What "Evil" books should I read?

Jesus advocated all those things too.

I’ve read it. I’ve heard, and believe, that the author later came to his senses and pronounced the book crap.

Back To The Op

To Serve Man- A Cookbook For People by Karl Wurf.

I have met the author and been in his kitchen.

Hmm. Can’t say I’m familiar with her work.

Dio, I don’t think you need the qualifiers some of or pretty in that sentence. Take, for instance, Philosophy of the Boudoir, which culminates with a 14-year-old-girl facilities the rape of her mother by a syphiltic and then sewing up her mother’s vagina–ostensibly to keep the diseased semen from leaking out, but clearly because she thinks it amusing.

I think if Jesus Christ, Buddha, and Superman met the Marquis de Sade on the road, Buddha would immediately kill him, Supes would incinerate the body, and Jesus would say, “Yeah,I know I said everybody could be forgiven their sins, but there’s always an exception.”

Dio, I generally agree with you, but that’s just silly. If you consider the Jesus of the Gospels to be a fictional character (as I do), it’s pretty clear that he doesn’t want society overthrown, as doing so would be trivial for him given the story’s basic premises. If he’d wanted Rome violently ejected from Palestine, he could have bombed Pilate with a bolide or 20, or turned all the water in the governor’s household to sulfuric acid, or whatever–or, if he was feeling lazy, called in Michael and a host of angels. In terms of the story, Jesus’ pronouncements about bringing a sword rather than peace, about turning fathers and sons against one another, and so forth, are clearly not calls to violence; they are symbolic predictions of a coming paradigm shift.

I could argue the same thing about Marx, but I could make a case that Jesus literally advocated the abolition of class, family and personal possessions. Some of his parables were far more subversive than people realize.

That’s exactly the story I was thinking of.

I recommend the Bible. It’s gruesome stuff, but it will help you understand more about the world. (Just don’t let kids near it.)

I take it you haven’t read Juliette, then. It’s even worse. Even in my Fabulous Creature incarnation, I’d have had to say, “Okay, de Sade, calm down. You don’t have to rape, murder, & eat every single virgin you see. In fact, screw it–somebody put a cap in the Frenchman.”

It doesn’t get much more evil than The World Power Foundation: Its Goals and Platform, published by the late lamented Loompanics. It’s not boring, either. Quite the reverse. (Pure fiction/parody, of course.)

Nitpick: The Clansman. By Thomas Dixon, Jr.

What exactly does The Communist Manifesto say about abolition of the family?

I think you’re (mis)attributing Lenin’s idea of a revolutionary vanguard to Marx. And I don’t see how Marx created any kind of “system”. He came up with a theory (which is widely considered important, if not entirely correct) which was mutated by various demagogues and dictators to suit their ends.

From the second chapter:

Hmmm . . . That don’t actually sound so evil . . .

I haven’t really read de Sade, so I don’t know if this is true; but I once read that he advocated state brothels in which all women would be forced to serve at some period in their lives.

So, you see, even de Sade had his good side.

::d&r, hunched over with hands held protectively low::

I read the Turner Diaries. Bought a copy at a Goodwill for a buck or so, both to satisfy my curiosity and to keep some kid from picking it up. It was written to appeal to the masses, so it’s not slow, but it’s pretty much trash regardless of the subject matter. I wouldn’t suggest it.

On the other hand, Samuel Delany wrote a book called Hogg that is probably the dirtiest and most disturbing piece of fiction I’ve ever read (not least because of Delany’s skill as an author). It’s told from the viewpoint of an 11 year old boy, and every page is drenched in (to quote the wiki) “murder, homosexuality, child molestation, incest, coprophilia, coprophagia, urolagnia, anal-oral contact, necrophilia and rape.”

Hmm. While all that sounds really cool, I’m realizing now that I want my evil books to be something that some people have bought into. Has Hogg been a piece of dogma for any movement?

Lord, I hope not.

I thought about summarizing some of the evil deeds in Juliette, Justine, the 120 Days of Sodom, & the aforementioned Philosophy of the Boudior in a spoiler box, but that wouldn’t save ME from having to recall it.

Trust me. If de Sade were alive and had the ability to and intention of putting his fantasies into practice, everybody in a thousand miles would drop what they were doing to stop him.