What is the best piece of music ever?

Ersatz Schmoe writes:

> Polycarp, have you heard the Langley Schools Music Project
> version of “Desperado”? It’s heartbreaking and a little
> unsettling at the same time.

The singer on that song is Sheila Behman. The Langley Schools Music Project is an incredible CD. A struggling rock musician named Hans Fenger decided he needed a permanent gig, so he took a job teaching music to elementary school students in rural British Columbia back in the mid-'70’s. Not knowing exactly what music teachers were supposed to do, he taught his students all his favorite rock and roll songs. He produced a couple of albums of the kids singing these songs which sold only locally. In the late ‘90’s, somebody discovered these albums and got them played on an American radio show of oddball music. Somebody else then put together a CD of the songs from these albums. Maybe this is just an illustration of how random taste in music is, but I also think the version of “Desperado” on this CD is more emotionally powerful than either the Eagles’ or Linda Ronstadt’s.

But as long as we’re indulging in matters of pure taste, my favorite song is Eva Cassidy’s version of “Somewhere over the Rainbow.”

Oooh, is this an official victory? Even if not, I’m willing to gloat. :smiley:

I dont think Beethoven’s ninth would win in any “scientific” study, as its disparate parts would probably each contain sufficient “imperfection” as to disqualify it. My subjective opinion agrees with this analysis, although it is in my top 10 classical works.

Best musical notes ever: all the guitar soloes in The Wall. It represents a perfect synthesis of classic rock, blues rock, the ethereal, and by repetition of the theme, classical. Best. Notes. Ever.

Nonsense. Everybody knows that the best piece of music ever written was “Er, Der Herrlischte von Allen” from Robert Schumann’s Frauen Lieben und Leben.

Especially when Aimee Ashton sings it. Ooh, what a babe!

I know someone who’s really into “Witch-ay Woman”…perhaps you two should meet?

“Happy Birthday”

It communicates an immediate message in a few simple lines, the tune is melodic, and it is damn near universal in its appeal.

And another thing - M M looked hot as Georgia asphalt when singing it to JFK. I doubt that J S Bach would have looked quite as fetching in the same dress.

You’re right, rowrrbazzle, that’s the one. Must be nice to have such an excellent memory. :slight_smile:

As a side-note: I didn’t intend to claim the story I remembered was a Black Widower one; I knew it wasn’t since it was pure SF.

Yeah, TTT, that was my fault for confusing Asimov’s Black Widowers Mysteries with Clarke’s Tales From the White Hart.

I can’t find the link now, maybe I’ll be clearer headed after work, but I remember reading that Ave Maria was the most popular song of history, based on how many times printed, sung, length of time used, etc…

But, the OP wasn’t about popularity. It was about a measurable quality. Seems like it may go unanswered. At the very best, it seems any choice would be highly debatable.

Bach’s B Minor Mass get my vote.

gets, that is.

C’mon, Poly, “Desperado” was far from even being the best Eagles song!

In the 1950-present rock/pop category, I’ve got to agree with don’t ask and go with “Stairway to Heaven.” As JohnT said about some other music, it isn’t a cliche for no reason.

In the all-time department, it depends on what one regards as a single ‘piece’ of music. For instance, Beethoven’s Seventh Symphony strikes me as four semi-related but more-or-less separate pieces of music, while the Fifth is, to me, a unified whole. The Ninth is somewhere in between, IMHO. And as a result, I’d put Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony up as my nominee for all-time best. Bach is beautiful but too bloodless and (yes, I’m saying this) mathematical; Pachelbel’s Canon is too sentimental. I say Beethoven’s Fifth is the real deal.

I think that there is a clear winner here (oh, in my little world that is)

YES : Gates of Delerium

There’s always Didn’t Leave Nobody But The Baby by Emmylou Harris, Alison Krause, and Gillian Welch.

*"Go to sleep a little baby…

Go to sleep you little baby…

You and me and the Devil makes three

Didn’t leave nobody but the baby…"*

Beethoven’s 5th is wonderful. But Beethoven’s 9th, particularly the famous 4th movement, is one of the few pieces that:
(a) is instantly recognizeable to joe public
(b) is one of the “potboiler” classics, along with the likes of Pachelbel’s Canon and the 1812 overture
© has incredible depth and passion
and
(d) is revered even by the most snooty of musical critics

Top 3:
“Vergeudung der Zeit” 2nd movement, by Bach
The aria to “Spreco di tempo” by Dolore nel Foro
And “Mordez-moi” by the Frickettes

I was actually going to mention the St. Matthew Passion a bit earlier but decided not to bother. (so I guess I redecided).

There’s going to be a performance of the B minor mass in NY next month (on Bach’s B-day 3/21 incidentally).

I’m not too familar with it actually, but perhaps I’ll come back with my vote after I hear it live.

Pink Floyd’s Dark Side Of The Moon.

IANASMC, but I absolutely cannot stand that fourth movement.

Dragon Phoenix :

This is not meant as an affront in any way, but from your comments, you seem to actively dislike what are considered the most popular works in classical music.

You also mention that the Canon or Brandenburgs wouldn’t be at the top of your lists. What would be at the top of your lists ? Maybe I’ll discover some new works.