What, if any, civil rights did we lose during WWII?

Basically, this is ridiculous. The 16th Amendment was proposed on July 12, 1909, and declared ratified on February 25, 1913. It was to be as permanent as any other amendment. Nor was it proposed by a band of clairvoyants.

Yes, remember that part where the Iraqi and Afghani air forces flew planes into buildings. I don’t think kanicbird is saying we weren’t attacked, I think he’s suggesting that there’s a difference between freelance terrorists attacking us and an organized military attack like Pearl Harbor.

I’m not trying to start a fight, but I don’t think that rationing counts. I’d agree readily if you said that it was the government getting involved in the day-to-day lives of Americans who’d done nothing wrong. However, I don’t recall the Constitution outlining the right for an American to go out and buy twenty gallons of gasoline (or whatever) whenever they want. It’s a luxury, not a basic civil right such as freedom of the press.

Ah, but the first income tax that affected any significant portion of the population was enacted for WW1. Google “income tax world war,” to learn the history of the income tax in the US. Prior to WW1, the top income tax bracket was 1%, and only about 3% of the population was rich enough to have to pay it. It was more of a luxury tax than anything else. For WW1, the top bracket was bumped up to 77%, supposedly as a temporary measure. They did lower it after the war – to 25% :dubious: For WW2, the top tax bracket was 91% (!!!) These days, the top tax bracket (as near as I can tell from some more quick Googling) is 35%.

At least some American peace church members were conscripted, then interned when they refused to cooperate with the military. During WWII, conscientious objectors (COs) were interned in work camps, where they were forced to do manual labor for little, if any, wages. In 1947, this was scrapped in favor of working in the national interest, which paid wages. Until 1970, COs had to have a religious basis for their pacifism.

It’s important to note that these people weren’t interned because of their ethnicity. During WWII, the government thought that their pacifism would spread, so COs were to be kept isolated to keep that from happening.

(Obligatory Wikipedia link.)

Robin

It astounds me to this day that the people of Japanese ancestory were basically put in a prizon of sorts during the war. I’m married to a Japanese woman and if the government came knocking to lock her up based solely on her race they would have to do it over my dead body. And I mean that sincerely.

As surprised as those residents would be to hear that the United States has declared war. Rhetoric aside, this “war” is unwinnable simply because it isn’t a war.

I’ve heard that Italian-Americans were treated pretty bad by the police before during and after the war, especially in the big eastern cities.

I was going to suggest the Draft, but it turns out that was started in 1940, before we got involved in the war. However, it wasn’t ended until 1973, so it did continue after the war was over.

Considering this is kanicbird you’re talking about, I very much doubt it. Either Sam is being whooshed or he’s just accepting the setup.

-Joe

It wasn’t just Japanese/Italian/etc folks in WWII who got short shrift. Up here in the PNW and Alaska, a lot of Native Americans also got interned. There was a documentary going the rounds recently, and the Seattle P-I did a whole article about it, I believe.