[QUOTE=si_blakely]
You need to find a better distribution: yum (for rpm based systems) and apt for Debian based systems are really easy.
for source based stuff
./configure
make
make install
usually works.
[/QUOTE]
Except when it doesn’t.
What Linux lacks that Windows has is consistency of the user experience. Yes, this is good in the sense that you can do lots of things with a Linux box. But there are lots of things that ought to just work, and don’t, because no one has ever tested them on the exact configuration that you’re using.
A long example: I recently got a new Debian machine at work, and had to install some VHDL tools on it. The program comes with a Windows installer and a Linux installer (I had already installed them on my Windows box). Now, Debian isn’t the most mainstream distro, but it’s fairly common.
Insert cd, navigate to the directory:
#> ./setup
I get a permissions error. Apparently I can’t execute from an automounted cd. Hey, who could have expected that someone might want to insert a cd and run a program off of it. Ok, switch to root, umount the cd, remount it with -exec.
#> ./setup
I get an error about lib_Xm.so.2 not found. Ok, .so means shared object, so let’s try to figure out what package contains that.
#> apt-cache search lib_Xm
Nothing
#> apt-cache search Xm.
Nothing.
Ok, to google. According to some linux mailing lists, it appears lib_Xm is in the “bob” package (I don’t remember what the package name was).
#> apt-get install bob
No package named bob.
Play around for a little longer. Apparently, bob was removed, and replaced with “fred”. But even “fred” doesn’t install lib_Xm.so.2, it installs the newer lib_Xm.so.3. Awesome. Cross my fingers, make a soft link from .so.3 to .so.2, and run again.
Success!
Sort of. The installer won’t take my registration code. I’m still waiting on an email back from customer service to resolve it.
Now, this may have been an absurdly poorly designed piece of software. I don’t know. But this is often what passes for Linux support. Not to mention the fact that, due to someone’s decision in debian’s package management system, you not only can’t install older libraries, or links that will give some compatibility, you can’t even find the name of the old package, or any obvious reference to what’s replaced it. It took me and a much more linux-inclined coworker (both of us developers) about half an hour to figure out how to get the damned installer to run, and we had to read through random message boards and out of date email list suggestions. 99.9+% of computer users would have given up before we did.