What does "Sister Act" mean?

I once dated a nun, but I gave it up. I couldn’t get **into **the habit. :smiley:

Five. You forgot Gummo. :cool:

It certainly adds a whole other dimension though, doesn’t it? :slight_smile:

He was more behind the scenes.

That’s weird. I recall Whoopi once remarking that her vocal talent was limited to very convincing lip-synching. I can’t find a cite now, but I had heard that her vocals for the film were provided by Carmen Twillie.

One great thing about sister acts is, they can harmonize better than just about anyone. The Roches’ signature sound was one of tight, eccentric harmonies.

No, Gummo was part of the original act on stage. He quit and Zeppo replaced him.

:eek:

Everybody else seems to have got your point even with the typo, but it’s driving me mad and I have to correct it:

“Sister Act” traditionally refers to a group of female singers who are all sisters.

And let’s not forget the Cherry Sisters, a group of vaudeville-era singing sisters who were generally considered to be downright awful. They were so bad that, when a newspaper wrote a scathing review (excerpt: “the mouths of their rancid features opened like caverns and sounds like the wailings of damned souls issued therefrom”) and the sisters sued for libel, they lost after performing their act in court. The appellate court said the review was “fair and reasonable.”

Headline of a Cherry Sisters review: FOUR FREAKS FROM IOWA; They Presented a Spectacle More Pitiable than Amusing. Note that’s a New York Times review, not some proto-New York Post tabloid. :eek:

Means something completely different to me…

Huh. When I was in high school in Minneapolis (1972–73), I knew a girl whose last name was Cherry. She kind of resembled the sister shown on the right. Iowa being adjacent to Minnesota, I wonder if they were related. :dubious: :confused:

The subjects of the underrated musical “Side Show!”