What is meant by place of birth on a passport

My dad’s just has a county, as he was born at home in rural Georgia. Caused a raised eyebrow once.

My US passport just lists “France” as place of birth even though I am native born American. I was born to two American citizens while my dad was stationed at an Air Force base in France.This has caused extra questions and requests for extra documentation when I did a clinical day at the VA in nursing school and for my son’s security clearance in the Air Force. I just don’t see how one gets more All-American than to draw one’s first breath on a Military base!

Well, an American base overseas is still the territory of the country hosting the US military there. Like you, I was born to American citizens living overseas, but in my case, my father was in the Army, not the Air Force, and, of course, I am a natural born citizen complete with the Certificate of Citizenship.

You should put the city that is in the county that your birth certificate is recorded.

I have always had a problem with that. I was born at home. The ranch house is in Monterey County Ca. The address on my birth certificate is Box 131 Route 4 Watsonville Ca. Watsonville is in Santa Cruz county. When I started school there was some problems because the school could not verify my birth in Santa Cruz county.

I took the procedure of writing residence Monterey County Ca. I got questions on that and would have to explain why.

My passport only shows California.

Place of birth is where you were born and not where your parents resided. I just had to get a copy of my birth certificate, and it’s from bumfuck S Dakota, which was a few hours away from bumfuck Wyoming where my parents lived. But think about it, if anyone is going to check your records, they start from the birth certificate, which is tied to where you were physically born.

Monty - you have an actual certificate of citizenship? I know you’re no spring chicken and things change over the decades. These days all you get is a “certificate of birth abroad”, which means you are a natural born citizen but it’s not a birth certificate…

The last time I got my U.S. passport renewed, I did it locally via the U.S. embassy in central Tokyo. It was interesting to see that under “Issuer” was “United States Department of State” instead of the usually “Passport Agency <<city>>”

For the record, both my passport and Japanese “green card” (actually off-white) say “California, USA”

Yes, but Mops is correct, one of the things it screws up is population forecasts, which in turn is what leads to allocation of certain “growth” resources. Schools get closed if there aren’t enough kids in the area - but new ones get built only if there are projections for enough kids.

It can also influence things like access to government aid: there are programs which I can request on account of “being from Navarra”. This can be demonstrated in two ways: a birth certificate showing I was born in Navarra (or valid ID, which in turn required a BC the first time I asked for it, stating I was born in Navarra) or a certificate from the census stating I’ve been living in Navarra for X years (where X varies according to the program). Others require the recipient to be a resident (access by birth does not apply), but for those for which it does, whipping out my DNI is a lot faster than going to the census for a cert - and I’m entitled to those for as long as I live. Similar programs are in place in many regions and yes, I know people who were born somewhere unexpected “because their mother happened to be there”.

Funny…my passport just says 'United Kingdom" for place of birth. I don’t recall any of my US passports listing the town.

US passports list just the state if you were born in the US. Just the country if you were born outside the US. They never list the city you were born in. But I think you still have to give that info on the passport application.

My Australian passport says I was born in Sydney, which is strictly speaking not true: I was born in North Sydney, which was and still is a separate municipality from the City of Sydney, at the other end of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. My parents’ home, and my first home, was in a different local government area, in Warringah Shire, which still covers some Sydney northern outer suburbs: I suppose that if I’d been born there, my passport would still say “Sydney”.

I hope the OP comes back some day to explain why the heck he entertained the possibility that “place of birth” might actually mean “place where raised”. :dubious:

His birth certificate, or his passport? Because every passport I’ve ever seen just has the state of birth listed, unless the bearer was born outside of the US, and then it lists the country.

I’ve compared my cousin’s US and UK passports - her US passport lists her place of birth as the UK. Her UK passport lists her place of birth as London.

I grew up in Texarkana, Texas, but was born at the hospital 400 feet inside Arkansas. So I’m forever cursed with “Arkansas” in my passport.

No “Native Texan” license plate for you!

Rather ironic, since I’m the guy who (in 1979) came up with the “Native Texan” meme. A t-shirt printer called Schuerz & Co. in Austin made quite a bit of money off my $25 idea.

Or the territory - I was born in a US territory and have a territorial birth certificate. My US passport lists the territory as my place of birth.

I’m also born in a different city than the place where my parents lived, and both cities, while neighbours, are in different provinces. So my birth certificate is actually issued by a province in which I’ve never resided.

Huh. So your name is Robert Shaver and you lived in Colorado in 1978? Cool.

Lived from birth in Vancouver, Washington. Born at a hospital across the river in Portland, Oregon. Whenever it is the government asking my birthplace is Portland.

My youngest sister is the only one of us born in Vancouver, Washington, and she cheated by squirting out so fast he was born on my mom’s bedroom floor.

I assume the reason they care is so that if they want to start verifying your identity they know where to begin looking for official birth records so the most important thing is what jurisdiction is holding your paperwork.

That happens with British Passports too. Mine says “FCO” (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) instead of the usual issuing city.