What is the most famous instrumental song of the 20th century?

The first POP instrumental I thought of was Popcorn, the Hot Butter version:

Ain't even on the list though.

Back when the movie came out, “Chariots of Fire” received quite a lot of radio play. So it does strike me as a little different from, say, the Mission: Impossible theme.

It made it to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the US. I’m not sure how much more “pop” you can get (at least from an American perspective.)

Weird. I don’t agree with the answer, but Green Onions was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the thread title.

Out of all of the works mentioned in this thread, “Green Onions” is the only one I’ve never heard of. I find it hard to say that it’s the most famous.

I’m sure most people can name “Hawaii Five-O,” especially since the reboot currently airs on CBS.

No love for Happy Birthday? Or do you consider that to be a 19th Century song (which is debatable)?

ETA: never mind, it’s not usually known as an instrumental.

Dave Brubeck’s Take Five?

Yakkety Sax?

Now I’m home, I linking this.

I don’t know if actually sold a lot of copies, but in China, this song is massive. Certainly the top recognized and remembered instrumental of the 20th century. Kenny G. had it pirated millions of times there, but I believe he tours there extensively and made all the money back(and more!).

I actually don’t recognize the song, but reading the comments, it does seem like everyone in China does, so that probably puts it at the head of our list.

I would have said Yakkity Sax.:slight_smile:

IMO Green Onions is an absurd answer. There are plenty of instrumentals that are better known.

Am I lazy if I just want someone to make a mix of the whole 100? I would love to hear it all.

Yes, it is played at many stores, parties, festivals, and public events to indicate it is time to leave. Having said that, the song and Kenny G. in general are also very well known and popular there.

I lived there for two years. I think there is something about Kenny G’s music that just appeals to Chinese culture for some reason. I can’t figure out why, but it is what it is.

He could literally just tour and release music there and make millions off it. It’s also probably why he backed off supporting Hong Kong during protests. He does not want to piss off mainland China.

Here is one vote for Francisco Tárrega’s Gran Vals, composed in 1902. Surely one of the most-heard 20th century instrumentals.all 2:50 of it is hereIt can put you in a mood, if not the mood.

Yeah, I agree it counts as a pop song. But I think one of the reasons it’s well known is because it’s associated with heroic, slow-motion, climactic movie moments. There is a visual and story aspect to its popularity. Something like Green Onions stands purely as a piece of music.

I’ll forever associate “Green Onions” with the sunrise scene in American Graffiti.

Star Wars Theme/Cantina Band by Meco reached #1 on the Billboard 100 for two weeks. It sold over 2 million copies and is (according to Wikipedia) the best-selling instrumental single in the history of recorded music. John Williams’ version also reached the top ten.

I’d say that’s a winner.

Agree with ‘In the Mood’ we played it at our wedding. What a fun song.

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells should be in the list. Theme from the Exorcist. But the full version does have lyrics. At least live.

Pink Floyd Echo’s too. But that’s probably just me.
And PF One of These Days, but there is one line of lyrics

Wow, haven’t heard Green Onions in a long time. Thanks.

My first thought was “In The Mood”, but there are a lot of solid contenders here. Probably not the most famous, but maybe in the running, is the “Dueling Banjos” ditty.

By that definition, any song can be an instrumental. There’s a difference between instrumental music as a genre and the instrumental version of a song.

The Top 100 list has a number of pieces with lyrics: “Exodus,” “Route 66,” and “A Time for Us (Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet),” f’rinstance. Even “Hawaii Five-O” had at least two sets of lyrics the last time I looked.