What happens if I buy a bunch of streaming movies on Amazon then I quit membership?

That’s not correct. When you purchase you have purchased the rights to the content, from the studio, not from Amazon. Amazon is just storing it for you in their cloud. Amazon cannot restrict you from access to it, just because their rights may have been subsequently changed with the studio.

That’s not correct. You purchase the right to download when you buy the content. As I stated, you can watch your file all you want after you download, but you can lose access to streaming the content from Amazon and if you haven’t downloaded it previously, you’re SOL. This has happened multiple times using the service.

Hi all, I am new to foruming (is that even a word?) :confused:

I must just say though that I find it increasingly annoying when you subscribe /and or pay for something online, only to find that a few short months down the line, it has been money that you may as well have set fire to due to sites closing down, formats changing and limitations for whatever reason.

In my mind, if you purchase something, whether it be physical or digital, it should be yours for the keeping. Once you have downloaded / received the product, that’s it - transaction complete - everybody happy.

I hope nobody has taken objection to me jumping in like this, but as a mum of 3, it is important to me that a purchase is a purchase.

If you download something, it should be yours in the same sense as if you had gone to wherever to buy whatever off the shelf.

Am I the only one who thinks like this?

First: Welcome to the SDMB.

Secondly: You don’t have to be all apologetic for jumping into the conversation. As a matter of fact, it’s strongly encouraged. That’s what message boards are for! :slight_smile:

Thirdly: Yes I feel the same way as you with regards to purchasing online content.

In my lifetime, i have seen so many major businesses go belly up it isn’t funny…no, it isn’t even interesting any more.
And that’s not even counting airlines.
And Internet businesses burn out fast, too.

Amazon may go, someday.

Go read the Amazon agreement that I linked, and that everyone who paid for content in this way agreed to.

Not only does Amazon explicitly name streaming rights as a reason you might not be able to stream content you’ve “bought”, they also give themselves blanket authorization to refuse to serve such content for any reason they feel like. And they have no financial liability for doing so.

I always assumed you could rip video files like audio to remove DRM.

This is why I restrict myself to services like netflix where it’s obvious that you’re paying for access to a library and save my purchases for where I can get the physical file itself.

I’m pretty sure he’s talking about the analog loophole. If you can stream it and watch it, then you can screencast it and save it to your hard drive in any format the screen capturing software allows.

But you need either special equipment or hardware fast enough to do it.

Though, in the case of Amazon, that equipment can be a DVR and a Roku…

There is readily available software that allows one to capture the digital video and audio of a stream. The hardware requirements are not all that great. The big limitation is the quality of the stream itself which is affected in large part by your Internet connection. Certain issues (copy protection) involved with this are not suitable for further discussion on this board.

That’s probably generally true technically, but not always easy, legal, or accessible.

The vast majority of people don’t know how to remove DRM.