What is the first sentence from the book you are currently reading?

“It was after midnight on my eleventh birthday when I snuck out of Mom’s house and hit the road on the search for my daddy.”

The Rambling, by Jimmy Cajoleas.

“The elevator resembles a birdcage. The tall, ornate kind - all thin bars and gilded exterior. I even think of birds as I step inside. Exotic and bright and lush. Everything I’m not.”

Lock Every Door by Riley Sager

“Aardvarks are the last survivors of a primitive group of mammals that have lived in Africa since the dinosaurs.”

The Book of Animal Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is Wrong, by John Lloyd and John Mitchinson.

“My death won’t bring out the banner headlines.”

Vectors, by Charles Sheffield. (Note: This is an anthology, and that sentence is from “What Song the Sirens Sang”.)

“Whenever, however this ends, I want you to know that right now, I love you forever.”

Take Me With You, by Andrea Gibson

The nineteenth century’s most celebrated black American first tasted freedom on September 4, 1838, when he arrived in New York City as a nineteen-year-old fugitive slave.

Gateway to Freedom: The Hidden History of the Underground Railroad by Eric Foner

“When Uncle Sam sent me to Alaska in 1904, the land where I was to spend the next fourteen years was still in many ways almost as much Russian as American, although we had owned it since 1867.”

A Schoolteacher in Old Alaska: The Story of Hannah Breece, by Hannah Breece, edited by Jane Jacobs.

“The woman stood in the far corner of the dimly lit room, hiding in shadows like a fish in gray water.”

The Promise, by Robert Crais

Great book. Foner’s an outstanding historian and a good writer.

“I’ve always wondered if exercise could kill you, and now I’m about to find out.”

Never Nosh a Matzo Ball, by Sharon Kahn

“Raye Means needed someone to give her a chance.”

Overnight Code: The Life of Raye Montague, the Woman Who Revolutionized Naval Engineering, by Paige Bowers and David R. Montague.

“In April, when Samuel Sooleymon was invited to try out for the national team, he was seventeen years old, stood six feet two inches tall, and was considered to be a promising point guard, known for his quickness and vertical leap, but also for his erratic passing and mediocre shooting.”

Sooley, by John Grisham

“Eliot James sat at a metal desk inside the space ship which had conveyed a few score human beings from the doomed earth to safety on the sun’s new planet Bronson Beta.”

After Worlds Collide, by Philip Wylie and Edwin Balmer.

“People who know me often talk as though I was from Texas.”

We Pointed Them North by E.C. Abbot (“Teddy Blue”) and Helena Huntington Smith