What is the first sentence from the book you are currently reading?

“Henry Stimson was agitated.”

The Pentagon: A History, by Steve Vogel

“The intense interest aroused in the public by what was known at the time as the ‘Styles Case’ has now somewhat subsided.”

The Mysterious Affair at Styles, by Agatha Christie

Three times for me. Very good stuff.

“The naked man who lay splayed out on his face beside the swimming pool might have been dead. He might have been drowned and fished out of the pool and laid out on the grass to dry while the police or the next-of-kin were summoned.”

From Russia With Love by Ian Fleming

‘It’s a Welsh accent, ye see.’

By Hook or by Crook: A Journey in Search of English, by David Crystal

(The preface has a much more impressive first sentence:

The inspiration for this book came from reading W.G. Sebald’s The Rings of Saturn, an atmospheric semi-fictional account of a walking tour through East Anglia, in which personal reflections, historical allusions, and traveller observations randomly combine into a mesmerizing novel about change, memory, oblivion, and survival.)

“It might take a little while to get there, but I’ll tell you everything, and I’ll tell you the truth.”

Magic for Liars, by Sarah Gailey

“A half-hour after clay McCann walked into the backwoods ranger station and turned over his still-warm weapons, after he’d announced to the startled seasonal ranger behind the desk that he’d just slaughtered four campers near Robinson Lake, the nervous ranger said, ‘Law enforcement will be here any minute, Do you want to call a lawyer?’”

Free Fire, by C.J. Box

“Two chairs. Each of them dominating the painting it appears in. Positioned at an angle, touching the edges of the canvas, they have a monumental quality, and seem to be saying: ‘Go ahead, sit down.’”

Van Gogh: The Complete Paintings by Ingo F. Walther and Rainer Metzger

Amazon says that’s the seventh book in the series. Have you read the first six?

Yes. On a recommendation, I started with #1 in June of this year. They are fast reads, maybe 4-5 hours each. Enjoyable and entertaining.

“Dean hurries past the Phoenix Theatre, dodges a blind man in dark glasses, steps onto Charing Cross Road to overtake a slow-moving woman and pram, leaps a grimy puddle, and swerves into Denmark Street where he skids on a sheet of black ice.”

Utopia Avenue, by David Mitchell

If you want to get to the beginning of the shale revolution, pick up interstate 35E out of Dallas and head north forty miles and then take the turnoff for the tiny town of Ponder
The New Map, Energy Climate and the clash of Nations Daniel Yergin

The story of how I started my first videogame company has become almost legendary within the gaming community, but like most legends, the version you’ve heard has probably been inflated a bit along the way.

Sid Meier’s Memoir!

“A murder case is like a tree.”

The Law of Innocence, by Michael Connelly

“I am a hunter, a bestower of dignity.”

Blood Trail, by C.J. Box

“Americans are ruining the English language. I know this because people go out of their way to tell me so.”

The Prodigal Tongue: The Love-Hate Relationship Between American and British English, by Lynne Murphy

“One of the very first bullets comes in through the open windows above the toilet where Luca is standing.”

American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins

“Deputy White House Chief of Staff Alexander Lipsyte walked through the doorway and into the Oval Office and was surprised that the President was not at his desk. ‘Where’s the boss?’” he asked.”

The President’s Brain is Missing by John Scalzi

“In spite of the hurry, many wives and many sweethearts had come to see the ship off, and those members of her company who were not taken up with sailing her on her difficult course close-hauled to the brisk south-east breeze, watched the white flutter of their handkerchiefs far across the water until Black Point hid them entirely, shut them right out.”

The Thirteen Gun Salute by Patrick O’Brian

She was running. She was always running.

No Known Grave, by Maureen Jennings

Jimmy didn’t have a watch. He liked watches well enough, but these days they were more use as currency.

The Man on the Street, by Trevor Wood.

(There’s a couple of books I should re-read, if only for their opening lines:

Earthly Powers, by Anthony Burgess:
“It was the afternoon of my eighty-first birthday and I was in bed with my catamite when Ali announced that the archbishop had come to see me.”

The Towers of Trebizond, by Rose Macaulay:
““Take my camel, dear”, said my Aunt Dot, as she climbed down from this animal on her return from High Mass.”