What helped you quit smoking?

Patches
And having a child late in life (41)
And having a severe chest infection that took 2 lots of antibiotics to beat within weeks of quitting
That was 5yrs ago and I have never even been tempted since
Thank goodness.

I was a very heavy smoker, at least 3 packs/day, of a very strong brand. I finally quit, with the help of desensitization therapy.

I made a list of several brands of cigarets, in descending order of nicotine content, starting with the brand I was currently smoking. I switched to the next brand down, which seemed extremely weak to me. I allowed myself to smoke as much as I wanted. Eventually this brand started to seem normal to me. At this point I switched to the next brand on the list, until that brand seemed normal. Eventually I was smoking the mildlest brand on the market, and I smoked it for maybe a month. One afternoon, it occurred to me that I hadn’t had a cigaret all day, and I didn’t miss it. That was 24 years ago. I haven’t had a cigaret in all that time, and haven’t had any desire to have one.

I always thought that aversion therapy was bullshit, not to mention cruel.

I quit cold turkey after a cervical cancer scare. My doc explained that, while there was no link whatsoever between smoking and cervical cancer, wouldn’t it be nice to never have this conversation again? She sold me. Turned out the condition was merely pre-cancerous, not cancer, but I quit anyway.

It was a bitch, no doubt about it. I was a 2 pack + smoker for many years, and it has been 11 years since I quit. No cheating after the last official smoke- if I cheated today, I would be back up to my old habit in a heartbeat, and I don’t think I could quit again, it was too hard.

In the case of my Mom, it was cold turkey… helped by the fact that she’s a rehab nurse. Nothing like seeing the long-term results of smoking every day when you go into work…

<< You stay here. I’ll go get help. >>

I watched both my mother and mother in law die terrible deaths because of cigarettes. After my MIL died, I decided that was not the way I want to go. I quit using filters that gradually reduced the amount of tar and nicotine in each smoke. I quit about 10 years ago and have not even considered smoking since. My wife quit in 1996 and unfortunately, started again a few years later. She has found it 10 times harder to quit now. She has tried patches and gum but to no avail.

When I quit for the last time, I kept a partial pack, open, on a shelf. When I got a craving a few days later, I took one of these extremely stale cigarettes and lit it. I took an extremely big puff down into my lungs. The stale smoke tasted really awful, and the huge lungful after a few days of clean air started a coughing fit. I stubbed it out, and I never went back.

The second time Marcie was hospitalized with bronchitis due to second hand smoke, I quit. It has been a little over five years, I believe–somewhere in that range, anyway. I smoked for forty plus years.

just keep looking at ure teeth, and then trying to impress girls with ure smile, I’m afraid the habit has to go :slight_smile:

I have also contributed to many threads on this subject, but I’ll toss in my method: Sunflower Seeds.

I smoked about a pack a day from age 15 to 22, then switched to sunflower seeds to try and quit. I am seriously orally fixated - in fact, I’m chewing on some sort of piece of plastic right now and I have no idea where it came from nor what it is, probably a piece of pen - and eating the seeds did it for me. I haven’t smoked since then, and I’m 33 now.

Of course, I’m addicted to salt and will probably die of hardened arteries, but my lungs will look great! :slight_smile:

[David Koresh]

A fire extinguisher.

[/David Koresh]