What Happens When A Car Gets Stuck In Those Impossibly-Narrow European Streets?

There’s other stupidity, like trying to drive down the stairs. Almost exactly one year ago someone took a wrong turn and had to be lifted out with a crane. And then there are the people who drive through deep water, or manage to somehow get stuck on top of a 2 ft high bollard. Both situations happened in my own town in the last 2 months.

If you can get it stuck well enough, then the heavy tools come out. If it means the car looses some parts, that the driver’s fault.

And insurance often won’t pay.

If anybody is a fan of Master of None, the scene in Italy where Arnold wedges the car in-between 2 buildings is based on a real life incident with Aziz Ansari and Eric Wareheim.

This was the scene that inspired the question!

But it works so well in the movies (i.e. The Bourne Identity, The Italian Job).

More than one episode, I think. That particular situation it was a combination of an incredibly narrow street, a very wide vehicle and the street was sloped but the cross street he was trying to turn onto was flat so the low slung supercar kept getting hung up by the front bumper wedging itself on the flat but the Hamster couldn’t do the usual trick of taking the car on an angle to get the most clearance at the front because he had about an inch on a side of maneuvering room. As I recall it took quite some time for him to manage the feat and I think they had to find bits of wood to create a ramp to clear the nose of the car. Comedy!

Cost. Those fields are someone’s property and would have to be purchased. Building and rebuilding roads is expensive and Local Authorities have many pressures on their finances.

In many cases there is no good reason to widen a country lane - there is often an alternative route and the locals don’t want the road to be ‘improved’ anyway.

I’m still astonished at those European roads. I understand about cost being an issue, but it sometimes seems as if they husband road costs at the expense of safety. Many Scottish and Irish roads are actually narrower than my driveway (not an exaggeration) . One Scottish road was very literally only one vehicle wide and with curbs (no shoulders), so you couldn’t get of it. every now and then the road would widen into two car widths, which allowed two vehicles to pass. And this was in the middle of a broad, wide-open field with plenty of room on both sides (and not land, as far as I could tell, that was under cultivation). Why not simply buy the property and make the road two vehicles wide? That would be regarded as the minimum acceptable solution in the US.

Don’t get me started on the supposedly two-way road in Ireland where the reeds were brishing my car on both sides.

In many cases the areas with narrow roads are quite sparsely populated and many residents are elderly so the locals would rather their taxes were spent subsidising buses and supporting communities than making perfectly good roads wide enough to accommodate tourists in oversized cars.

How much precious countryside should be sacrificed to the motorcar god!

I suspect this is one of those areas where American and European experience is fundamentally different, but no one is really aware of it because it isn’t immediately obvious.

Is it true that there are literally tens of millions of Americans who have never ever had to manoeuvre a car in a narrow space?

Conversely, to be a child in Europe is to learn from experiencing your parents* driving that driving is fundamentally a steady succession of slow manoeuvres in narrow spaces, along a route chosen to avoid those narrow spaces you are unwilling to negotiate if you don’t absolutely have to. This is the basis of your own driving as an adult.

No one (apart from American tourists in rental cars) gets stuck in those impossibly narrow European alleys because no one (apart from a small minority of very confident locals and American tourists in rental cars) would dream of driving down the narrow roads to reach the very narrow roads to reach the impossibly narrow alleys that they would otherwise get stuck in if they tried.

Roads in Europe ** are often blocked by too big vehicles trying over-ambitious manoeuvres.

Sandwich

• other family models are available (this bullet should be an asterisk :frowning:)
    ** based on my experience of being a European driver. I stress that I haven’t driven down every road in Europe, or even most of them. :slight_smile:

I have actually done this, in Italy obviously. To be fair to me, it was an actual road, that had actual stairs in it (low ones). I guess the Italians didn’t see the point of resurfacing their centuries-old stairway when you could still navigate it in a car, if a little bumpily. It did catch me rather by surprise though.

Land is very expensive on our small, crowded island. Every square inch is owned by someone, and most is in use of some sort, even if only for grazing animals. Compulsory purchase orders by local authorities require not just expense, but often lengthy legal dispute. It’s an awful lot of trouble to go to for roads which may only see a handful of cars a day. And we have 1000s of miles of these things.

