What is the most fanatical fandom currently active? (not meant as an insult to anyone)

Historical reenactors have to be way up there in the depth category.
Actual overheard quote: “Your shirt has 15 stitches per inch but a true shirt from that time period would only have 10-12 stitches per inch.”

I was going to say Apple users myself.

Juggalos gotta be up there.

That’s a life-style.

Yeah, that’s pretty hardcore. Reminds me of the level of historical authenticity the filmmakers tried to achieve for The VVITCH.

I’d love to see a study by age group. I’m amazed by how FANatical my college students are about Star Wars. Followed by Harry Potter, then Disney/Pixar movies. Next would be the Marvel Cinematic Universe, then Doctor Who.

They don’t care much about Star Trek or other Sci-Fi. Star Wars is the only SF franchise they really care about.

They flock to Trivia Nights at local bars, but they only go for fandom ones: Disney Trivia Night is Tuesdays, HP Trivia Night is every second Thursday.

And a thousand times less fun. Baring Gould tackled every aspect of Doyle’s incredible hackdom, all the contradictions, goofs, idiocies, time lapses, misidentifications, and the thousand other clues that Doyle refused to reread his work after the page left his typewriter. Even before he killed Homes, he hated him.

I recently read a book, whose name I’ve already forgotten, about a guy who tried to explain the eternal adulation about Holmes. He talked a lot about the many groups all over the world that still exist, a surprising number of which are filled with younger fans. Sort of punk-Holmesians, definitely not Christopher Morley’s crowd. Or Baring Gould’s. They don’t care about dates and places, they like the atmosphere of a place that isn’t our world.

Pokemon.

Doctor Who fandom was a big deal for a while. I don’t think it really competes anymore though.

Don’t want to rub anyone the wrong way, but there’s a certain fandom that starts with “fur” that seems very … um … dedicated.

Post something negative about Beyonce on Twitter, then come back and tell us what the most ***fanatical ***fanbase is…

I don’t know how they compare with others in terms of numbers, but fans of the long-running TV show *Supernatural *have a reputation for being particularly… dedicated. By which I mean insane.

Phantom Phans (or, as I think of them, POtaTOheads) are totally Phanatical.

You can say that about any fandom. Except mine. Mine is IMPORTANT!!

I was somewhat surprised to discover the level of fandom for Cats. Not cats, the animals. Cats, the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical.

I just happened to be Googling for information about the show one day, and ran across some blogs going into considerable detail (complete with heated debates among participants) about how the various cats in the show are related to each other. Detailed family trees, laying out which cats are the parents of which other cats, who’s mated with who, and so forth. None of this information is in the musical, of course. It’s all fan speculation.

Plus cosplay, fanfic, fan art, preferred ships including nicknames for same, slashfic. All the things we associate with any other fandom.

I kind of wonder if in order to get a good fandom going, there has to be a period of deprivation of some kind, in order for the fandom to coalesce, start discussing the stuff that was not mentioned/left out, and start fermenting. Star Trek had this, Star Wars had this, Sherlock Holmes has this, Firefly has this, and from what I can tell, the real fandom started AFTER all of them were done with their primary run. Doctor Who’s fandom seems to have waned somewhat after it became a regularly scheduled thing, from what I can determine. But when it was a infrequent thing, the fandom was strong.

I suppose Harry Potter even fits into it; there hasn’t been a novel in 11-12 years, and with the exception of the “Fantastic Beasts” movies, it’s been about 8 years since the last movie.

I will admit that I don’t at all get the fandoms for things like a one-off show like “Cats”. Even considering the TS Eliot work that it’s based on, there’s just not enough content there for any real fandom to get a foothold, I’d think.

on the computer front Linux fans may be even more fanatical than Apple fans. They hate both Windows and Macs

The International Wizard of Oz Club just published a comprehensive bibliography of everything non-Oz Baum ever wrote to complement their definitive bibliography of everything Oz. They don’t match the size of other fandoms, but the depth is astounding.

Furries aren’t really a fandom in the same way the other ones under discussing here are - there’s no central body of canon to obsess over.

Hey! They might have lost their way for a few seasons, but the show lately has been really good!

prints out the Supernatural Wiki to finish the wallpaper in the bedroom