What is extremely common in TV or movies but almost never happens in real life?

They injected me. Told me to count back. I went pretty darn far, then they gave me another shot, I am not sure if I made it to 99.

There’s also this guy. The glass didn’t even break, but it didn’t go well.

Beatnik Charles Bronson sculpting a nude Liz Taylor in MAD Magazine’s “The Sinpiper”:

It’s amazing how one hunk of wood can turn a dirty scene into an artistic one!:

Also, someone sitting down at the bar, asking for a beer, and the bartender fills a glass and sets it down with no more questions. I know this is just a fictional shorthand to not kill the flow of the scene, but these days even the diviest dive bar is going to have probably a couple dozen very different varieties of ‘beer’. It’s like sitting down in a restaurant and just ordering ‘food’.

Yeah, that’s always disconcerting. I assume I was conscious enough to help get myself onto the operating table - I’m not a lightweight person and that’s a hell of a heave. I assume they did the work of getting me OFF the table afterward, as by then I only had one working arm, and came to feeling pretty wretched (not nauseous, but the MOTHER of all headaches). I’ve always been pretty alert after colonoscopies: that propofol (“milk of amnesia”) has a surprisingly quick recovery time, and have always walked out to the car afterward.

If the scene is in the US, then yes that is accurate, but in some localities, there is only one beer on tap so, ordering a beer is enough. This is true in Japan, where you simply say you want draft beer and they bring it to you. If you want a specific type of beer, and it is not the brand they have on tap, it will come in a bottle.

//i\\

In Germany 30 years ago when I was stationed there it was mostly that way. They would have the local brewery brand on tap for the most part. You asked for a type such as pils not a brand. Guinness was also usually on tap and asked for by name. Specific brands were in bottles.

Ironically, I think at this point that if a character were to say “I’ll have a Dorthauser and a Monkey’s Tail” (i.e. plausible beer names) or whatever, it would momentarily take me out of the scene because I’m not sure I’ve ever heard live action characters do that (just in cartoons, like Duff in the simpsons).

I think it was Bill Bryson who said that every movie set in 60s Swinging London had to have an overhead shot of young things laughing their heads off as they zoom over Tower Bridge in an open-top sports car.

True in the Netherlands too. Just ask for “een pilsje” and you get a glass of Amstel, Heineken or whatever mass-market brand they have. You can inspect what else they seem to have and ask specifically for that, if you prefer: but if it’s busy, don’t waste the barman’s time.

“Apparently it’s an actual problem that bystanders pull victims out of cars after crashes, because they think the car can explode at any moment, and have paralyzed people, who have spinal injuries.”

Just over 40 years ago I was hiking in mid-Wales and saw a Haflinger drive past over the hillside, which was rough grass. (A Haflinger is a small Austrian-made off road vehicle.) It suddenly came to an abrupt stop, and we noticed that it was in fire underneath. The fuel line had disconnected and a fire had started. The occupants jumped out and mournfully regarded their slowly burning vehicle. Some minutes later one of them said: “Oh dear, the fire extinguisher will get burnt up as well.”

We watched for a while. It just kept burning. No explosion.

Hollywood loves exploding cars. A common scene is to have a car drive off a mountain road and crash down he steep hillside, rolling over a few times, and then exploding in a giant fireball when it hits the bottom. Very realistic, if you are in the habit of driving off mountain roads in a vehicle packed with pyrotechnics.

I just watched the very first Rockford Files. Spoiler ahead! From a small plane, a guy shoots a sub machine gun at Rockford’s car, which explodes like it was hit with a rocket. Then Rockford shoots at the plane with a snub nose revolver, putting two holes in the side about an inch from each other. The plane starts leaking oil, so they land, start running from the plane when it explodes. Two explosions in one scene, both from handgun ammunition.

My contribution to the topic isn’t something that never happens, but is laughed off in TV or Movies. Accidentally wandering into someone else’s home or room. My neighbor had this happen, she lives in a 2 family home with very good friends in the other unit, so the interior doors accessing shared space weren’t always locked. Those friends had an overnight guest over, who sleepwalked (supposedly) into her teen daughter’s room at night. The poor girl was rightfully traumatized, and slept in her mom’s room with her for a couple of weeks. But in TV and Movies people are always accidentally winding up in bed with the wrong person, or in the wrong house/apartment and there’s no fallout.

How about rooftop chases in the city, where the good guys and bad guys have to jump over the gaps between buildings conveniently of the same height? The distance is always just somehow manageable.

Magnum PI had one like that. A high speed chase led to a car accident, where a young woman was injured, perhaps permanently confined to a wheel chair. Mags spent half the episode caring for her. Genuine remorse.

Turns out - spoiler alert! -she wasn’t so innocent after all. So I guess the trope holds! :slight_smile:

People also go up and down those outside fire escapes in movies and TV shows during chases, and I imagine those aren’t present in most buildings.

They had one in my friend’s town of Stillwater, MN. They had three establishing shots - two I immediately recognized as actuallly being in Stillwater, and one I didn’t. I sent him a screen cap: “That’s St Paul!” I get in reply.

This is one of the premises of one of my favorite holiday movies, The Irony of Fate..

A dude and his mates get royally wasted one night in Moscow, and have to fly home the next morning. Due to their hangovers, the protagonist gets on the wrong Aeroflot flight and flies to the wrong Soviet metropolis to go home. Thanks to the “ingenuity” of Soviet architecture and engineering, he staggers down a familiar-looking street named similar to his hometown’s, goes to the same building number on the same street as his hometown’s, to a building that looks similar to his own. His key works in this different building. He “goes home” to a similar looking apartment, on a similar looking floor, only to pass out on similar looking furniture. Romantic-comedy hijinks ensue when the actual tenant comes home to find this poor Soviet bastard passed out in her bed.

Bottom line(s): A) Hey, it could happen, and B) Don’t hire Soviet architects.

Tripler
I require subtitles.

I had one of those fire escapes on the building where I had my first apartment. I think it was a feature of inner city buildings built in the first half of the 20th Century, even more so towards the early part of that half. Definitely not as common as they used to be.

John Wayne’s car chase sequence through London in Brannigan is like that too - the sequence of scenes is chosen for cinematic effect, not geographical progression.

Yes, it’s a satire of Soviet central planning. The '70s (which is when the movie was filmed) was an era of building cookie-cutter high rises to house the expanding population in cities like Moscow and St Petersburg (Leningrad). The “New Districts” that sprang up included the Olympic Village in southwest Moscow, which I know very well.

The village that’s shown from the roof of the high-rise at the start of the movie is (was) Troparevo. It’s long gone now, but the name lives on as that of the district. My apartment in Moscow is a stone’s throw away from there. When I moved there way back in 1992, the area was still relatively undeveloped, but a lot of new high-rises have been built since 2000.

The church that’s shown at the beginning is the Church of the Archangel Michael. It was a complete ruin then, but has been fully restored since, and it’s gorgeous. There’s also a plaque now at the entrance of the high-rise across the street marking the spot where the first scene in the movie was filmed.

“S legkim parom” literally means “With light steam.” It’s how you traditionally congratulate someone after he/she comes out of a sauna.

The movie fascinates me, especially that MosFilm sponsored such a satire. From what I understand, it was a major feat to get such a movie through the censors.

My spoiler doesn’t do the movie justice–I missed watching it on DVD this year.

Tripler
It’s like a Soviet prequel to “Friends,” without the Monica or Phoebe. Or Joey or Chandler.