In addition to what everyone’s said about the cost, removing some of those trees and hedgerows would probably also pose major issues of natural and historic preservation.

Still very surprising. The road I traveled on in Scotland wasn’t exactly sprawling and it was in the midst of a very wide-open field with no trees or shrubs nearby and no signs of cultivation. Doubling the road width for the entire length of the road would have been done without question in the US. It would’ve been done, in fact, when the road was first paved. Property on both sides of the road are owned in the US, as well, of course, but there seems to be a fundamental difference in philosophy between the US and Europe.

That said, the road was extremely well constructed. One other thing I noticed is that in Europe both roads and ho,es appeared to be more solidly and durably constructed than in the US.

I’d be hesitant to recommend making things more similar to the US without a lot more research into what specific problems you’re trying to solve. My understanding is that road accident fatalities per capita are significantly higher in the US (something like three times as much). Are crashes caused by narrow roads a significant source of deaths that would be minimized by an enormous emminent domain purchase of all the land around these roads? If you were going to spend those billions of pounds would that be the thing that has the best return on investment in terms of road safety? And would a faster, wider road actually be safer? It’s not obviously true.

I can’t say that the UK specifically benefits from narrower, slower roads rather than other factors (poorer training, more drinking, etc.) but it isn’t implausible that it would have a positive impact. A faster road would have a higher risk for high speed crashes at intersections. It’d also likely attract more traffic, perhaps from a restricted access highway more able to safely handle high speed long distant traffic.

I have to admit that I am surprised that the UK and Irish accident rate and fatalities are so low. My experience from observation (and from being a passenger) is that the drivers go surprisingly fast on roads where the visibility of the road ahead is pretty low, especially around curves. Combined with how narrow even two-lane roads are, and the possibility of anything – cyclists, a very large truck, or a herd of cows – being around the curve, I would expect a carnival of carnage. That there isn’t more excites my wonder and admiration.

Perhaps that one was truly empty but lots of the hedges and walls alongside the roads in lots of the UK countryside are truly ancient. 70% of hedgerows in the UK are protected because they are considered “important” due to wildlife, historical, or archeological reasons.

In my experience driving down country lanes - including with people from that area - it involves having your eyes on stalks knowing that at any moment you’re going to encounter a car coming the other way. I’ve been on hundreds of journeys like this with a local driving much faster than I was comfortable with but never did we come close to an accident. I’m sure it happens fairly frequently but head-on collisions on country roads isn’t something that you ever hear about.

When roads are narrow and unexpected things could be around every corner people SLOW DOWN. Widen the roads and watch people act like assholes–I live on what is, for Portland, a fairly wide suburban street, speed limit is 20 as it is for every residential street and the section I live on is only six blocks long (about 1600 feet total, less than 500 meters) and would anyone care to venture a guess on how often a car comes ripping down this street in excess of 50mph? I guarantee your guess will be much too low. Further in towards downtown the streets are narrower and there are cars parked along both sides, which leaves a lane about one car wide with maybe room for a bicyclist. You navigate an oncoming car by whoever is closest to a gap for a driveway ducking in to let the other pass. Ain’t NOBODY going 50 on those streets, I guarantee it.

Narrow roads are a benefit, if what you want is not to die on the road. And, as has been pointed out, it would bankrupt the UK to buy up enough “unused” land on the sides of those roads because it only looks unused to the passing occasional motorist. If you live there you know exactly what that land is used for and nobody who owns it is willing to give any of it up. The US had the dubious benefit of genociding itself into ownership of millions of acres of uninhabited land that was claimed by the government and if that government wanted it, they took it. Hence millions of miles of very wide roads. That’s not possible anywhere in the UK or Europe.

Sounds like a road not many people would be driving down, so there’s not a lot of need to change it for drivers, while inconveniencing the landowners and not being great for the natural landscape you’re there to see.

That’s one of the other reasons the roads in the countryside aren’t widened - if you want to visit there as a tourist, or just enjoy living there as a local, you like not having big roads.

TBF I hate those tiny roads with passing spaces and big walls or hedges (as a passenger visiting the area). They’re terrifying! But it’s better than losing the nature I’d gone there for in the first place.

For the tiny roads in cities, most small cars can get through, but the entrance usually makes it obvious if that’s going to be difficult. So you take a different route.

