What happens if Japan cancels the Olympics?

But again, I’m making a distinction between facilities that were designed as an Olympic showcase and less glamorous facilities that perform the same function.

Hundreds of athletes are planning on going to Tokyo to participate in competitions. All of them have been training at facilities and competing at other events that follow the same regulations that govern the Olympic facilities.

I mentioned swimming pools as an example. A competitive swimming pool is huge; they’re fifty meters long, twenty-five meters wide, and two meters deep. Nobody has a pool like this in the backyard.

But they’re not unique. They’re not building a special pool that size in Tokyo just for the Olympic games. Athletes planning on competing at Tokyo are not swimming in their backyard. They’re all training in regulation sized pools.

I just googled this (yes, the internet has everything). There’s two regulation fifty-meter pools near me; one at a college and one at a high school.

The same is true about facilities like tracks and gyms. And even specialized facilities used for more exotic sports. There are athletes competing in these sports all over the world and they’re doing it in local facilities.