What else do pregnant women deliver?

I love how the Latin vernix caseosa means “cheesy varnish” :eek:

Ah, vernix caseosa. It was considered a sign of good luck to deliver a cheesy baby here in Wisconsin.

The “clean the baby up with crackers” jokes got old real fast, though.

The old battleax delivery room nurses claimed that they used to use vernix as hand cream. Christ, I hope they were kidding.

I had both of my boys in the hospital I worked in , so they weren’t “complete strangers”, but at that point, I really didn’t care too much!

It made for some amusing comments when I was pregnant and delivering babies.

Probably not. My dad told me that his aunt–a midwife–saved it and used it as face cream. :eek:

On one hand I’m extremely icked out by that. shudder On the other hand, Dad did say she had a lovely, soft complexion, so maybe she was onto something. (I think, though, that *I’ll *just stick with Oil of Olay!)

I just had a C-section 10 days ago, and was given Pitocin afterwards to stimulate uterine contractions. I wonder, though, about the post partum hemmorhage–I was told I bled a bit more than normal and had to be given a medication that starts with M (Qag? Care to weigh in?) to reduce the bleeding. I thought the Pit would be typical post-Cesarian, but now I wonder if it was more because of the bleeding.

The Pitocin SUCKED as did the friggin’ sadistic nurse who kept coming in to “massage” (read: push and squeeze like it’s Play-Do) my belly post-op. It was so painful I screamed, repeatedly…and I delivered my first without pain meds without making that much noise. Only thing I can compare it to is the severe back pain I had prior to both of my spinal operations. When I woke up yelping and moaning in pain about 3 hours post op, they turned off the Pitocin and turned on the Demerol, and sleep and I found each other.

Having had a C-section and a vaginal birth (which, yes, included poop, pee, hemmorhoids the size of kiwis, and a second degree tear), I gotta say–I don’t understand why anyone in good health with an uncomplicated pregnancy would choose a C-section. Yowsa.