If you did actually get stuck, for very small small cars that point might be too far in for a tow truck, but, especially if you drain the tank of fuel first, to reduce the weight, humans will be able to drag it out, possibly with the help of ropes, like they do when a car is stuck in mud.

Bigger cars won’t get as far in to begin with and will probably be pulled out with a tow truck.

But most of the time you’d just be able to back out.

Not that I’ve ever seen it happen - I’ve seen people back up in really awkward ways, with bystanders shouting instructions and making people get out of the way, but I’ve never seen a car actually get totally stuck.

The cars might well get badly scraped but that’s it.

Well, the actual and sad truth is that road deaths are far more prevalent on rural roads than urban or motorways - 58% in 2018 were on rural roads. But I wouldn’t call it a ‘carnival of carnage’ - it was still 58% of ‘only’ 1,784 road deaths overall, compared to a US annual average of c40,000.

The fact is, rural roads account for tens of thousands of miles of roads - it just isn’t practical to widen them all. And with rural roads, there’s a lot of additional factors - local overfamiliarity with quiet roads, lack of street lighting, a higher prevalence of drink driving and reckless driving, where people think they are unlikely to get stopped by police and have less access to public transport. I don’t think it’s as simple as ‘make the roads wider’.

I’m not saying that they should go out now and widen all their roads – that would be ridiculously expensive. What I’m asking is why they’re so narrow in the first place.

I think there’s a very interesting question here – why is it that American ( and Canadian, and several other country’s) roads wide enough for easy two-way traffic while many UK and Irish roads aren’t. I don’t sat all buy the explanation that “our countries are smaller, and so it’s harder to get the land.” If that were the case, then you’d inevitably have narrow roads on all islands. But US roads on islands are comfortably two lanes wide. It’s also true in other island I’ve been to, like Aruba (which is seriously small). And that’s Dutch. Puerto Rican roads are pretty wide, too.*

It goes beyond the roads. People built similarly narrow roads on private estates in Ireland (I’ve been to some that are now museums), where the only people they had to negotiate with about space was themselves. Even more bizarre, to me, are the gates in their surrounding walls, which are barely one car width across. Why? Even if the gate is historic and old, one car width is bvarely one carriage width. Why make it so narrow you can barely fit your vehicle through?

My question is – why did the roads in the US (and Canada, etc.) “grow up” as two-lanes, while they “grew u[” as essentially single lane in the UK and Ireland. I’m not talking about places where the road is hedged in by stone walls and hedgerows and the like – there are plenty of places where there’s a huge amount of land that a widened road could have been built on.
I’m sure that in the 18th and 19th centuries a lot of roads were one lane, because more wasn’t needed – if you had two vehicles coming in opposite directions, one could easily move over to the side. But with increasing use of horse-drawn and then motor vehicles the advantage of wider roads became clearer, and on our side of the Atlantic they went wider while on the other they retained narrow roads. There’s some cultural reason there, and now I’m curious.

Although I don’t think that constraints due to size forced narrow roads, as I say above, I do think that the availability of wide open spaces (not only free from towns, walls, and the like, but also freedom from hills, rills, valleys, etc. and the presence of large flat open spaces) DID contribute to street patterns, in America, at least (I’m not familiar with elsewhere). Where I grew up in the East, streets are often narrow, but invariably twisted and turning and not crossing at right angles, because they follow the shape of the land. But when you get to the states of the Plains - Lincoln and Omaha Nebraska, for instance, the streets become wide and straight and cross each other at right angles. This system reached a sort of pinnacle in Salt Lake City, where not only are the streets extremely wide (Brigham Young was said to have boasted that you could turn a carriage around in a street. Several years ago they were able to put in light rail through SLC without any serious disruption because they had plenty of room to put it right there in the existing street.) And the streets are numbered 100 house numbers tio the block and all streets numbered, a system that extends beyond Salt Lake Ciyty to several surrounding towns without changing the numbers.

Of course, they were starting with a blank slate, and could do what they wanted. But it was having all that flat open space that let them easily put in those regular, straight roads. American counties follow much the same pattern – small and irregular in the east, but forming regular squares in nice order when you get to the western plains. (But then they got into mountains and deserts that messed up the pattern. But look at the regular tesselation of Iowa and Nebraska and large parts of Texas):