What is the first sentence from the book you are currently reading?

“Thank you for coming. Please, won’t you sit with me a moment, my friend?”

Although I think the chapter title is much more in line with the vibe of the book: “Hello, Slattern!”

At a press conference held the day before the 2010 Chicago Marathon, returning champion Sammy Wanjiru confessed that he was only 75 percent fit for the race.

from How Bad Do You Want It? by Matt Fitgerald

“The Morris dance is common to all inhabited worlds in the multiverse.” - Reaper Man, Pterry

“The goal of fly fishing isn’t just to catch fish, but to catch them with style.” A Fly Rod of Your Own-John Gierach.

'We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold."

I’ve read a couple of Hunter S. Thompson’s books, but never Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

It is possible I already had some presentiment of my future. – The Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe

The sun did not shine.

D. Seuss

“–Totally naked, for God’s sake?”

“M/F”, by Anthony Burgess (1971)

“The moon blew up without warning and for no apparent reason.”

Seveneves - Neal Stephenson

“Mr. Dunworthy opened the door to the laboratory and his spectacles promptly steamed up.” – Doomsday Book, Connie Willis

I was torn between posting

“Call me Ishmael.”

or

“It was a dark and stormy night.”

But the guy who posted “Fear and Loathing” gets points.

“A second later, I died.”

Nope, not fiction.

Our Mathematical Universe, Max Tegmark.

He got better, thanks to the Copenhagen Interpretation.

The book is all downhill from there.

“Morwenna’s face floated in the single beam of light, lovely and framed in hair dark as my cloak; blood from her neck pattered to the stones.”

Claw of the Concillator - Gene Wolfe

“Men can do nothing without the make-believe of a beginning.”

from “Daniel Deronda” by George Eliot

“For the British, and, indeed, I think for most Europeans, Tibet has during the last fifty years held a growing and a particular fascination.”

You can probably guess.

“A mile above Oz, the Witch balanced on the wind’s forward edge, as if she were a green fleck of the land itself, flung up and sent wheeling away by the turbulent air.”

Wicked - Gregory Maguire

“I am a member of what I believe to be the last recognizable generation of full-time, life-time American novelists.”

I am re-reading Kurt Vonnegut’s Palm Sunday (or al least selected parts thereof) for the umpteenth time.

Did you consider, you know, posting the first sentence from the book you are currently reading?
mmm

I, Tiberius Claudius Drusus Nero Germanicus This-that-and-the-other (for I shall not trouble you yet with all my titles), who was once, and not so long ago either, known to my friends and relatives and associates as ‘Claudius the Idiot’, or 'That Claudius”, or ‘Claudius the Stammerer’, or ‘Clau-Clau-Claudius’, or at best ‘Poor Uncle Claudius’, am now about to write this strange history of my life; starting from my earliest childhood and continuing year by year until I reach the fateful point of change where, some eight years ago, at the age of fifty-one, I suddenly found myself caught in what I may call the ‘golden predicament’ from which I have never since become dientangled."

I, Claudius by Robert Graves. The second half of the book is Claudius the God.