What if politicians were required to live like their constituents?

My hope would be that since M is based on the largest, not the wealthiest constituency you have served, then larger constituencies can help mitigate these problems; a state can limit the excesses and problems of a single city/township within it, for instance. Plus there’s the fact that the richer constituents might not be inclined to live in such enclaves themselves. Consider that, in order for the mayor of BillionaireVille to be paid M yearly income, and have M net worth, the taxes of BillionaireVille have to be high enough to afford to pay that.

This I do see as an issue; if you do well in a smaller constituency, bringing up the standard of living for that region, it might disincentivize you to move up to a larger constituency and maybe take a pay cut. We want the people who have actually improved their constituencies to move up and do the same for larger parts of the nation, but allowing someone to keep the pay from the richest constituency they’ve had seems problematic, since it gives them no real incentive to improve the larger level either.

Just quoting this bit, but replying to various of your points in general…yeah, several of those things sound like they might be problems. The question then would be whether there’s any way to alter the rules to maintain the idea, the purpose of the concept: making sure politicians and policymakers are compensated in a way that both keeps them living like their constituents rather than getting to live like a tiny percentage of the richest constituents, and also directly rewards them for improving the lives of the majority of their constituents rather than tailoring policies to special interests?

I don’t think the insurance issue would be a problem (since the point of insurance is to make you whole, not make you rich when something bad happens); if their property is destroyed, they get to restore it back to the limit. And life insurance, since you’re no longer alive to collect, wouldn’t really come into it (at least not the way I see the details of the rules being written). The point is to prevent the politician from ever going beyond M. And while the politician may not personally benefit from civil prosecution, it doesn’t mean that judgements in their favor can’t happen; the money just doesn’t go to them. Yes, I suppose this does reduce the incentive to go through such prosecution, but if some company is intentionally screwing them because of that, I’ll wager they might feel motivated to do so anyway. And perhaps that could even be an additional damage to be added to the judgement, if in the court’s opinion the entity they’re suing willfully attempted to use that lack of incentive. Hell, allow court judgeents to bypass the ‘no choosing beneficiaries’ rule if this genuinely proves to become a problem; now lawyers have strong incentive to take up cases where people are trying to screw politicians/former politicians, since they can get more of the reward than usual.

As for the health insurance thing, well…it would kind of be my hope that one way or another, they would be inclined to figure out a way to provide better health coverage for their constituents, so that they themselves get it. You can bet if this was suddenly implemented right now by alien space bats, Congress would pass a platinum-plated medicare for all so fast it’d make your head spin.

Generally speaking, isn’t one of the common complaints we have about politicians ‘they wouldn’t do this if they had to live under the same rules’? This idea’s core is: make them live under the same rules and eliminate ways they can avoid the issues that most people have.

This is something of a fair concern; I don’t mind lowering their pay tremendously, and I definitely want to incentivize them to improve things for everyone (as well as actually live in the conditions that the median citizen does, and have to deal with such issues to a significant degree) but I suppose it might go too far. Perhaps if there was some sort of multiplier incentive? Say, if during your time in office, or even during your time in office plus the following 2-4 years, to give time for effects that lag behind implementation, M went up by a certain percentage, you get 2x or even 3x of the increased M?

Regarding the OP - a noble idea in principle, but nigh unworkable in practice as others have already pointed out.

Moreover, the people who have the power to enact this kind of change, are the same ones who have a vested interested in keeping the status quo. No senator or representative is going to willingly downsize their living standards and earning potential for the sake of their constituents.

Let’s face it, human beings have a selfish streak at their core, no matter how much they try to hide it.

I think this creates a huge incentive for politicians to bribe and/or offer large tax breaks for the ultra-wealthy to move to their districts. At the same time, they will try to pass laws that

1. burden their less well-off constituents, with the goal of driving these people out of the district
  2. disenfranchise these same people, so that they can’t vote the politician out of office

In short, it’ll be like the movie Major League, with the politicians playing the part of Rachel Phelps, and their districts being the Cleveland Indians.

In the case of crippling personal injury, health or auto insurance settlements can run into hundreds of thousands or even a million. The rationale is that the injury prevents you from working, therefore your projected future earnings are owed as restitution. This logic fails in the case of a politician whose future earnings are guaranteed by the government; restitution would logically be limited to the cost of healthcare and repairs.

The path of least resistance is not to run for office in the first place.

I think none of the current Congress-creatures will run for re-election under such circumstances. (Presumably your reforms will only affect people elected after the reform takes place.)

That is not a complaint I have made, personally.

~Max

I agree (well not necessarily with the pay politicians at the 99.9th percentile part) - I think the result of this is that it would greatly reduce the pool of people who would be willing to become politicians, especially competent people who could make a decent living in a regular job. I think it essentially would put being a politician on the same level as being a low-level worker at a non-profit organization - only people who are solely interested in benefitting society, to their own personal detriment, would be interested in becoming a politician. Governments would more closely resemble volunteer-run organizations - even non-profits tend of have some higher paid executives, which wouldn’t be possible with this proposal. I agree with all of the posters that it creates a huge incentive to be a one-term politician.

I mean, I like the underlying sentiment, but it seems like a “wouldn’t it be nice” sort of thing than anything that’s practically achievable.