What is the difference between a salon, parlor, drawing room, sitting room, boudoir?

I couldn’t find the thread from the last week or two but it seems there are many opinions; from Stephen Kings It:

“The sound of the piano came from what his father called the living room and what his mother called the parlor.”

Author and characters from Maine.

There’s was a zombie in the boudoir!

Now, here’s can of worms. I use Sofa/Settee pretty interchangeably, but lean towards sofa. Is that a sign of my being a middle-class Brit? Are big squashy long chairs class conscious? I suspect they might be.

Couch to me seems quite the American word, but a Brit will be along in a moment to tell me that’s precisely what they say in Welsh mining towns or some such.

I was once watching CSPAN in the 90s when someone came on talking about teaching African American children and said that it’s easier to teach when you choose vocabulary your audience would be more likely to understand, and one of the examples was “in one group of students you’d say ‘sofa’, the other ‘couch’”, and for the life of my I can’t tell which item was supposedly more in use by the white or black students! I can’t imagine anyone in America not knowing both terms, if not using both. I tend to use “couch” more although I think I say sofa from time to time.

And the Grand Hall is where his lordship holds his balls and dances.

My mother always called the sofa the divan, maybe shortened from davenport, IDK. And the living room was always the Front room. She was wild!

No, divan is not a shortened form of davenport. It’s a word from Persian, via Turkish, then French/Italian. The original word is dīwān, meaning “bench”, usually created by raising a portion of the floor next to the wall.

In my family it was the opposite. The family room was for family gatherings, and conversation. Not formal exactly, but more formal than the living room, where it wouldn’t be uncommon to eat cereal in your underwear and watch Three Stooges on TV. Our family room had no TV.

To this Midwesterner, “couch” is the longer, three cushion variety, “sofa” is the shorter, two cushion version, though I’d recognize them as roughly synonymous when other people use the terms. I use “couch” as the more generic term to refer to both, or even anything bearing a resemblance, like a sectional or chaise.

And the Chesterfield is in the den!

Couch is three-cushion, loveseat is two-cushion. I don’t think I use “sofa” very often at all in normal speech, though I wouldn’t look askance and anyone that did, in reference to either piece of furniture.

It might be worth mentioning “saloon”, as distinct from “salon”. In American usage, it has come to simply mean a place where drunk cowboys shoot each other and glass objects. But originally, it meant a quiet place attached to a drinking establishment, or any other such peaceful place for the general public, such as on a ship. Nowadays, in British usage, it is synonymous with “sedan” to distinguish higher priced automobiles. I once owned a Jaguar MK Saloon.