What ever happened to story songs?

Two more recent big US hits I can think of are:

“Lucky” by Britney Spears:

*This is a story about a girl named Lucky…

Early morning, she wakes up
Knock, knock, knock on the door
It’s time for makeup, perfect smile
It’s you they’re all waiting for
They go…
“Isn’t she lovely, this Hollywood girl?” *

and “Holidae Inn” by Chingy (although the radio version had to have a lot of words bleeped out:

Peeps call me up [phone ring] said it’s a ho-tel party
Just bring the liquor there’s already eight shawties
I’m on my way (way) let me stop by the store
Get a 12 pack of Corona, plus an ounce of ‘dro, ya know?
Now I’m on Highway 2-7 need a natural graze road
I’m already blowed, hit third I’m a be be blowed some mo’

Most Primus songs tell weird little stories thats why I like them so much, oh and Les Claypool is the man on bass.

You can’t get more of a story in a song than the Talkin’ Seattle Grunge Rock Blues

Still, I think Biggirl’s point stands. Story songs are much less common in rock than they were in the 70s. We’ve managed to come up with a handful of examples from the past 15 years, while in the 70s they were all over the charts. (In rock, in soul, in country…everwhere.)

I think it just doesn’t occur to many young songwriters today to put a story to music. Three minutes of raw angst has been the norm since at least the early 90s.

Are the Cowboy Junkies too country to count? I guess the Dixie Chicks are…

Folk music is full of 'em.

For a contemporary non-country band that does a lot of story songs (and a lot of political songs, too) look at Black 47. The story songs they do are very much in the Irish tradition (no surprise, as the lead singer/songwriter is an Irish immigrant) My only problem with the band is that they’re hard to see live, if you’re on the West Coast, though they play pretty darn constantly in NY.