What Expensive Delicacies Have You Tried?

Spanish ham would be more comparable to Virginia country ham made from peanut-fed pigs. Common water-injected ham is an insult to hams.

Very true, the Virginia peanut-fed country ham is quite good.
DAMN! Now I gotta go order a ham! :smiley:

I’m basically right there with mbh:

Caviar: Fish roe on sushi I like well enough. I like it more as a garnish to other things than as the focus.

Escargot: Tried it a few times. Every time it was just snails swimming in heavily garlicked butter. Now, I like heavily garlicked butter, but I can’t say the snails lended much to the dish other than as a platform for the delivery of heavily garlicked butter.

Truffles: I’ve had several nominally truffle-including dishes. Couldn’t tell you what flavor the truffles added. I love mushrooms, and thus feel like I should really like truffles. Maybe someday I’ll get to try something that lets me know whether I do. I bought some truffle oil once; nasty stuff, that, but I’ve since learned that it has little to do with actual truffles.

Sweetbreads: When did sweetbreads become an expensive delicacy? I’ve had sweetbreads, and I liked them well enough, but they were anything but expensive, being at the time offal commonly not consumed by people, so I wonder if we’re talking about the same thing. Maybe they’ve become more popular?

And I voted: “Homie, you Cretin! You left out:” … the ability to vote for multiple options. :stuck_out_tongue:

HeyHomie, I don’t know if you intended the poll to be multi-option or not, but there’s no way for us to change it now.

Just FYI.

Caviar: Have liked all kinds I’ve tried, don’t know that I’ve ever had anything terribly expensive or exclusive, don’t know that I’d really know the difference between super-fancy stuff and more common fish roe.

Escargot: Again, have liked all the ones I’ve had. But not as much as I enjoyed the periwinkles (bigorneau) that a dinner host in Paris made for me one time. How does it work that escargot are considered a fancy luxury and bigorneau not?

Foie gras: Too rich-tasting for me, except in pate. But briefly living in the Perigord region of France, I had a lot of fancy preserved meats and I find there are others I think are much better, esp. rillettes de canard. Again, how is it that a very few French culinary specialties get enshrined as the canonical Expensive Delicacies in US culture, when they’re not really more characteristic or high-end than a bunch of similar French culinary specialties that we never hear of?

Truffles: Another experience from my time in Perigord, and yeah, truffles are unique. I like French forest mushrooms too, but in this case I can see why the truffle is singled out as a special delicacy. There is something about that pungent potatoey mushroomy savor that is worth the effort. I can’t picture it in my mind’s nose, so to speak, but the small glass jar that I brought back a few preserved truffles in still smells vaguely truffly even after reuse and washing, so I take a sniff at it from time to time if I want to remember why I liked truffles.
No spots on the list for saffron, (real aged) balsamic vinegar, elvers (glass eels), quail eggs?

I didn’t vote, as it should be multiple choice, but not all of these are particularly expensiv (durian and escargot for instance. Hell, even caviar if you don’t mind the quality). Anyhow, the ones I’ve tried:

Caviar
Durian
Escargot
Foie Gras
Iberian Ham
Truffles
Sweetbreads

I’ve never had what I believe to be genuine “Kobe beef,” and, until recently, that was pretty much completely unavailable in the US, despite often being called “Kobe” on the menu. And it’s still pretty darned difficult to find. I’ve had a reasonable amount of Wagyu, though.

Nary a one. My idea of exotic eating is having French vanilla ice cream instead of plain vanilla.

True. My granddad kept a smokehouse (near Smithfield but in North Carolina) and his hams would stand up against anything from Spain. I was in hgh school before I realized that other people call that wet, pink, rubbery meat ‘ham’ as well.

Truffles
Escargot
Matsutake – this was free; foraged it myself.

Caviar (I think, but sushi roe also) - meh
Escargots - meh
Truffles (shreds) - well I didn’t eat it whole
Sweetbreads - yum. Are they expensive, or just rare and preffered by fancy restaurants. I guess it can by the thymus or pancreas, I’m guessing I had the former.

You have likely never had Kobe beef unless you had it in Japan or had it very recently (Wikipedia says in Macau, Hong Kong, the United States, Singapore and Thailand). Japanese beef was not exported, and so US and other restaurants and meat sellers made “Kobe style” beef which does not have the same standards or indeed any well-defined standards. It wasn’t available outside of Japan because it is only raised in Hyogo. Wagyu cattle can be slaughtered anywhere. It’s like the culinary version of “nutritionist,” it could mean something worthwhile, but often means absolutely nothing.

Quail eggs are a dime a dozen, either as a cheap nigiri in Japanese restaurants, or in certain ethnic grocery stores, or even a regular one, if you know where to look.

I’ve tried 7 of the 12 choices and the only one I’d eat again are truffles. I loooove me some truffles! Worth the money.

Interesting mention in light of the caviar option. One of my favorite sushi preparations is tobiko, or better yet, salmon roe, maki with a raw quail egg on top. There’s something about the saltiness and texture of the roe with the richness of the egg yolk that makes it pretty delightful. Tobiko, flying fish roe, is the traditional vehicle, but I prefer them on top of salmon roe, even if I think the sushi chefs may be rolling their eyes at me for my choice.

