What do you think of these names?

I don’t like Tristram at all, but it isn’t a big deal as it is the middle name. And the middle name is where people should put “different” names.

I do not like Soren at all. Sebatian isn’t bad.

Keep in mind that my first daughter will be named Avelina and son: David.

Apparently my soft sarcasm went a wee bit over your head.

The funny thing here is that apparently folks can screw up the spelling even when they can read the typed word on the same screen. Imagine the problems when dealing with the spoken word or messy handwriting.

Well, I’m one of the usual suspects, too, because I’d never heard of them.

Tristram would be an okay name, providing the kid’s nose was big enough. To have that name AND a small nose? Disaster!

Doesn’t mean it’s a bad name, it means you hang out with defective people.

If you name the kid Tristram, then for his entire life, he is going to be saying to people, “No, not TristaN. TristraM. With an M. No, an M. M as in Mary. No, two Rs. Look, it’s T-R-I-S-T-R-A-M. No, M. As in Mary.”

I’m not saying not to name him that (although actually I kind of hate it too) but you should just be aware that this is going to happen.

I like Soren okay.

How often do you correct people on the pronunciation and spelling of your middle name? How often do you even need to reference it in a situation where given a tricky name, you’d have to correct pronunciation or spelling?

Avelina? I hope that you don’t live in the southwest, or that she never moves here.

Oh. Whoops. I thought that was going to be the first name.

Middle name? Go crazy. Middle names are where you stick all the weirdly spelled family-history rando stuff that you can’t convince your spouse to use as the first name.

A boy named Soren Sebastion is probably going to get beat up a lot. And he’ll have a rough first couple of nights in boot camp if he joins the military.

Why would you say that? What’s wrong with the nickname “Sore-ass”? :slight_smile:

Reminds me of the old Ass-wee-pay skit on SNL.

About the spelling thing, I guess that’s not on my radar because my own name is spelled nontraditionally, and I always have to clarify or correct people about it, and this has never bothered me even a little bit. So it didn’t occur to me it would bother my kid as he grows up…

Don’t forget about initials. If your last name starts with an A then you’ll have ASS backwards. Etc.

You’re naming your daughter after a type of wild pig?? Peccary - Wikipedia Pronounced roughly HAV-uh-Lee-na in US English.

Greeaaaat. I’ll take “Neurosis-inducing Names” for $200 Alex.
ETA: I agree it *sounds * like a very pretty name. Until you learn about the pigs.

“Tristram” is hard to say. And while it may not be something that people will notice enough to care about, the bearer will probably feel differently. I think people should feel comfortable with both first and middle names. There should be no embarrassment associated with either. So I would keep “Paul” and think of another “off the beaten track” name.

“Soren” is just okay. I’m not a big fan of the trend towards “en” names, like “Aiden” or “Jaden” or “Hayden”. “Soren” is different, but it still sounds kind of trendy. But I wouldn’t let the “sore” thing be the deciding factor. Every name can be deformed into a crazy nickname if someone tries hard enough.

Note: I’m not a “John”, “Jennifer”, “Michael” type of person. I prefer uncommon names, generally.

Tristan is more traditional, I had a classmate named Tristan and it’s fine. Tristam is bound to make people second guess you/themselves when filling out forms. I’d say Tristan is a better middle name than a first name. Tristam is right out.

I’m quite partial to Sebastian as a first name. It’ll be unique, although it’s tough to abbreviate. “Seb” is a lame nickname. Maybe you could call him “Ash.”

Paul is too… something, I don’t like it. Maybe because I’ve never met a Paul I liked.

Soren as a middle name would be alright, although I think it’s overly obscure. But giving a child Soren as a first name is really cruel.

And that’s why it should be spelt Søren (or Sören).

(Emphasis mine)

And that’s why you should refrain from it.

ETA “ø”, (or “ö”) and “o” are two completely different letters and are in no way interchangeable.

It is fairly well established that the English language equivalent to the name is “Soren” with an ‘o’.

When I hear Tristam, the first thing that comes to mind is the place where you find Deckard Cain and collect Wirt’s Leg so you can enter the cow level. However, A) I am a huge nerd, and B) by the time any kids born today are old enough for it to matter, even huge nerds won’t get that reference. (Diablo II, for the interested.)

Other than that, the others are fine. Soren is unusual enough to cause notice, but I knew one growing up (brother of a friend) and he never got any flak for it that I saw.

Though I’ll admit that the sound of the Danish name is more closely captured (to my ears) in English orthography by the letters “Suren”… But that’d be going way too far in the unique-name direction… :wink: