What food trends have you noticed?

Chipotle peppers. Up through about the mid 90s or so, only Mexican food aficionados had heard of these smoked jalapenos. Now if you want to sex up any kind of sauce or spread, just add chipotle to it. Mayo too boring for you? Try mayo with chipotle! Barbecue sauce doesn’t quite have that zing you need? Try BBQ with chipotle! Don’t get me wrong, I like chipotles, but they seem to be in everywhere these days.

Also, there’s been a growing trend towards organ meats and offal. Lard and animal fats are slowly being reintroduced into mainstream kitchens. Old world style charcuterie is catching on. In terms of drinks, the popularity of rye whiskey has been steadily growing since about 2003-ish. There’s a drink that went from being the most popular distilled beverage in America, to near-extinction, and now is back again.

I now live in an area that is about 20 to 30 years behind the rest of the nation, culinarily speaking. We’re talking about a region that still makes a big deal about surf-and-turf and meat-and-three dinners, where ethnic cuisines that are common elsewhere are rare or nonexistent (Mexican, Ethiopian, cuisines of South American countries, etc), and you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a classic red-sauce-and checkered-tablecloth Italian restaurant or Greek diner.

I am seeing a lot of tapas dishes around, not just for Spanish food, but also for other cuisines.

Toronto’s kind of funny. Because we’re so multicultural, ethnic food fads are kind of funny to us… we’ve been eating Indian, Vietnamese, dim sum and Ethiopian for yeeeears, and we can’t figure out how the food from that little hole-in-the-wall joint we order from twice a week could suddenly be “cool”.

What’s gaining steam lately in Toronto is charcuterie, along with old-school nose-to-tail cooking. A couple of years ago, if a high-end restaurant had offered up pigs’ ears or beef tongue on their menu, most people would have run away screaming… now they’re lining up in droves for the privilege. :slight_smile:

Slow food is definitely picking up steam too, especially with several of the big food personalities in the area preaching seasonal, sustainable and local produce, which in turn has fueled a major farmers’ market revival. Considering we only had one big farmers’ market in the city for most of my life, it’s absolutely amazing to consider that we now have two large year-round markets and dozens more summer/fall outdoor markets. From May-November, I could easily go to a different farmers’ market each day of the week and still miss a few.

Gourmet burgers seems to be reaching its apex, but then again, I said that six months ago and it’s still going strong… so I guess I give it another year or two before the gourmet hot dog craze kicks in. :slight_smile:

Deconstruction, molecular gastronomy, chi-chi wine bars, small plates (or tapas or mezzes)… all those already came and went here.

(Oh, and proper Southern-style BBQ seems to be making a slow emergence… I’m hoping and praying this is the beginning of a new trend, because we’re woefully deprived of proper BBQ up here)

Not very.
I think I may remember it from a decade ago (but I wouldn’t rely on those memories) and I’m sure they were commonplace 5 years ago (memories I can rely on, and date).
I’m assuming there are differences between regional & national trends.

Around here, pho noodle is now ubiquitous and is even becoming known in the Applebees segment of the population. Vietnamese shops are also mainstreaming their menus more with sandwiches and salads, even “bistroizing” themselves.

And bubble tea! Yay for bubble tea (or boba, or milk tea, or whatever you want to call it).

In the first half of the 20th century there were a lot of one off (mom and pop type) European restaurants. German beer gardens were popular in the northern part of the country especially. There seemed to be a lot more Greek and Russian restaurants during the 50s through the 70’s. Italian and French restaurants were a huge success. Now, the first and second generation have moved on to other ventures. It’s getting hard to find Italian restaurants owned by people who have a direct connection to Italy, but Olive Gardens and Macaroni Grills are everywhere.

Little romantic French restaurants weren’t hard to find in Anytown; Julia Child was teaching our moms how to *Master the Art of French Cooking *at home. But the old Escoffier methods have been falling out of favor for at least 25 years - too much butter and cream! That kind of cooking isn’t even easy to find in France these days. I’ve read that Spain has replaced France as the center of creativity in European cuisine. (See also the rise of tapas worldwide.)

What replaced those? Cuisine by the newest wave of immigrants, of course! It’s an American tradition.

Twenty years ago Concerto in F and I were delighted when the owner of our favorite Chinese restaurant brought us these incredible, gorgeous little treats that weren’t on the menu…dim sum. Now every Chinese restaurant I go to has dim sum on the menu. Places like Costco and Whole Foods have dim sum in the refrigerated, in-store prepared, take out areas. Lesser grocery stores have it in the frozen food cases. It’s current and it’s ubiquitous. Lots of other Asian cuisines (Vietnamese, Korean, Thai, etc.) have gotten popular in the past 20 years, too.

Japanese restaurants have been around since the post-war era began, but sushi took off in a big way about 15 years ago. That’s everywhere, too! Almost every grocery store I go to (and it doesn’t have to be high end) has fresh sushi made daily on premise.

For the past ten years we’ve been seeing more and more Middle Eastern places. We’ve got Lebanese, Turkish, Moroccan, Persian and Israeli restaurants all around now. The food is usually pretty light, with grilled meats served with saffron and summoc; rice dishes with saffron, nuts, berries, orange peel; flat breads served with hummus, baba ganoush, or some other salad/spread. Middle Eastern also features a huge variety of salads, things like diced cucumber, tomato, and cilantro served with oil and lemon juice; beet salads, taboula - it’s endless! There are fast food kabob and falafel places at the mall - sheesh! (There’s a large overlap here between Middle Eastern and the Mediterranean Diet, too.)