Also, on the topic of morels, which have been mentioned a few times, one of the most memorable meals of my life was when my father and I went mushroom picking in the woods of Michigan, and my grandmother lightly-floured and pan-fried the morels we brought home. I was no older than ten then, but I’ll never forget that meal. It’s probably been favorably colored by time, but nonetheless, I still think of it as the best thing I’ve ever eaten.

And as far as my opinion on the stuff I’ve tried, a good portion of it I could take or leave. I’m not big on caviar; durian is fine, but not mind-blowing; escargot is surprisingly mild and, the times I’ve had it, seems more like a delivery device for garlic butter. Foie gras, on the other hand, especially Hungarian goose liver, is among my favorite tastes in the world. Just mind-blowingly awesome. I would say the same for Iberico ham. I could eat that stuff every day. Sweetbreads are delicious, but more a once-in-awhile treat for me, and truffles are similar. Fantastic, but better in small doses spaced out over a period of time.

Sweetbreads are offal, it’s funny to see them on this list. I love them, but don’t understand why so many restaurants want to put capers on them.
Best sweetbreads I’ve ever had were at an Italian restaurant in Lawrence, KS in an old bank. If I learned that place was still around, I might fly there just to order them again.

From the list I’ve also had caviar, escargot, Iberico ham, truffles, and foie gras. The last three are the only ones I’d care to repeat.

I just tried durian last night! It was freeze dried, unfortunately. I friend who’s been to Vietnam several times gave it to me. He said the fresh durian you can get in the US is terrible compared to the stuff you buy in Vietnam, because it has a very short shelf-life once picked. He said the freeze-dried stuff was as good a way to get a sense of the real thing as anything else available. I have to admit, I did love it, and even though I didn’t get much odor from it, another friend I ate it near complained, so I feel like I’ve gotten at least part of the “real” durian experience! I really, really want to try fresh Vietnamese durian now!

I had caviar once, when on a cruise. it was fish flavored salt. Not interested in trying it again.

I’ve had alligator, does that count? Though it was Cajun style, so you mostly got Cajun flavor instead of gator flavor, what ever that might be.

Caviar - yes. There are several levels of quality and not all are particularly expensive. There are even some substitute products and some people prefer these as being more environmentally responsible. You can certainly have some very tasty caviar in the $10 to $20 range and a little goes a long way.

Escargot - yes, a couple of times. I don’t dislike them, but they don’t really do anything for me, either. A lot like clams or mussels, but more rubbery and less oceany. All I really taste is the butter and garlic. These are actually pretty cheap; most restaurants that have them serve them as an appetizer. My wife got eight escargot in the shell and some tasty bread for $8.99 about a month ago.

Foie Gras - only as part of a pate, and probably not the really expensive stuff. I couldn’t tell the difference between that and pate made from other kinds of liver.

Kobe Beef - yes, several times, in cuts from steaks to burgers. TOTALLY over-rated. Complete waste of money. Regular beef is 98% as good as far as I’m concerned, yet you’re paying maybe a 50% premium for Kobe. (I might be biased, though. I would pretty much insist that all food at all steak houses is a waste of money. I can do better in my own kitchen for a fraction of the cost.)

Sweetbreads - yes, once. I’m not a big fan of organ meats in general and I couldn’t really tell you the difference between these and other bland organ meats like brains. The texture just doesn’t do it for me. I don’t remember what we paid, but we bought them at the store and made it at home.

You should try it once, then you never have to again. Not bad tasting by any means; it really does taste like chicken, which brings up the question why you’d not just pay less money for the bird.

Game meats: Venison, bison, pheasant, quail, squab, etc. - all good
Kangaroo - interesting taste, pretty good

Not expensive but weird to many:
Conch - good
“Authentic” Mexican fare: tongue, face, goat, tripe - all good, never tried tripe but maybe I should now

I agree with some of the above posters: escargots aren’t bad, they just don’t taste like much beyond the sauce.

Caviar - I’d had various “caviars” before - an felt mostly meh about them. And then as part of a tasting menu I had Ossetra caviar. Oh my god. I am glad I can’t afford it because I wouldn’t be able to get over my guilt at contributing to sturgeon overfishing

Durian - pretty gross, but my husband likes it. Tastes a bit like banana combined with rotten onion and morning breath.

Escargot - tasted mostly of the garlic butter. :slight_smile:

Foie Gras - perfect just pan seared

Iberian Ham - as others have noted, it’s a bit funky, melts in your mouth, coats your lips with funky fat. Heaven.

Truffles - the real thing is like umami personified

Sweetbreads - have only had once, but really really liked them. The texture was wonderful.

Bird’s nest (not really a delicacy here.)
beluga caviar
escargot
goose pate
pate de sangre (darkened with blood, not in the list)
kobe beef (and wagyu too)
shark fin (dim sum)
truffles
sweet breads (a staple here)