supermarket, in the section where you get ketchup. Heinz makes it in Canada; look for the typical Heinz label.

Use it like you might use ketchup. It’s a little thicker than ketchup, and a little zippier also, but not by much. Looking at the label of the bottle in my kitchen, I don’t see “chilis,” but I do see “dehydrated onion,” “mustard seeds,” and “spices.” Those are the hottest things in it, so it’s pretty harmless. But it is flavourful.

reported.