What foods are uniquely American?

I doubt the UK used Government Flour, Government Lard and pretty much Government all the other ingredients to make Native American fry bread. It’s pretty distinctive tasting… Powwow fry bread is a pale imitation of what we ate in the 1970s… and the 1870s.

To go truly Native: wild rice cooked with chunks of venison, wild onion and possibly cranberries. With the wild rice and the cranberries being North American only items.

Wikipedia says the Chinese precursor to ketchup was fish sauce. The term comes from the Indonesian word “kecap”, which is a generic term for sauce.

Given the relative youth of the United States, I believe American cuisine is remarkably rich and diversified. Certainly this is in no small measure due to its confluence of ethnic and national mongrelism. But, once you get off the boat or cross into our borders, when you whip up something new using American pots and pans and indigenous ingredients—it’s All-American Cuisine, baby.

Yeah, sure, junk food is often cited as the typical American food-type, and there certainly is plenty of that (Twinkies, anyone?), but there is also a plethora of good, solid working-class American food and even haute cuisine. Sure, we’re not as haute as the French, but on the plus side, we don’t have to bother with placing doilies under our teacups and raising our pinkies when we eat.

I like Aussies and mean them no disrespect, but, c’mon, their time-line as a nation is roughly the same as the United States, yet they only invented 4 foods (and kind of dopey ones at that): Vegemite (blech), Weet-Bix (they misspelled “wheat”), Neenish Tart (sounds like a squeamish prostitute) and Pavlova (couldn’t they think of a famous Aussie to celebrate instead of a Russian ballerina? And besides, “I’d like a piece of Pavlova” sounds quite dirty).

Heck, if I was Australian I’d invent foods with a lot more pizzazz, like Roos-in-a-Blanket, Tasmanian Devil’s Food Cake, Dingo Pingos, Candied Bandicoot, Emu Fondue, Platypus Pudding, Wombat Brats, Rocky Mountain Bilby Balls…

:smiley:

I rather think American population is, and always was, larger than Australia’s.

Actually I’m 1/4 Swedish from my mother’s side.

That’s because nobody wants to move to a country with only 4 types of food. :slight_smile:

I’m guessing he confused it with fried bread.

Wait, tomato and applesauce? What kind of ketchup are you eating? Not that apples wouldn’t go well in ketchup, but I’m not aware of applesauce being a standard ingredient in American tomato ketchup. Heinz 57 sauce (which is not called ketchup, but is more like a cross between ketchup and a British brown sauce or steak sauce) does have apple puree in it, though.

Doughnuts, yes, but only in the US would they be called donuts. Which you get at the drive-thru.

Right, but do they dip them in cornbread and deep-fry them?

Couldn’t that be considered a variation on sausage rolls or pigs in blankets, which IIRC are European?

The Ancient Romans ate sausages. Chopped or ground, seasoned meat is from lots of places.

How is that uniquely American??:confused: I’m sure the first prehistoric people in the world to slaughter the first sheep and cook it ate every possible scrap they could chew.

Yeah, the consumption of 'nads is pretty common in cultures where meat is consumed.

Nix corn dogs, replace with deep-fried Snickers. :slight_smile:

If you want to make your definitions loose enough, sure. Sausage or meat wrapped in pastry is fairly common the world round. But dipped in a cornmeal batter and deep fried on a stick I find different enough to put in its own category. If the OP is willing to consider California rolls as uniquely American, then corn dogs and burgers and chili certainly pass the test, in my opinion. This is not to say these dishes aren’t descendants or relatives of other dishes. Of course they are, but if that’s the metric, it’s gonna be tough finding something uniquely anything.

If you ever go to Sweden you will discover how appropriate your screen name is. Holy cow, Swedes take their potatoes seriously. I’m pretty sure they serve potatoes at every meal (except pea soup and pancakes for lunch on Tuesday).

Back to the actual topic, I’d agree that for *uniquely *American foods you need to look for things that are not served elsewhere, like biscuits and gravy for breakfast.

Chocolate fudge - invented by a Vassar student in the 1800s, IIRC.

We may not have made the bagel or the hot dog, but by heaven we made the bagel dog.

Has anyone mentioned Fajitas yet? It’s thought of as Mexican, but really invented in the US Southwest.

[QUOTE=John Mace;18961198Fajitas[/QUOTE]

I thought Muslim?