What is extremely common in TV or movies but almost never happens in real life?

Skunks don’t dig holes. They carpet bomb the entire area.

If you enjoy bare dirt that’s your choice.

Maybe he has moles. That’s what I have, and the only problem I have is the ground being uneven. Better than the patches of dead grass the grubs cause.

I do have my lawn mowed every week because i’ll get goat’s head stickers otherwise

You guys are giving my HOA too many ideas. “Type up post-dated fine notices. Release skunks at night. Profit.” Although I don’t know how they’d stand such odious companions (the skunks, that is)

Closest I’ve seen is a string of daylight burglaries on Chicago’s North Shore where the thieves pretended to be landscapers.

College where it’s depicted like high school, with bells, people throwing paper airplanes in class, dedicated lunch periods etc.

Is that common ? I don’t think I’ve ever seen that.

There was the 1990 Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum theft in Boston-- two men posing as police officers responding to a disturbance call convinced the museum guards to let them in. The thieves bound the guards and got away with 13 works of art worth hundreds of millions. The artwork has never been recovered and the case remains unsolved.

No doubt they were inspired by the Fenway Park heist scene in The Town. :wink:

A college class with a bell indicating class is over? All the time on TV. Nowhere in real life. The rest, though, I don’t think I’ve seen either.

Here’s one I came across last night. I’m not sure I’d say it’s “extremely common,” but I’ve seen it a few times before. A character has plane tickets, and they make it sound like they can use them whenever they feel like it. Something like:

Person A: “Hey, I’ve got a couple of plane tickets to New York, but no one to go with me. You should come!”

Person B: “Sounds fun, but I can’t make it this week.”

Person A: “How 'bout next week then?”

And so on.

Man, I could rant for hours on “College Ain’t Like TV and The Movies”.

It makes me wonder how many writers and directors went to college. They do seem to fall back on high school tropes, like the jocks and the nerds only palling around with their own “pack”, and being natural enemies.
My college students might have a friend or two, but hardly the Roving Pack of D&D Dorks that you see on screen.

Most students go to class, then … are you listening, Hollywood?… go to their next class!

The thieves in the Pierre Hotel heist of 2 January 1972 disguised themselves as hotel staff to greet incoming guests before they were handcuffed and taken captive. They also responded to guests’ complaints in the wee hours of the morning while the heist was in progress.

One of the thieves was disguised as a chauffeur and left outside to guard the getaway car. The organizer of the heist insisted he be black, in the belief that most chauffeurs were of that persuasion. (They weren’t then and probably aren’t now.)

Animal House. Not the bells but the cafeteria.

Lawyers in fiction : YOU CAN’T SAY THAT TO MY CLIENT! DON’T ANSWER THAT!

(Lawyers proceed to not say anything for next five minutes as their client proceeds to spill EVERYTHING to the cops)

In cheap TV shows the lawyer wouldn’t actually say anything, just make a gesture to his client (which is ignored), as they would have to pay him for speaking a line.

This is especially true of British solicitors in BBC shows. You can apparently hire either a talking or a non-talking solicitor, depending on how the show is budgeted.

I believe that has a bit to do with the difference in British and American law. Questioning a suspect with a lawyer present is a very rare event in America. Lawyers will just give a flat no and that’s the end of it. I believe in Britain, you don’t have to answer questions, but they can still question you with a lawyer present whether you want it or not. Some UK doper can check me on that.

I think this used to be possible, like back in the 1980s and probably into the 90s. But it wouldn’t surprise me if TV writers continues writing scripts as if it was still possible to do that even though it no longer is.

Technically you still can buy “fully flexible” plane tickets that you can use on any flight, but they’re way more expensive than the more restrictive tickets, so your typical leisure traveler isn’t likely to purchase them.

I wonder if that explains being bumped off one’s flight: someone who paid five times as much for their ticket as you did for yours decided to use it unexpectedly.

Could be, but the practice is depressingly common in many industries.

“X percent of reservations never show up. If we overbook by X%, we will guarantee a full airplane/restaurant/hotel.” Of course, the accountants and corporate executives who come up with the policy are not the ones who have to deal with a ticked-off customer screaming at them.

The practice is common in many industries for the same reasons that the last few new doctors I’ve seen want a credit card number when I make an appointment and the hair salon wants me to make an appointment online and leave a deposit - because people no-show or cancel too late to replace them. The people who should actually get screamed at are the people who make multiple restaurant/hotel reservations and decide maybe the day before (or even day of) which one they will actually use - but they usually don’t because the rest of us don’t know who they are.