What is a Tom Swift Machine?

I. Love. This. Board.

Wait. Wouldn’t “Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle” be TSAHER?

Is it artistic license, or have I been suckered by a folk etymology?

Darn this board. I paid 15 bucks so I wouldn’t have to think anymore, and this is what I get?

He did say that the word taser was cobbled together from the name. He didn’t say that it was a complete anagram. You could see where the anagram would be modified in its pronounciation to make it easier.

I thought TASER stood for the “Thomas A. Swift Electric Rifle”

It does.

Does anybody know if these books have been prepared for Microsoft Reader?

If I understand the entry in the OED on the taser correctly, it was invented and named by a company who wanted to choose a name similar to the word “laser”. Someone in the company said that the taser was similar to the invention in the book Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle. So they decided to call it the “taser” as an abbreviation for “Tom Swift’s Electric Rifle”, which would be TSER. They added the letter “A” because that made the name closer to “laser”.

Not strictly fair: ejaculate means “to throw out”, cognate with “eject” and indeed “reject”, and in days of yore was commonly used to describe speech. These days we’d probably use “blurt”, but the double entendre is entirely a modern reading - check out the Sherlock Holmes stories, where Dr Watson ejaculates all over the place: ‘“Wonderful!” I ejaculated. “Commonplace”, said Holmes.’ {from A Study in Scarlet}

Thanks for posting this history, Exapno – I always wondered how those books, which I read when I was younger (along with the “Young Astronauts” books that were published about the same time, and all the Danny Dunn books I could find at a variety of libraries), related to the Tom Swift books from earlier days. As a young teenager, I actually thought Tom Swift and the Cyborg Kickboxer was great, and I tried to find all the other books in the series that I could. They did seem to inherit some of the goofiness of the earlier Tom Swift series, if nothing else.

If not, you could at least download the ones that are available from Project Gutenberg and build your own .LIT files out of them.

I am aware of the non-sexual meaning and Victorian-era fondness for “ejaculate” as an exclamatory verb. If you reread my post, I suggest that the double endendre is “when read today.”

Perhaps we ought to try to resurrect that usage:

“The moderator ejaculated, ‘Spooje*, do not make personal insults in General Questions!’”

• No imputations as to the behavior of the member using the nick Spooje are intended, but it was definitely the appropriate person to use in that example!