What is extremely common in TV or movies but almost never happens in real life?

Actual school volcanoes:

I remember having to make a volcano out of clay at some point in elementary school, but it didn’t erupt. I just inscribed some lava flows and painted it green. I think I used it to make a contour map when it was finished.

Has anyone ever seen a person walking around with a toilet plunger securely attached to their head?

When my daughter was an infant, she had a suction cup toy that stuck on her high chair tray. In an attempt to keep her amused, I once stuck it onto my forehead. It was a frantic struggle to remove it and it “left a mark”.

I don’t think I’ve seen this in real life, either.

What’s interesting is that a"baking soda + vinegar" volcano is but a very poor, pale, weak cousin to the REAL Science Fair Volcano that they used to do in the 1950s and into the 1960s.

The Ammonium Dichromate Volcano.

This baby was the real deal. You lit it with a real flame and it would burn and throw out 'lava bombs" and molten “lava” and generate its own ash cone.

They stopped doing it because it’s toxic and carcinogenic.

But you can watch YouTube videos of science geks who still make these and film the results:

I have three volcanoes in my basement from the mid-90s that say you are wrong.

I wore a bra to bed for several months after my breast surgery in 2017.

My mother has told the story many times of doing that to amuse me when I was a baby. Nice to know she wasn’t the only one.

I’m not going to search the entire thread, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned

Someone hiding in the Back Seat of your car suddenly pops up

Unless you’ve got a big car with deep back seats, probably an antique, there just isn’t enough room back there to hide yourself so that someone getting into the car won’t see you. Yet I’ve seen this in several movies and TV shows (like Strange Invaders)

It didn’t used to bother me, until I really thought about it and noticed how tough it would be. I’m frequently reminded of this when I get in my car.

I assume the reason they do that on TV and movies is they aren’t providing free product placement for beverage companies.

I suspect that in the actual frontier days a small outpost might have only one type of beer or whiskey, in which case that makes some sense, but the vast majority of us don’t live in small outposts so we have to be more specific.

Absolutely this! Mostly “something science”. In the 1950’s the cause was “something atomic”. In the 1980 it was “toxic waste”. I seem to have missed “genetic engineering”. But any day now I expect it will be “some virus”. (Hoping it will NOT be - “aftereffect of a vaccine”.)

Cue Vincent Price intoning “There are some things man is not meant to know…”

It has been a long time since I’ve been to one - but my memory is that there were “old man bars” that had only one beer on tap. They had slightly more variety in cans and bottles but if someone ordered a “beer” , they weren’t looking for a can or a bottle. And they didn’t ask any questions when a mixed drink was ordered - if you wanted a particular brand of rum with your coke, you would have ordered it that way by saying “Bacardi and coke” rather than “rum and coke”.

Man gets caught outside in his boxers/underwear, immediately acts like this is the most embarrassing thing of all time and proceeds to hide in bushes as he has to slowly cross town to get to a friend’s house to get clothes. Cops chase him and want to arrest him for public indecency, while people run around and try to take photos of him.

Movie/showbiz executives called Marty

Case in point, Heisler Beer, a fictional brand, one of many offered by Independent Studio Services

Another thing I see all the time in movies and on TV but have never personally seen IRL: Doorways with beaded curtains.

They were pretty popular in the 60’s and early 70’s.

Yeah. I saw them a lot in the early 70s.

Heck… as common as it is in television shows, I’m half surprised someone hasn’t tried to buy the name and make an actual beer.