What is the origin of the cops and donuts stereotype?

I really really really want to watch a World’s Wildest Police Videos episode where, at the beginning of the chase, the camera captures a donut being tossed onto the dashboard.

Dunkin Donuts left Belfast quite some time ago, so the cops now hang about at Subway. They have to do something to keep their bulk up, it holds the lines together well during riots :stuck_out_tongue:

I seem to remember that on “Starsky and Hutch”, they were always getting some kind of take-out – ice cream, hot dogs, whatever – but never got to finish it. Some perp would go roaring by, and they’d toss their half-eaten goodies out the window and peel out in that Gran Torino.

All this talk of Dunkin’ Donuts and coffee is making me want to call and report a crime. “Hey, while they are on the way, could they stop and bring me some coffee and donuts?”

Oh, topic. Ohm…cops, like parents of toddlers, tend to sit around a bit, preparing for the worst. Being able to get in and out quick, with little disruption is probably a pretty handy thing.
I do remember that from Starsky and Hutch! Poor hungry guys.

25 years in law enforcement here. I don’t particularly care for doughnuts, but I understand one reason why one w/coffee is such a popular staple, especially for the nightshift guys.

Doughnuts are chock full of carbs, fats, and sugar. Those 3 things combined with the caffeine in coffee make for a real good jolt.

And theres nothing like being completely wired at 2am when you’re dealing with some shitbag who’s doing his best to piss you off! :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t drink coffee. I try to avoid DD as much as possible because of the stupid jokes (for some reason we have 3 in town). I will get a cup of tea in the winter on occasion. Most of the time when I go there it is because whoever is stuck inside headquarters wants a coffee or two. Everyone I know who goes there during work is there for the coffee.

We don’t have a dunkin donuts in the area I work. We have Honey Dipped Donuts. But I rarely go in there, not even for coffee.

During the summer we can get cream puffs from the bakery that runs 24/7 inside the state Fair Park. They’re ok, but man do they make a goddamn mess on a dark navy blue uniform (uncontrolable powdered sugar).

There is a 24-hour Starbucks near me that has tables with lamps and there are always cops there working on their paperwork. We have gone from coffee and donuts to two-pump, sugar-free vanilla, no-foam latte and hazelnut scones.

Old farts like me remember when there were virtually no fast food places, no 7-11s, and almost no place to get a cup of coffee at odd hours other than diners and donut shops. Back in the day Dunkin Donuts and Chock Full O’Nuts was the best coffee you could get.

emphasis mine
Blasphemer! Bad Cop! No Donut!

I do remember a 7-11 opening up and it was shocking it was open so late. I also remember Publix advertising that they were closed on Sundays so their employees could spend time with their families. Presumably, they no longer hire people with families since not only are they open on Sunday, some are 24 hours.

The town down from our mountain house pretty much closes up shop about 8pm. Don’t get hungry late. You’ll starve.