What is extremely common in TV or movies but almost never happens in real life?

Re The Firm and jumping into a truck bed filled with cotton bales.

I married into a NC family of tobacco and cotton farmers. Baled cotton is not something you want to jump into. Cotton MAY have been baled more loosely many years ago, but the bales are almost as hard as wood now (and at the time of the film).

The film “the Other Guys” has the best depiction of “aim for the bushes” jumping from a great height.

That immediately came to mind to me too.

I want to see a skewering of this trope, where the protagonists muse about jumping into the trash and drop something down that way to test it out, whereupon it gets hilariously destroyed and they take the stairs instead.

Your failure to distinguish between “your” and “you’re” greatly displeases me.

I’d like to see someone using a drilling with a pump shotgun and twin magazine-fed rifles. :rofl:

Anybody else remember the episode of *That’s Incredible!" where they tried jumping completely over a fast-moving car – front to back – while it drove under them?

That sounds like the modern variant of this:

People have always been silly proving their manliness…

Sounds more like a “Jackass” episode.

Except that they didn’t touch the car on the way over.

Or “Mythbusters.”

I’ve seen modern footage of bull jumping, they still do it in Spain, and they jump the bull in one leap, without touching it.

Here’s video:

Couldn’t find a video, but here’s a newspaper article that mentions it (second column, fifth paragraph).

“It’s you against yourself.”

Yeah, I’m losing that battle.

People in elevators holding a discussion push a stop button between floors to talk for a minute or two, then start it again. It happens quote often in Star Trek, but I’ve seen it in straight dramas including LA Law.

Does any elevator anywhere have a stop button? I’ve never seen one.

I’ve been in several that had them. One was in the data center I worked alone overnight in. I pulled it (it pulled out, pushing it in reset it) occasionally just to break up the tedium. The idea of doing it for conversation is pretty ludicrous, though. Every time I pulled it a loud bell would start ringing.