What does luxury mean to you?

Huh. I’ve only heard the phrase as a song in (iirc) Kentucky Fried Movie, one of those movies they made in the 70s that was a mash-up of comedy skits, made for drive-ins.

Our HVAC is out since yesterday. So rather than sweat it out at home, we are booked into the suite at the local Ritz Carlton while we wait for the repairs to be completed. Luxury!

I agree about the suites. Nothing fancy, think Marriot Courtyard or Hampton Inn, but we really like suites where there’s an actual door separating the living area from the bedroom. We have different sleep schedules, so it works for us.

Do you think “luxury” and “deluxe” are different? Etymologically?

I use them differently. To me, champagne is a luxury item because it’s refined. But if my TV is deluxe, it has lots of features. In other words, luxury means something is of higher quality than normal but deluxe means it has this and this and this feature, making it more desirable.

I am the same way. I have stayed at luxury hotels and I feel like I am wasting money because I didn’t use every amenity available. And in latter years, I’ve come to realize as you believe that I don’t need it anyways. If I am going to X city, I am going there to experience things in that city. I want to eat at the local restaurants, drink at the local bars, see the local sights, interact with the local people, etc. I view my hotel as a place to sleep only. As long as it is clean, quiet, has working climate controls and Wi-Fi, then I am good. I don’t want to spend time on my vacation swimming in the hotel pool, or getting treated at the hotel sauna, or looking at the beautiful chandelier, or dining at the hotel restaurant.

I’m with you on the first class flights across the Atlantic, but unless I get a net worth of more than $100m, I couldn’t imagine justifying the $11k plus they charge for them. It is 7 to 9 hours; I can deal with coach. How good can the food, booze, larger seats, etc. be to justify the cost? I’ve heard some argue that you can get good sleep in first class, but my solution is to take an extra day at your destination if necessary to catch up on sleep. Much cheaper.

What I would consider luxury is transportation service and no waiting. A vacation where someone drives me to the airport right to the plane. I sit down and it takes off. When we land, a car drives us to the hotel. Since we are talking transatlantic, lets take Paris. If I want to go to the Louvre, a car picks me up and takes me right to the door where I walk right in. No buying a ticket that is good for 2pm; right now whenever I want it. No riding the Metro, changing trains twice, and then walking a mile to the attraction to wait in line. Not because I’m a lazy bastard, but it is more relaxing, comforting and I get to fit more into my stay.

Service is nice and it actually getting more automated. I hate the mundane errands of life. When you drive home from work, you have to stop at Home Depot to pick up that tool you need for the weekend project, stop by and get the dry cleaning, go to the store for the three items you need, and pick up the dog from the groomers. I would consider that luxury if those tasks were done by others.

Which is one of the rests that ever since I was a young adult, I loved hotels (before Wi-Fi screwed that up). You could just relax. You had your own little space in the world where nothing needed done. You didn’t stare at the ceiling that needs painted; you didn’t wonder if you should go outside and cut the grass. The whole world, at that time, was contained in your little space and you could just relax.

I think this may depend on your size. I can manage a domestic flight in coach, but just barely. I’m 6’3" and my legs are real long. Stretch seating is a god send, and I’ll gladly pay for it. Sucks if it’s not available.

Had a 2-1/2 hour flight a few weeks ago. Luckily, my Wife and I did not have a seat mate and I did not have to put my carry on under the seat in front of me. I sort of managed to cram my size 13 feet in the tiny space.

Bucket trip for my Wife to Hawaii in a year. It’s absolutely insanely expensive, but we are going to fly first class.

Oh, Lord, I can only imagine! I’m 5’9", tallish for my gender, and I HATE economy. But 6’3"? Economy has to be a human rights violation! LOL

Even flying business class is delicious luxury to me, especially on long flights as I’m 5’11" and a bit on the leggy side. But it is a rare, rare treat. I tend to go with smaller luxuries because that’s what I can afford: going to the French bakery, buying organic cherries, making a once in a lifetime good jewelry purchase.

I would love to have the luxury of having a weight loss/exercise coach because I need someone to push me at this point in my life. Maybe a professional organizer or even just someone who could drop in once a week and push me to do some of the things that were daily habits but that I let slide once depression got a hold of me. Oh, to go get “optional” surgery that is actually needed. To be able to by clothing that won’t irritate my sensitive skin.

I don’t want a yacht, or a huge house, though a sports car or three might be nice. I want to get up in the morning without worrying about whether or not I can afford to pay my bills each month. I want to have the energy that I used to have before my depression and health struggles. I want to be able to donate to a cause I believe in. To go on a trip for vacation each year. That would be luxury to me.

Luxury is having someone bring me food to the table in a restaurant, instead of ordering it and picking it up at the counter.

As far as accomodations go, luxury is a quiet room that’s clean* with a comfortable queen-sized bed, a small fridge, a working TV and a bathroom with adequate water pressure and a good shower head.

*not like my last motel room which had dust bunnies, refuse and somebody’s discarded gym shorts under the sofa which nobody had bothered to clean under for probably months. And that was one of multiple problems. :face_vomiting:

Luxury?

Living for three months in a rolled up newspaper in a septic tank. Getting up in the morning at six o’clock to clean the newspaper, going to work down the mill fourteen hours a day week in week out for sixpence a week, then getting home and having our dad smash us to sleep with his belt.

Some item or service that is more expensive than what you need?

There are “designer” items that are functionally equivalent, and sometimes, nearly visually identical to cheaper “off brand” items, but you get the more expensive one because of some logo. The logo itself is the “luxury”. Hence the popularity of knock-offs.

You had a dad? Luxury.

I definitely consider luxury to have more to do with time and space and beauty for beauty’s sake only. When I travel, I avoid staying anyplace that doesn’t have two separate bedrooms and a kitchen whenever I can. But that usually means a Staybridge or Residence Inn or maybe a VRBO. We more than make up the cost in driving cross-country when we go on vacation instead of flying, so I don’t really consider this a luxury but a necessity. If I’m driving 6-8 hours a day I’d better be rested. Plus, I can save a ton of money by finding a grocery and making meals or prepping sandwiches for lunch instead of grabbing food on the road.

BUT, I can totally get behind flying business or first class overseas - I’ve only had the privilege of being in business class for one leg of an international flight to India, but it was incredible to have that much space. And I don’t think anyone appreciates the ability to lie down flat on an airplane until you’ve been upright for almost 48 hours in coach and in airports.