Lately we’re getting into Argentine foods. Yeah…we always knew about grilled steaks, but not about grilled steak with chimmichuri! There were Argentine restaurants around for a long time, but now ther is an explosion of Argentine (and Brazilian) “gaucho” restaurants where the servers bring various types of asado to your table and slice off whatever you want - as much as you want, or bring a parilla (small grill) directly to the table. Peceto en casserole is the way we’re making our pot roast at home these days. Dulce de leche, a traditional caramel dessert is in everything from flaming crepes to Jello pudding and Betty Crocker cake mixes to Hagen Daas ice cream. You can’t visit a grocery store with any kind of tea selection that doesn’t offer maté. The traditional yerba maté tastes more or less like a lawn mower catch bag, so the stuff in the grocery store is usually tarted up with lots of other flavors, but still… The accouterments like the maté gourd (serving cup) and bombilla (metal straw to filter the tea) are going mainstream in housewares sections at the local mall.

Do you live in the Boston area, or am I confusing you with someone else?

Do you mean The Helmand? We went there recently for the firsttime (tyhough it’s been around forever) and it was divine!

There’s another Afghani restaurant on Mass Ave in North Cambridge that I can never remember the name of, that I’d like to try.

Little bitty hamburgers with matching buns, like White Castle. They’re everywhere - grocery stores, frozen foods, and restaurants. The dreaded Applebee’s was pushing them hard for a while, they must be a really cheap item for the restaurant, and it pulls in the men.

Smaller portions, even desserts, sometimes offered on a menu insert.

Dark dining.

Actual chipotle peppers are rare, it’s the flavor that people are touting. The thing that gets me is that restaurants present their chipotle stuff as being super spicy. Chipotle is not very spicy.

I think that’s splitting hairs (you don’t really use chipotle peppers on their own–they usually get blended into sauces.) At any rate, it’s become easy to find actual, canned chipotles en adobo, if you are so inclined, at pretty much any supermarket in my neighborhood, when it wasn’t so just a decade or two ago. (Of course, my neighborhood is also a lot more Mexican than it was a decade ago.)

As for spiciness, I don’t think they’re spicy, either, but it’s pretty fiery to a lot of Midwestern palates.

I have a regular supply of them.

As far as trends I’ve noticed, I’ll second the deconstructed items and the mini-burgers. I’ve also seen many restaurants with multi-course, multi-diner specials, and some with smaller portion sizes.

Bubble tea’s been popular here for many many years. I think the height of its popularity was around 2000, although there’s still too many of those bubble tea cafes here.

Local food sourcing has been in for a while too and for the longest time, I had hoped that Peruvian food was going to make it big, but besides one or two really popular places, I haven’t really seen it embraced in a huge way.

Currently, I’m noticing an increase in gastropubs. Generally, the gastropubs will specialize in regional microbrews and couple it with pub foods like hot dogs, burgers, and fries but always with an option for exotic ingredients, like alligator meat hot dogs, 100% locally grown grass fed beef burgers, or fries with truffle oil. One of the best meals I had at a gastropub included a locally brewed apple cider with wild boar meatloaf and blueberry gravy. Yum.

I’ve noticed that boneless pork chops have nearly taken over in meat counters everywhere. And what isn’t boneless is really a “pork steak” rather than a chop, or has one or two small chunks of bone. My wife actually prefers bone-in chops, the kind that are the pork equivalent of a t-bone steak; and either no one has them at all or you get a pack of chops that has one true bone-in chop on top, with a bunch of quasi-chops as I’ve described underneath. Is there a technical term for the cut of chop I’m looking for?

Chocolate is only recently “healthy”. I’d been waiting 60 years for that to happen.
:smiley:

They are called “sliders” here. And they are everywhere. Hamburger sliders, prime rib sliders, fish sliders…

I just bought raw, lean sliders at Trader Joe’s and cooked some for dinner. Num!

Here in Salt Lake City it’s a similar lag, only we are probably closer to 10 years behind the rest of the world.

10 years back, there were probably less than a dozen Thai places in the entire state of Utah. 731 new Thai restaurants have just opened up in the time that it has taken me to write this post…

Not just local food sourcing, but writing a half page for every recipe so you know just how local all the food is. Describing the farm each ingredient / animal was grown on, the weather the day the carrots were picked and the name of the pig you are eating. Maybe not quite that bad but they’re pushing it. There’s a brewery near me that tries to make a big deal out of reminding everyone where they get their food but fail at it. Pierogies by Mrs. T. Nachos by Utz. Those are not silly exaggerated examples.

I don’t really have a problem with gastropubs except that I don’t think they need a name or are a trend. Why do we need a special name for a pub that happens to have good beer and good food? I certainly don’t mean to attack you, I just think it’s unnecessary for them to be something rather than nothing.

Other trends include things like deconstructionism and molecular gastronomy and that silly culinary foam and anything else that was kind of weird when Ferran Adria did it and hasn’t improved by being copied.

*Blargh. * I consider myself to have a diverse enough palate, but after spending 9 days in Peru over the summer, I do believe I will hurl if I ever even smell Peruvian food again. God, I can smell it now that I’m thinking about it- that shit is haunting me. There’s some spice that was in a lot of the food there— that, mixed with that wood they burn everywhere (and I assume cook a lot on). Blech.