What does democracy do post-trump?

I’m not parsing you. How is dimensionality involved? and Did I say anyone was not complex?

They are motivated by things other than intellect. Things like authoritarianism or tribalism.

I’ve met many conservatives who were fairly rational and informed people outside of politics, but once politics comes up they just start repeating false talking points.

I really don’t know how to solve the problem. Rich people want an army of angry voters who can be riled up into a huff, then who go out and vote for politicians who push for corporate tax cuts and medicare privatization. There is a multi billion dollar media apparatus designed to keep these people angry and scared so they will continue to do the bidding of the rich and powerful.

donald is a big issue going forward for conservatism and republicanism. I am sure you want it to be no biggie but the horse is out of that barn.

The last scenario needs some filling in doesn’t it? Who are the elites? What happens after the proles find out they were herded like cattle into an authoritarian system, by their own prejudices and animus? That they were being lied to and lying to themselves?

Think of each unrelated concept that people are motivated by as a different political dimension. The fact that we try to map everything onto a one dimensional line segment is misleading and counterproductive.

Some websites do 2 and 3 dimensional maps of political behavior but the truth is even more complicated than that. So what happens in these discussions is that real motivations as opposed to assigned motivations are missed and even dismissed. If you want to think of post-Trump you have to think of the many variables in a world that make someone like Trump possible.

And it isn’t as simplistic and comforting, as weird as that may sound, to just blame it on dummies, racists, xenophobes, or authoritarians. There are a whole bunch of relatively normal people that vote in ways you may not like for reasons you may not comprehend but don’t fit into your preconception of why.

What sites are these? What do you need a map for? It sounds like you are placing the situation in the category of “ineffable” which we can’t move forward with. It is not what the OP is. I can’t see anything “simplistic or comforting” here.

It’s all about what we can do to change public codes in light of twitler. It doesn’t require that you have a belief about people who voted for him. Those people’s motivations have nothing to do with trumps behavior. It’s a whole other issue.

Let’s ask this: In what way does a trump voters motives matter to the OP?

http://www.abtirsi.com/quiz2.php

You know what mapping to a spatial object is right?

And what do the motives of the electorate matter in a democracy? Quite a bit actually. Again, people need to stop focusing on Trump as the issue.

I’ve be in GIS. Geographic Information Systems for 30 years. Before it was even called GIS. No one KNEW what to call it. It was originally called AM/FM. Automated Mapping and Facilities Management.

GIS is spatial analysis. You can map anything.

No, the problem isn’t trump. The problem is the racist morons that voted for him. That’s obvious to any and everyone.

But, when you are under fire, you take care of the machine gun nest. THEN you figure out how to prevent the enemy from creating machine gun nests.

What’s the issue?

This is the simplistic “analysis” that is missing many relevant details and nuance. Not everyone who voted for Trump is a racist or a moron. Not everyone who voted for Clinton is a racist or a moron. That’s not useful to propagate such an inaccurate message.

You asked for clarity about multi-dimensional politics? Didn’t you?

I didn’t ask to add jargon into it. You are free to connect your points.

Jargon? More than one axis is jargon now?

And I’ve already explained why the naive 1-dimensional model is unproductive.

It’s not one dimensional it’s two, and one of them is looking a little ill with an ill man in office. So all of the sudden why not muddy it up and deny deny the vindictive partisan maneuvering. It’s good to divide up along more axes if you are looking for a way out of the conservative bind that you are in nowadays,. You have been really humiliated by the president every day for 2 years now. Your economic theory has been a bust for a hakf century.

Anyway why not connect your concept with how to proceed and avoid a trump? it’s why we’re here.

Who and what trump is was discernible prior to him declaring himself a candidate for the presidency. Anybody who would vote to place a person whose behavior is most explicable by his having been bitten by a radioactive toddler in control of the nuclear arsenal is, if not a moron, certainly a suitable substitute for one.

I’m not sure if any of that post is actually true.

How to avoid a future Trump? It’s a democracy. I don’t think we can avoid another Trump.

Sure we can. Vote for the Democrat.

Republicans need to stop pretending that Donald Trump becoming President was something that just happened to them. Mainstream Republicans thought they could appeal to the Deplorable vote while keeping it under control. But they miscalculated and the Deplorables have taken over the party. I blame the Deplorables for being deplorable. And I blame all the rest of the Republicans for handing them the keys.

To extend the metaphor, the Mainstream Republicans thought they owned the car and would always be the ones driving it. They figured the Deplorables would be content to sit in the backseat and just chip in for gas money. But now the Deplorables are in the front seat driving. And the Mainstream Republicans are trying to figure out what they should do.

They want to get the situation reversed back to what it was. They want to somehow get back into the driver’s seat and put the Deplorables back in the passenger’s seat. But they’re not sure if they can take the steering wheel back and even if they do, they’re not sure the Deplorables will be willing to go back to being passengers. Can they keep the car going without them?

Or should they just stay in the backseat and keeping riding along to wherever the Deplorables are going? Maybe the Deplorables will occasionally pass a bag of chips and a beer to the back seat the way they used to do when they were driving. And they can hope that the Deplorables don’t crash the car into a tree while they’re still inside it.

You write as if there is any hurdle or purity test to declare oneself a member of a party. That’s not how parties work in the US. And this ridiculous “Deplorable” label is going to continue to backfire. I don’t understand what is so difficult to comprehend about simplistic labeling not being the proper tool. I get that it’s an attempt at manipulation. But it’s obvious and amateur and leads to resentment.

But back to the just vote Democrat! solution. Not going to happen. I mean that’s not a solution much less the solution and the reason is it’s doomed to failure is intrinsic to the nature of human institutions. The Democrats will be fractured and a splinter party will ascend if the Republicans are for some miraculous reason completely marginalized.

I remember reading a book by Ariana Huffington back in 2008 when she talked about the gop being taken over by its crazy wing. Back then, she used Mike Huckabee doing halfway decent in the presidential primary as proof that the deplorable were taking over.

Now Huckabee seems almost acceptable. And sadly in 10years the gop will appoint someone who makes Trump appear acceptable. The right keeps moving the Overton window for incompetence, criminality and authoritarianism further to the right.

My impression is that the plutocrat wing of the gop has realized even with the crazies in charge, they still get their agenda met. Deregulation, supply side tax cuts, cuts to the social safety net, a workforce full of illegal immigrants, no unions, etc.

Other than the tariffs, the plutocrats are still getting their way. They may just happily ride in the back while the authoritarian white nationalists drive the car.

Does anyone have a problem with making it mandatory for a presidential hopeful to disclose tax returns?

I just want to address the problem of trunp insisting on meetings with foreign leaders without aides. This is unacceptable to me. It’s clear that leaving some things as customs or norms is not working. In what way can doinald be curbed from doing this one thing? He is our president and needs to be acting in the nations interests, and this is prima facie him not doing it. In fact it goes way way beyond it.

I don’t see how the US and it’s citizens can’t influence this behavior other than at the ballot box.

How are presidents powers delineated, if at all, and how are they limited?

Can you have “gound rules” for a leader, or is that considered too constricting?

Exactly. I’m a Libertarian and think the government should be 1/10th the size it is now. I’d downsize it fairly… if your SSN ends in a (pick a random 1 digit number), you can stay, everyone else is fired. Folks here should like this - Trump would only have a 10% chance of making the cut. :wink:

I don’t like regulations in general, but one regulation I might try is the absolute ban on negative political ads. You are only allowed to talk about what you have done, what you will do and what qualifications you have.