"What immortal hand or eye,/Could frame thy fearful symmetry": Did this rhyme? How?

I don’t. I know nothing whatsoever about the poem. I just saw the claim in Wikipedia that the pronunciation is a joke, and I saw no citation, so I was asking for more. Which you provided, so, thanks!

-FRL-

I second this one, from my dim memories of a college poetry class. Those two lines stand out from the rest of the poem precisely because the rhyme is a little off, especially since all the other rhymes are rather pat. I don’t remember if we discussed why it was theoretically important to Blake to emphasize those lines, but being the poet he was, I doubt it was anything other than intentional.
Roddy

The English don’t seem to know how to pronounce “junta” or “Quixote” (jewn-ta and quick-shot, respectively), so how can I be expected to believe that they know how to pronounce “Don Juan”?

Pfft. Blake’s got nuthin’ on Bobby Burns. The first stanza of To a Mouse:

Wee, sleekit, cowrin, tim’rous beastie,
O, what a panic’s in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty
Wi bickering brattle!
I wad be laith to rin an’ chase thee,
Wi’ murdering pattle.

Maybe they rhyme in a Scottish accent…

Interesting theory. But verse 3, lines 2 and 3 also have the “symmetry” rhythm, as well as verse 5, lines 2 and 4. There doesn’t seem to any particular reason to emphasize those lines. I’ll speculate he thought those lines were best as they are and the sprung rhythm and rhyme weren’t important. And he was right, of course.

How so? I hear it as this:

Could TWIST the SINews (OF) thy HEART? (four stresses)
And WHEN thy HEART beGAN to BEAT, (four stresses)

And WAter’d HEAven (WITH) their TEARS (four stresses)
[…]
Did HE who MADE the LAMB make THEE? (four stresses)

While:

WHAT imMORtal HAND or EYE, (four stresses)
(Could) FRAME thy FEARful SYMmetry? (three stresses)

[…]

(Dare) FRAME thy FEARful SYMmetry

although I can also hear a reading of:

DARE FRAME thy FEARful SYMmetry

Either way, it sticks out very obviously because of the lack of rhyme and the verse not ending on an accented syllable. No other lines in the poem share those characteristics.

I should add, you could add a secondary stress to “symmetry” on the last syllable. It’s not quite the way I hear it, but you can make a convincing argument to me. If that’s the way we want to read it, then you still have the lack of rhyme emphasizing the couplet.

Tigers aren’t really symmetrical, so perhaps the rhyme is intentional to underscore that.

The more I read this over and over, the more I feel there is a light stress on the final syllable of “symmetry.” Not as strong as the stress on the first syllable of the word, or of any of the other line-ending words, but it may be scanned as a stressed syllable. I’ve always liked reading the final lines of the first and final stanzas starting with a spondee (stressing the “could” and “dare,” especially the “dare”) for emphasis.

Wondering about this, I looked it up in the OED, and found that one of the definitions of symmetry is as follows:

I think Blake was probably using this meaning of the term.

-FrL-

I need to stop reading this thing, because these two lines

are coming across more and more comically to me with each reading.

-FrL-

I believe you are correct.

Fine. Ruin my perfectly good theory. See if I care. <stomps off>

I still say it could go either way–That Blake was a wily one. :wink:

That’s true, but I was also slightly agast to hear the local news guy talk about the JUNE-tah this morning :eek: Between that and I-rock, I’m left wondering if the media folks learn anything about pronouncing the name of countries or people they’ll speak about…

Anyway, I always assumed Blake actually pronounced symmetry like it looks. Eye and Try rhyme. I’ve heard people say it that way as well, though I’m not sure what for.

Very impressive! I applaud thee.

I do hear it that way, but I agree either way can be argued.

For me, the first thing in that line that distinguishes it is the first thing in that line :slight_smile: – the unaccented, extra first syllable/word. That’s what the other lines I mentioned share.

I agree.

I’m no Burns scholar but this doesn’t seem so strange - ‘beastie’ and ‘breastie’ are definitely intended to rhyme. Is ‘hasty’ not meant to rhyme with ‘chase thee’? The latter 2 would be pronounced the way they are today in standard English. ‘Beastie’ would probably be pronounced with an ‘ee’ sound, in which case ‘breastie’ would be as well.

On the other hand, I think the pronounciation of words with ‘ea’ has been fluid in the past; we still pronounce ‘bear’, ‘pear’ and ‘steak’ differently from ‘bean’, ‘pea(cock)’ or ‘dear’. I’ve been told that in Ireland some words from the latter group are pronounced to rhyme with the first group (witness ‘Juno and the Paycock’), and in the past this applied to English in general. This is a very badly written way of saying that I think there’s a chance that Burns intended ‘beastie’ and ‘breastie’ to rhyme with our pronounciation of ‘hasty’.

Regarding Blake, the OP asks

Is there not an in between option where ‘eye’ might have been pronounced a bit like a Cockney ‘hay’ If you imagine how a Brummie (someone from Birmingham, West Midlands) would pronounce ‘symmetry’ it’s possible Blake wrote down what was a perfectly natural sounding rhyme in his day.