What experiments can I do with hydrochloric acid?

Well, the idea is the take the balloon (or condom, per Kevbo) off of the bottle, tie off the end, and let it fly, free as a bird. You are quite correct that the air-speed velocity of the laden Condomburg or Hindenballoon would be pretty low.

BTW, while Kevbo’s condom idea is a swell one, I’m not so sure about the lye. Combining NaOH and HCl might cause sumfin to asplode.

There is no bicarbonate in any of those. Tums are calcium carbonate. There are different formulations of Mylanta, some of which contain magnesium hydroxide/aluminum hydroxide, and some of which contain magnesium hydroxide/calcium carbonate.

Huh. Well, that’s what I get for relying on memory. Maybe the bicarbonate salts are older formulations?

Oh well.

Mg(OH)2 + 2HCl -> MgCl2 + 2H2
Al(OH)3 + 3HCl -> AlCl3 + 3H2O
CaCO3 + 2HCl -> CaCl2 + H2CO3

It’s well known that carbonic acid in water exists at an equilibrium with atomospheric CO2, so most of product will actually evolve as CO2(g) plus some leftover water…

H2CO3 <-> H2O + CO2

Bubbles…wheeee!

I never took chemistry in high school. I don’t remember why, but it seemed I had a full schedule already. But I remember from jr. high that you could make hydrogen using HCl and zinc.

I’m assuming, of course, that the OP is playing with a common stock of muratic acid one is able to purchase at the hardware store, often around 6-10N or roughly 20-30% wt/vol HCl to water.

I would be careful about trying Joey P’s suggestion - I can recall an incident from my mis-spent youth where I dropped a small clump of steel wool into a beaker of dilute HCl (muriatic acid) and then had to deal with the roiling clouds of chlorine gas that came up and spilled over the sides of the beaker. It was quite pretty looking but chlorine gas is very nasty. By the way, I had taken the precaution of having a large pail of water handy - I just dumped the beaker into it to stop the reaction.

Although I’m not suggesting that anyone else try this, once I realized that I could produce Cl, and knowing that H + Cl is a very exothermic reaction, I tried another experiment where I filled a larger ballon with hydrogen, a smaller ballon with chlorine, taped them together with a potassium nitrate soaked string wedged at the point of contact. It took some trial and error to get the right amounts of each gas so that the resulting contraption was bouyant enough to lift, but if you start the string smoldering and then release the balloons (at night, with very little wind and outdoors) the resulting ball of flame in the sky can be impressive.

Gah!! Left out some oxygen…

Mg(OH)2 + 2HCl -> MgCl2 + 2H2O

I swear, I don’t even see the mistakes until hours later…Am I paranoid to think the hamsters are sabotaging my posts?

He said swell…heh ehe.

Don’t use the Hydrochloric acid, just lye, (draino powder will work) a ball of aluminum foil, and some water.

H2 is faily small molicule, so the leakage rate through a condom is high. Too long a fuse and tends to come down before the “event”.

Well the penny finished dissolving. I didn’t expect the shell to be so thin. It feels thinner than aluminum foil. I’m working on the mini Hindenburg now. Next, maybe I’ll get some sulfuric acid and make calcium sulfate from antacid tablets. Chemistry is fun.

Is it just me, or does that look like a “Famous last post” or what? :slight_smile:

Have you done the egg trick yet? HCl will dissolve the shell, leaving the inner membrane intact. You end up with a wiggly soft egg shaped thing. You’ll want to dilute your HCl about 4:1 with water so things don’t go too fast.
IIRC, you can actually suck your finished egg into a glass coke bottle by lighting a strip of paper, putting that in the coke bottle, and then covering the hole with the egg while the paper’s still burning.

Vinegar, being a weak solution of acetic acid, will work for that as well. Acetic acid will not cause ovalbumin to precipitate, but some mineral acids might, as they do other proteins like casein and lactoalbumins in milk. I’d say dilute the HCl quite a bit, or else it may be so strong you’ll sort of curdle the egg.

I did the egg thing with vinegar when I was a little kid. It feels like a water balloon afterwards. Maybe I’ll do it again for the hell of it, even though it’s not new to me.

I was just thinking the same thing. It’s been decades.