“Forgive me for intruding, My Lord, but you and I need to talk.”
At the Sign of Triumph (Safehold #9), by David Weber
“Forgive me for intruding, My Lord, but you and I need to talk.”
At the Sign of Triumph (Safehold #9), by David Weber
“In autumn 2019 I was in a cold London playground, spinning my son on a lurid, primary-coloured roundabout.”
Always Carry Salt: A Memoir of Preserving Language and Culture, by Samantha Ellis
“For the second day in a row, I overslept.”
Eight Dogs Flying, a cozy mystery by Karen Ann Wilson
“I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.”
Storm Front, by Jim Butcher
“Space was okay to look at but not super fun when you were out in it.”
Platform Decay, by Martha Wells.
“When Eben McMillan first moved to his ranch in eastern San Luis Obispo County, California, big shadows would cross the lawn while he and his family were having lunch.”
In Condor Country by David Darlington
“No matter how many times Owl and I look at it, it keeps coming up the same,” Nahrman Baytz said.
Through Fiery Trials (Safehold #10), by David Weber
“In an icy creek, a mile and a half high in the Rocky Mountains, a few stubborn miners were panning for gold.”
Rabbi Harvey Rides Again: A Graphic Novel of Jewish Folktales Let Loose in the Wild West, by Steve Sheinkin
“The search for reason ends at the shore of the known; on the immense expanse beyond it only the sense of the ineffable can glide.”
I Asked for Wonder, by Abraham Joshua Heschel
“Ross Murdock wouldn’t have seemed formidable to anyone glancing casually at him as he sat within the detention cell.”
Time Traders, by Andre Norton.
“He looked like Clark Gable, could talk his way into or out of virtually anything, and loved to wear his cowboy boots and pearl-handled revolvers into battle.”
Into the Fire: Ploesti, the Most Fateful mission of World War II, by Duane Schultz
“Eight hundred years after it was first granted beneath the trees of Runnymede, by the fertile green banks of the river Thames, the Magna Carta is more famous than ever.”
-- Magna Carta: The Birth of Liberty, by Dan Jones
The Flinx was an ethical thief in that he stole only from the crooked.
The Tar Aiym Krang by Alan Dean Foster
“As I hustled out from the hangar into the Persian Gulf twilight, my muscles tightened and power flowed into my hands.”
American Craftsmen, by Tom Doyle
“It had occurred to me that holding an old rock might be light looking at the stars.”
Catapult: Harry and I Build a Siege Weapon, by Jim Paul
“She came along the alley and up the back steps the way she always used to.”
-- Inherent Vice, by Thomas Pynchon
Seven was Carol’s number.
I’m Not the Only Murderer in My Retirement Home, by Fergus Craig
The harbor full of ships lay hull to hull, their masts spreading forest-like across the fifteen-mile stretch of Delaware Bay between Cape May, New Jersey, and Cape Henlopen, Delaware.
[Italics in original]
The Dangerous Shore: How a Motley Crew of Scientists, Mobsters, Double Agents, Retirees, Volunteer Pilots (and a Boy Scout) Stopped the Invasion of America, by Sara Vladic
“Considering the circumstances, you could use another lieutenant.”
Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie
I tell you it is sad, it is more than sad, it is fearful-- for it is a dreadful thing to go into the up-and-out, to fly without flying, to move between the stars as a moth may drift among the leaves on a summer night.
Starships, edited by Isaac Asimov, Martin Greenberg, and Charles Waugh.
Sentence is from the first story, The Burning of the Brain by Cordwainer Smith.
“Acorn, the nut of an oak tree, is not exactly a choice food.”
Edible Economics: The World in 17 Dishes, by Ha-Joon Chang
“Agatha Panza von Sparkles settled into Needle’s pilot seat for the very first time.”
Sunward, by William Alexander
Edward Coles had a lot on his mind.
Bind Us Apart: How Enlightened Americans Invented Racial Segregation by Nicholas Guyatt
“‘Thicken Nugget, you evil bitch, stop murdering half the desert,’ I muttered from behind my camera.”
I Got Abducted by Aliens and Now I’m Trapped in a Rom-Com, by Kimberly Lemming
“It’s human nature to categorize.”
True Color: The Strange and Spectacular Quest to Define Color–from Azure to Zinc Pink, by Kory Stamper
“It’s the first day of spring 2001, and Maxine Tarnow, though some still have her in their system as Loeffler, is walking her boys to school.”
Bleeding Edge, by Thomas Pynchon
“Giddy optimists foretell our coming transcendence to a golden age of AI-managed abundance.”
Ailien Minds: Advice About (and for) Our Natural, AI & Hybrid Heirs, by David Brin
“It didn’t happen the way you think it did.”
Extremity, by Nicholas Binge
The Avenue stretched in a wide curve from Shirley Rise, just off the Lower Road, to the gates of the Rec’, at the junction of the Avenue, and Delhi Road.
The Avenue Goes to War, by R F Delderfield (fourth or fifth time I’ve read this one, too)