what does a sperm feel?

Do most people identify with the sperm? I don’t (or with the ovum, really, to be fair).

I think anthropomorphism is a reasonable explanation, but I’m not convinced this is necessarily the entire explanation.

I don’t have any hard statistics, but portrayals in media such as “Red Dwarf”,“The Simpsons” or “Look Who’s Talking” and expressions like “a gleam in your father’s eye” suggests that is the case. If you ask people to imagine where a person is before conception I suspect they’ll all say the sperm.

IOW while I cant think of countless examples indicating that people identify with the sperm, I can’t think of even one where people identify with the ovum.

Perhaps not, but I see no cause to invoke any other reason. It explains all the observations perfectly, so Billy Ockham says that’s all we should use.

Fair enough. I wonder if gender also plays a role here (whether males more strongly identify with sperm), but am not really invested enough to investigate it.

Does an atom from a halogen like chlorine want to bond with a sodium atom?

In a sense, it does. We might use “want,” very loosely, to describe a behavior which doesn’t in the least actually represent a true sentient feeling, desire, or emotion. If that chlorine atom behaves in such a way that it’s useful shorthand to describe it as “wanting” to bond, well and good … but don’t confuse it with actual emotions.

sperm are attracted by the scent of lily-of-the-valley

As to how sperm “strive” towards the egg, they are guided by chemotaxis, IIRC. It’s a simple matter of proteins reacting to the environment around them.

For the Philosophy 101 side of the question, I would refer you to the book “I Am A Strange Loop” by Douglas Hofstadter, which I’ve been reading for several months now.

Hmmmmmm Sounds like my boss.

dropzone:

What schools are those, Atari University? Nintendo Tech?

The OP is a bit ludicrous but if he really can’t look outside himself enough to realize that half of humanity doesn’t produce sperm and may be a bit more ‘attached’ to the egg’s p.o.v. (if they give it any thought at all when Look Who’s Talking isn’t on), I’m not sure anything but the book Where Did I Come From? will be useful.

Pinball State.

November? Seriously? How come every time someone stupid comes along, refusing to capitalize or form coherent thoughts, posters blame it on school letting out? December- is it winter break already? June- the kids are out for the summer! August- all those summer schools are over. Seriously, it’s like every month you could claim that some school somewhere has let its class out. That last month I’d think would produce stupid posters would be November…

I put about three seconds into trying to Google something up, but I lack good keywords, so I’ll describe one such experiment.

You set the child in front of a video, live play, puppet show or something. Two characters play with an object. Bobby puts it away in, say, a red box and then leaves the room. While he’s gone, the Sally moves the toy from the red box to a blue one. Then Bobby walks back in the room.

The researcher then asks the kid “where will Bobby look for the ball?” If the child says the red box, then the child understands that Bobby has different knowledge than the child and Sally. If the child says it’s the blue box, then the child thinks that Bobby knows the same thing as the child.

Why so mean? I see no evidence that Mojo’s intentions are less than honorable.

Speak for yourself. I’d identify with the ovum. It’s what gave me all my mitochondria and such. And it looks more like the end-product zygote than the sperm, so I’d say it’s more human-seeming than the sperm.

To me, the ovum is ‘the baby’ and the sperm just ‘activates’ it. I don’t think of the sperm as where I came from anymore than I think that the light comes from the switch.

Maybe to you. In polite societies some consideration is often given to the reader, however.

Perhaps confission thinks that when they he does not capitalize then it means that the whole world does not care about capitalization. Essentially he is largely incapable of identifying with others because he does not comprehend that others are actually different personalities.

A tip o the hat to Blake

Brian Ekers:

Ah, yes. Their sports teams are the “Wizards”, aren’t they?

True. He might’ve just dropped out, refusing to kowtow to Authority’s insistence on correct capitalization.

Seriously. This joke has been going around here since I actually was in high school, and it was unfunny and jerkish then.

You left out the old belief that the sperm actually contained a “little man”.

No, not the one in the boat - the other one.

but it smells so delicious! :stuck_out_tongue:

In answer to the thread title. A sperm feels sticky.

In the concept of a soul, IMHO (and what I believe is divine revelation), the sperm (seed) is part of the very heart of the father, who ultimately is our Heavenly Father, it is a part that the woman desires to give life to. This wanting to give of one’s very heart (on the part of the man) + wanting to give life to that part (on the part of the woman) is the basis of sexual attraction. A man in touch with this may be able to feel that very part of his heart, when entering a woman, as a very childlike part of himself all of a sudden entering a very warm loving place. (again IMHO)