[QUOTE=Jophiel]
Ever since, well, since Obama spoke at the DNC and people started saying he’d be president someday, I’ve also heard “He’s not experienced enough”. But I haven’t heard anyone explain exactly what experience he’s lacking, particularly when compared with previous presidents.
As I understand it, Barack Obama spent a decade teaching constitutional law, so I’d think he knows his American governmental system on paper. He spent eight years in the Illinois State Senate and a couple years now in the US Senate so he has legislative experience. He’s been on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee so he has at least dipped his fingers in the international relations pool.
I guess I’m just wondering what qualifications did Bush/Bush Sr, Clinton, Reagan, etc bring which are essential for “having the experience” to be president? A governorship? Is it the experience with working a state budget? Experience with working with a legislature? If so, would it matter how many Senate terms Obama served? No one is hassling McCain about his lack of executive experience as a governor, mayor, etc.
I don’t have a horse in this race yet. The election is forever away and any number of people may join, drop out, etc. I’m just asking about the basis for the “Not enough experience” criticism for Obama.
[/QUOTE]
I think “experience” is gained as you learn to work the system in Washington. Building alliances, playing games, buying and selling favors…all the things that we hate, but that make the system (as we know it today) work. I’ve always said, if you want to ruin a perfectly good politician, elect him! We all say we’d never do what so-and-so did if we were in office, but unfortunately, the system tends to paralyze those who don’t play the game. Not always, but sometimes.
The jury’s still out as far as I’m concerned. I think I’d like to see him wait another four years. I really like him, but I’m not sure the presidency is the most effective spot for him at this point. And would an unsuccessful run in '08 ruin his chances for ever beoming president? We’ll see…a lot can happen in two years. He’s bright, he connects with the people, and above all, I think his heart and head are in the right place. I’d love to see him change the tide in Washington. Will they/we let him? That would be the $64K question.