What do you take to work?

I carry my keys, office cell phone, and a few bucks cash in a small purse. I keep everything else in my office–why tote it back and forth? But then, I walk to work and can’t tote a bunch of stuff.

Well, beyond the usual contents of my pockets which I take everywhere… I grab my black ‘gear bag’, a fairly simple and cool-looking small black, umm… it’s vaguely luggage-looking, but I’m not quite sure how to describe it otherwise. Several different compartments. Never get that many weird looks carrying it into work or back, on the bus, etcetera.

Inside you will find, or possibly find depending on the vagaries of chance:

• various pieces of electronic gear - audio players, PDAs, my keyboard organizer. Occasionally I fit my alphasmart dana into one compartment, if I want to get some serious writing done on the bus. Connector cables to hook something up to my work computer, spare memory cards, maybe a memory card reader.
  • bus fare inside the tiny top flap pocket. My burlington change-card is practically always there, and my hamilton monthly pass is usually, unless I transferred it into my wallet, so I could go out shopping without taking the bag.
  • Batteries for audio player, nickel-metal-hydride rechargables generally - either charged or flat and awaiting recharge.
  • Leftover food for lunches, packed away into mason jars.
  • Drink mix to prepare with water-cooler-water in at the office.
  • A clipboard with a few important papers stuck inside it, and any stamps I happen to own tucked inside the front flap.
  • Maybe a newly burned CD that I want to play on my computer at work that day.
  • Approximately a 3% chance of there being a pen inside. :smiley:

That’s about all I can think of. Oh, and I carry a song in my heart. No, wait… that’s the MP3 player in my shirt pocket, with the headphones around my neck.

A leather book bag that I’ve had for years. Inside it, a dayplanner book, whatever papers I have to grade, whatever papers I am in the midst of writing, a book or two (manadatory because it’s a BOOK BAG). The aforementioned BOOK BAG was a couple o’ pockets on the exterior. In those pockets I keep my wallet, cel phone, pens and keys to office and Jeep, on separate rings.

In addition to the book bag, in my pockets I carry a pocket knife, nail clippers, Special Forces coin and a money clip, preferably with money.

My purse
A granola bar
Toothpaste if I need some

Purse, which contains wallet, mp3 player, keys and cel phone among many other items.
Tote bag, which will contain lunch, dress shoes, a book, and likely some writing to work on at lunch.
Sometimes a water bottle.

Gee, it seemed like a lot, but I guess it’s not.

Hmmm…

pen
wallet
keys
Leatherman Micro
Leatherman Juice S2
aardvark lucky piece
Gerber Truss knife
cell phone
cocoa mug, filled

Everything else is on, in or around my desk in my classroom.

Purse - with usual stuff in it
Briefcase - with any relevant papers, plus water and sometimes lunch
Work laptop - about half the time

My god, and I thought I liked to travel heavy.

I carry a messenger bag in lieu of a purse. When I go to work, it usually contains:

a book (I commute via pubtans)
a notebook. Never know when you’re going to want to write something down.
a small datebook. Am forgetful, need help.
a small umbrella. Chicago weather is unpredictable.
wallet
keys
cell phone
lunch
snacks (usually yogurt and a couple pieces of fruit)
pens

Handbag:
Wallet, house/office keys, car keys, cell phone, address book, memo book, compact, lipstick, Altoids, sunglasses, reading glasses.

Totebag:
makeup bag, Daytimer, lunch, brush, mirror, whatever book/magazine I’m reading

Gym bag:
sports bra, t-shirt, yoga pants, socks, scrunchie, walking shoes

I think I need to lighten up, Francis :smiley:

VCNJ~

binoculars

tape recorder and microphone

backpack, containing:
2 or 3 field guides
field notebook
pencils
rain poncho
water bottle
bug spray
GPS
compass
maps
spare cassette tapes

depending on where I’m going, maybe a machete and walkie-talkie

In my purse, there is:

mp3 player and headphones
lip gack
wallet
cell phone
keys
my lunch
1L bottle of water

–keys
–purse
–cell phone
–my 18-month-old son

Yes, I get to take my son to work with me. He naps mid-morning for about an hour-and-a-half to two hours. He wakes up, gets fed, then plays with his toys until we have to leave. It’s great.

Oh, and his dad is my boss.

Keys and wallet. If I happen to need anything else, I just walk up stairs to my room. It’s nice living so close to the office.

A backpack/laptop bag. In which is:

• Laptop
  • Day-Timer
  • Whatever miscellaneous work I brought home
  • Ibuprofen
  • Chargers for: phone, laptop, camera
  • Digital camera
  • work keyring
  • checkbook
  • Network cable in case I go somewhere w/o wireless
  • USB cable for camera

Four or five cans of Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke
Pencil puzzles, like word searches, that I don’t necessarily need a pencil for, to keep my mind busy when doing long repetitive jobs on machines.
Clean work shirts, if needed
A couple of Cup o’ Noodles, if I need to stock up
Jacket, if needed
Keys, money and ATM card in pockets.

We’re allowed to bring in purses, etc., but only if we keep them in our assigned lockers. I’m not about to run across the entire store and up a flight of stairs, so I carry:

Money/license in my back pocket
Car keys gum, cigarettes, and lighter in my coat pocket
Pens and a black Magic Marker in my apron pocket
My hate-with-a-passion store baseball hat

If I remember, I’ll try to bring a Kashi bar or something similar to nosh during my lunch break. That goes into my bench drawer where I keep my cake decorating supplies.

Inside the Mega-purse:
Wallet
Cell phone
Keys
Lunch
MP3 player
Compact
Bus pass
Gum (although I never really chew gum… why do I keep that there?)
Advil
Band-aids
Girly supplies
Book for the Metro
Folder with study notes, if I’ll have time to kill during the day
Pens, pencils, little notebook
Stainless steel leakproof travel coffee mug
Umbrella (optional)

And in the winter, I’ll bring shoes too, although often I’ll just leave a pair at work for the week.

The usual stuff that’s in my pockets (keys, comb, change and wallet) plus PDA and cell phone. A hat, but I wear one every time I go out. Sometimes, when I’m feeling fit, a pedometer.

Water bottle and sometimes water tumbler for car
Purse with cell phone in it
Lots of keys
Big rolling bag which can be locked
Insulated lunch bag
Two books, lots of folders and a ton of papers; plus clips, chalk, whiteboard markers, paper clips, stapler, white-out
Toothbrush, holder and paste

Appropriate clothing.

Keys, wallet, phone, PDA, lipbalm, sunglasses, safety glasses, pocket knife, 5in1, measuring tape.

Sawzall, cordless recip saw, circular saw, cordless circular saw, several cordless drill drivers, hammer drill, hammers, drywall finishing tools, crowbars, various hand finishing tools for woodwork, air compressor, nail gun, brad nailer, stapler, coil gun, hand saws, sledge hammer, airless paint sprayer, HVLP gun, various roler cages, covers, sticks, brushes, step stoll, 6’ ladder, 16’ ladder, 30’ ladder, table saw, concrete and mortar tools, rope, chain, buckets, wheelbarrow, various shovels, bits, screw drivers, nut drivers, socket set, caulk guns, random orbit sander, belt sander, chop saw (miter saw), glass cutter, suction cups, levels, and various other items.

Up to 20 or so replacement windows, lumber, paint, roofing supplies, insulation, paint, drywall, mortar mix, fence posts, readymix, etc…

Truck.