What foods are uniquely American?

Chop suey.

The problem you have is the country is too new. People were eating for quite a while before the |USA happened.

You could try something that’s more of a product like cornflakes maybe, but anything with meat was done thousands of years before the US Cavalry corralled the indigenous population.

I don’t buy this one. Meat and peppers, the key ingredients, were both well known to the Aztecs, Mayans, et. al. I strongly fucking doubt it took the peculiar genius of white Texans to combine these things.

Take it up with Wikipedia.

What about Lobster? I’m unclear if they were commonly eaten elsewhere in the world before it became popular in the North Atlantic.

Who said “American” means white people?

Wikipedia can be edited by any yee-haw big-teethed remember the Alamo shit-heel, so I don’t think I really need bother.

You are really going to try this kind of pedantry? Really? Fuck it, I have better things to do…

Barbeque, at least as we know it here. Other countries have types of barbeque but the smoked meat-rub-sauce combo is I think unique.

Root Beer
Peanut Butter

donuts?

Double chili cheese burger and onion rings

If buttermilk biscuits are so good, how come they’re not being baked much elsewhere?

Buffalo wings.

That funky Green Bean Casserole everyone talks about for Thanksgiving.

Velveta Cheese.

Corn on the cob (apparently pig food in mosts places. Humans eat w/o the cob)

Not by any manner of means. Many ( American ) sites and — obviously — the hallowed source of Wikipedia: Doughnuts have hilariously attempted to claim this, but not only does nearly every country ( as even listed there ) have it’s own cherished type of such dainties, but deep-frying lumps of dough is neither unlikely to be invented universally nor high cuisine.
*Archaeologists turned up several petrified fried cakes with holes in the center in prehistoric ruins in the Southwestern United States.

*Doughnuts: A Definitive History — By Mr Breakfast
The modern form appears to be descended from Dutch Oily Cakes

There are a number of good examples given above but “cultural appropriation” of food is a stupid idea in general. Few cultures have many dishes at all that are largely unchanged even during the past few decades let alone centuries and there is no good reference point because recipes are just one giant family tree with countless branches.

For example, pizza was mentioned above as not being American. That is not true for some definitions and Cecil agrees with me. The most common type of fast food pizza now seen around the world was invented in the U.S. in early 1900’s and became popular outside of Italian communities in the 1950’s. It is true that there is a much older pizza concept in Italy but it doesn’t resemble your typical New York style pizza very much let alone a Chicago style one. Most pizzas, even in Italy require tomatoes and that is a New World fruit.

The same thing is true for American Chinese food, Tex-Mex and California-Mex, Indian and lots of other styles of cooking. Lots of people claim that Tex-Mex in particular is “inauthentic” but that is impossible because it started to be developed when it was a part of Mexico. The same is true for California-Mex. They are just different regional styles that have been constantly updated just like all cooking styles have. Some American Chinese food is based on community traditions that have been going strong since Chinese railroad workers arrived in the mid-1800’s.

If you stretch your definition of “cultural appropriation” far enough it becomes even more absurd than it already is. The list of New World foods that didn’t exist in Europe, Asia and elsewhere is long and they were quickly appropriated themselves after the early transatlantic voyages. Those include corn, chocolate, potatoes, tomatoes, bell pepper, chili pepper, vanilla, various beans, avocados, peanuts, pecans, cashews, pineapples, blueberries, wild rice, chocolate, gourds, and squash. Can you imagine what different cuisines around the world would be like if you cut out all of those? That is what it really was like several hundred years ago. No potatoes for the Irish and Polish and no tomatoes for the Italians.

The whole concept of cultural appropriation of food is bankrupt historically and intellectually. However, it is interesting to learn about how and why different cooking styles evolved and migrated over time and continue to do so.

No it is not. It was developed by French-Canadians in the Louisiana region. They adapted certain cooking styles to a new set of ingredients.

Oh sure. Come here and give us a well thought out and reasoned answer. ppbbbttt.

I came here to post - Lamb Fries and Rocky Mountain Oysters!:eek:

I submit the peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Coca-cola, though it’s a beverage, not exactly a food.

Spray cheese.