What is the most common road kill in your area?

Gophers are well-hated on the prairies - I wouldn’t be surprised at people aiming for them with their cars, either.

The ones I notice most:

1. Ground hogs
  2. Buzzards (killed while eating other road kill)
  3. Possums
  4. Raccoons

We have a lot of armadillos in the area, but it’s rare to see them as roadkill. I’ve also stopped to help large tortoises across the road and seen others do this. I’ve yet to see a road kill gator, but it must happen. I have seen a gator crossing a road once, near a golf course.

I’ve never seen roadkill in AZ that wasn’t a bird (and I’m not sure that those are even roadkill) or a cat (I see those from time to time). Here in the desert we don’t really have many road-crossing animals.

Elephants

Well, it does happen occasionally, but probably really it’s chickens outside the city, with the odd pig or two. Dogs inside the city.

Skunk.

Another for the Richardson Ground Squirrel. Though Whitetails are pretty common as well.

And yes, I’ve swerved to hit gophers. Usually unsuccessfully.

They also sometimes jump a few feet off the ground when startled. It probably works better with coyotes than it does with cars.

:eek:

Weird, where did the rest of my post go?

Oh, well;
to re-iterate;
Deer and raccoon here.
BTW, a few years ago, 1/2 mile east of Springfield, Nebraska, I saw a spider on 132nd street big enough I had time to adjust my vehicle course and run over it with my left front tire.

Ick.

I have also once nailed a bat on my windshield.

Yes, the bats GI tract ruptured.

Yes, the windshield wipers performed poorly at removing it.

Yes, I was again grossed out.

That’s spot on.

In comparison to rabbits and most of the other species mentioned kangaroos are big and the carcases don’t get carried off by eagles, foxes etc, or get squished to oblivion by a couple of cars.

Most I’ve ever noticed was over 200 in a 120km stretch of teh Sturt Highway heading west of Darlington Point. Run off means there is always have a bit more grass on the edges of the bitumen and toe furoughs than the surrounding paddocks, which the roos come in to feed on.

Another candidate here would be galahs. During the summer cereal harvest they gorge on spilt grain beside the road to the point they can barely fly. I’ve been in a truck that hit more than 10 in a single strike. It felt like cannon fire. There’d be thousands killed on the approaches to the silos in every siding and recieval point.

Yeah, galahs and cockatoos at the moment. Between here and Yarrawonga (40km away) I counted thirty eight white cockies on a trip last week, and that was only those on the actual bitumen.

And if you ever do hit anything – chicken, dog, whatever – never stop. Otherwise it inevitably transpires that you’ve hit some rare, prize-winning animal whose genes possessed cancer-curing traits and which was worth thousands of baht, so pony up or the owner’s cousin, a local cop, will be called to arbitrate. Just keep on going.

Here in the Pacific NW, it’s raccoon, raccoon, raccoon, deer, housecat, raccoon, deer, and raccoon.

I’ve seen ONE roadkilled otter, and one roadkilled mink in the 15 years I’ve lived here. Each were rare enough for me to stop the car, back up, and collect the specimen for skeletonization.

Wow. When I included kangaroos in the poll, I did it as sort of a joke, but then figured that maybe once in a while they did become road kill. I had no idea this many kangaroos died from being hit by vehicles! I must go to Australia post haste before all of them are obliterated!

Hedgehogs and squirrels, here in Finland. Also the occasional pigeon (usually downtown where they hang around in the middle of the street and don’t get out of the way of buses quick enough.)

Roadkill, I’ve found, is a very useful learning aid when becoming acquainted with local fauna. For the first month or so that we lived in Texas, my mother and I got a crash course on Texas wildlife by surveying the sides of roads. Flat raccoon, flat rattlesnake, flat…something, exploded armadillo. It was very educational.

Bear?:eek:

I live in city center. The pidgeons, seagulls and crows seem to be careful enough so I say it’s bicycles.

From Southern Sweden: I went by car from the East to the West coast and back last summer and noted that badgers really must be high on the death wish list followed by foxes.

Oh, and I always take the train, so …Depressed people

Unless someone has evidence that some animals are smarter than others, or takes into account the relative fearlessness of animals like skunk and porcupine who think they are naturally protected, I’d say the percentage of roadkill roughly reflects the local animal population. In my neighborhood, both foxes and rabbits are rare, and so they are rarely seen as roadkill. Squirrels and deer are numerous and prolific, and a lot of them get run over.