What do you think will actually (stay) shut down until a vaccine is found?

In the USA? Major pro sports with crowds. Professional sports leagues are season to season, and three of the four major North American sports have already decided to finish this season crowdless. Given what the USA is seeing the NFL is likelier than not to do the same.

Our colleges around here do that too, but it doesn’t make them public pools. Public pools have little kids and there moms hanging out there all day. You can pay by the day or pay for a season pass.

Is it open to students now? Because that would be cool.

I would have thought that our local Korean spa and sauna would stay shut down, but apparently not so much. You couldn’t pay me to go there right now (and I even have the rest of a gift card to use up).

Most of Seattle’s park district pools are indoors.

It’s not the majority but a few of our community centers have indoor pools around here too. Think they are all open here now.

Same for Chicago.

Well, the rulers did try, had to do a lockdown again…

Not years, I would think. If we get super lucky, there’s a few of research/factory agreements already in place where they are producing vaccines before final testing so they’ll be ready to go with millions of doses as soon as they pass.

So you think that all the major leagues will cancel their seasons until there’s a vaccine? Potentially for the next two to three years or longer?

Depends what the situation is when the next season starts.

If the USA is the way Canada, Japan or Europe are now, they can have a season. If it’s the way it is now, they cannot.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I think the players will willingly roll the dice in 2021, barring absolute anarchy. They might even get desperate enough to do my foreign country suggestion in the Game Room; at that point, when a lot more is known about the virus, qualified countries may well consider it.

We’ll see, I guess. I just don’t see the players giving up multiple years of their careers for this, even if it is still bad. (Though the NFL again has the advantage, being the latest in the year…)

Our community recreation center indoor pools are open. I go 2-3 times a week.

The lap pool opened first, and the “activity pool” was just open for adults to exercise in. Then in July they started taking reservations for families to come play in the activity pool, in small groups. That’s where they stand now.

The city next door has an outdoor pool. They are doing a “family reservations” thing too I believe.

Our city looked in to the cost of draining the pool and refilling later versus keeping the pumps running and doing the chemicals daily. There was no comparison (draining would be much more expensive) The heaters didn’t need to be run when there was no one swimming. Now that there are people swimming, the extra cost is the heat and about $45/hour for lifeguards.

As far as I know, every pool in the area (indoor and outdoor) is open for business.

Is there such a thing as a public pool with no gate? Or do they all have some sort of capacity limiting ability? I’ve only ever swam at places that require a pass.

With no gate, they’d be liable for drowning. Even home private pools are required to have fences. Or am I misunderstanding your question? (not enough coffee yet)

I meant like, a pool where nobody is head counting or checking passes, and anyone can come in with no crowd control.

I think it’s going to take some more flares, but I don’t think bars or live music can survive, at least not in their current form. Drinking makes social distancing less likely, almost by definition: lower inhibitions, worse judgment. And they are so loud–you pretty much have to shout at people. I think we are going to have flare after flare traced to bars until people just give up.

If syphilis and AIDS didn’t shutdown brothels forever, why would anyone expect bars to vanish after this. And have you noticed the bars getting swamped as soon as restrictions lift everywhere ?

The NHL seems particularly vulnerable. They pack thousands of people into tight seating, with heavy air conditioning. Sort of like a giant meat-packing plant. They are finishing this season without an audience, but I don’t see that being sustainable.

Airlines cannot social distance. They can’t fly even remotely profitably without filling their planes to capacity. So if social distancing is required, ticket prices will double. That would make their problems worse by depressing demand even more.

Sure, but if we keep seeing g opening bars being closely associated with flares, some aces at least will decide they are a no-go.

A fair number of both city pools and pools at the Y are indoors in New England too, including the one I took lessons at as a little girl.

But she did say “in their current form” – eventually the level of preventive or therapeutic practices, the acceptance thereof by the clientele, and their risk/benefit curve reaches a new equilibrium level. Like the thread title said, “until a vaccine is found” or lacking a vaccine, until the right prevention strategy is found and becomes common and accepted among the trade and the clientele. So establishments that fulfill the function of the bar and music club will exist, but they may indeed look/sound/be organized very differently from what we are used to.