What exactly makes a group a "power trio" in your opinion?

Beck, Bogart, and Appice certainly qualify.

The Doors recorded two albums as a trio. Not their best, but there was some good music on the first one.

Yeah, I’m flexible, too. ELP would be a power trio to me. Sleater-Kinney (two guitars (no bass), drums) as well. Just three people playing loud rock music.

McDonald and Giles was a trio, with Ian McDonald on guitar, keyboards, and woodwinds; Michael Giles on percussion; and Peter Giles on bass.

Having seen Led Zeppelin, The Who, and Cheap Trick, none would be considered a power trio. Robert Plant and Roger Daltrey each played the harmonica on a number of songs, Daltrey also played rhythm guitar and the tambourine. Robin Zander played rhythm guitar on most of the songs. Brad Whitford also joined the band for about half their set the last time I saw them (opening for Aerosmith). As far as The Who, they also had at least 4 musicians playing behind the band including Simon Townsend (Pete’s brother) on guitar, a keyboardist, a gal on violin and a guy that played the sax and trumpet. Plus the no name drummer and bass player that Daltrey never recognized. Despite all those musicians, the keyboards for Won’t Get Fooled Again and Baba O’Riley were played from tape and not live musicians.

Worst live act I ever saw, bar none. Except for Black Oak Arkansas, who opened for them.

I don’t think you want to know the answers to these questions, and they certainly won’t help in this discussion.

Surely you’re not referring to Ringo’s kid as a “no name drummer”.

The Jam seem like a perfect example of what is being described. For much of their (short) career they were purely a trio with some horns, strings and other elements later on.
Drums, Bass and lead/vocal from Paul Weller was their most recognisable and iconic set-up though.

This. (What about cowbells, though ?)

(And this, too)

Definitely.

However, it must be noted that Schoenberg’s String Quartet No. 2 includes a soprano in the last two movements. It’s always felt gimmicky to me.

We need a poll, by the way.

OP yet again.

It looks like I’m in error, then. I’ve always used the term to describe the instrumentation or sound of a group, not as a numeration of band members.

For example, I might refer to the church’s contemporary music worship group as a “power trio” even though they have two vocalists (i.e., they consist of an electric guitarist, electric bass player, and a drummer, along with two singers).

Or I might say that a group has a “big sound” for a simple “power trio,” though they are actually a quartet with a non-instrumentalist vocalist.

But I’m apparently in the minority re this.

George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers could seriously rock and have one song that’s used as shorthand for “badass” in films.

Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band is a trio.

There was also the Presidents of the United States of America.

Has nobody mentioned The James Gang (original style) yet?

Neither Daltrey or Townsend called out any of the other musicians that played with them the night I saw The Who in 2004. The only person I recognized was Pete’s brother Simon from something I had read previously.

I’ve seen them half a dozen times in the last ten years, and Pete always introduces the whole band. He also makes this huge destination about how Pino Palladio had the “impossible” task of replacing Entwistle, but how Zack had no such obstacle because he studied at the knee of Kieth Moon as a child. I think Pete is just trying to explain why their arrangements are different than the old records (the “fiddley” bits played on guitar rather than bass) but it comes off as a dig against Pino.

If that were the case, the special category of “a power trio” would have no meaning, as the majority of musical acts would be included.

I’ve been in a half-dozen bands. None had three members, but none had more than one guitar, bass, and drums each, plus a vocalist.

So, as has been established, a power trio has three members making all of the noise.

Surprised no one has mentioned Muse. They are frequently referred to as a power trio.

Am also surprised no one has mentioned Triumph. I have always assumed they chose that name because it has “Tri” in it (to signify three band members). At any rate, I’ve never cared for them. They perfected the 1980s “arena rock” sound, a genre which I despise.

FWIW I don’t consider band with a front man power trios. But then again I reserve Power Trio for bands like Rush, Triumph, Grand Funk Railroad. . . to me I think it means doing as much as possible with three people. In Triumph the bassist also plays keys and they all sing I think, In GFR the guitarists also plays organ, etc. It’s being a 3-piece that sounds bigger than a 3-piece.

I think being excellent players also plays a role, but that’s very subjective.

I think “the majority” is overstating the case. I can think of lots more bands with four or more instrumentalists than with just three.