What is the real solution to the Lindbergh kidnapping/murder

How do you know they never appeared? What makes you think that every person in the whole entire world who handled one of them checked the serial numbers? The government certainly didn’t check the serial number of every expired gold certificate turned in by local banks. The only people on the lookout for them, in fact, were various retail banks in the New York City and New Jersey areas.

For all we know they were burned by the government before ever being checked. Or they’ll still circulating in Bogota amongst drug lords.

Wrong.

People were checking for them for years, and, due the fame of the case, all over America, & even abroad.

Nothing.

I believe as popular as Lindbergh was, most folks in the United States would have checked every bill they handled if they knew the serial numbers.

I just don’t understand the mystery of the missing bills (bank notes).
They could have gone in to circulation and never have been picked up. Most posters above disagree with this.

They also could have been buried or hidden by someone and have never surfaced. That someone could have been Hauptman, or an associate. Either way unless that is decided it is pretty meaningless.

Yes- it could have been Hauptman and the burial place went to the grave with him.

Or

It could have been the Sgarp women and the burial place went to the grave with her.

To me, it doesn’t indicate much more than some notes are unaccounted for.

Wasn’t there some evidence that Hauptmann didn’t make the ladder? He was a carpenter by trade and the ladder was of very poor quality? Something like that…

I’m going to try to take this down a notch or two.

As for the ‘relax’ part, your post seemed to be a bit curt and challenging. That was the ‘relax’ stimulus. I could be wrong, and, I apologize.

Second: If anybody knows anything about the case, they know that one of Lindbergh’s employees gave wacko testimony, it was a female, and she killed herself the next day. I guessed maid because I didn’t have the time/inclination to look it up before I posted, hence, the ???. I would have thought that the multiple question marks would indicate that I was going on less than perfect memory, and the fact that I actually put them in the post showed that I was acknowledging as much, so there’s no need to be so truculent about that.

Now, you asked about my reasoning for believing that Ms. Sharp was involved: I put it in the post above: " I’m just going on the idea that she acted more suspiciously than comports with innocence when she said that she was out on a blind date that night, and couldn’t remember the names of her date or of anybody else that she was with. And was it she who committed suicide? Evidence? dunno, you be the judge. Yes, I know that she may have been totally innocent, and who in the world knows why she killed herself? It could be because she was terrified that she couldn’t remember the names of her datemates that night that set her off. Don’t know, don’t care… just looks very suspicious." Melsky, above, gave more info than I was willing to look up. In perspective, that *is *evidence. You may not like it’s quality, or any other legal impact it may or may not have, but it *is *evidence, and good enough evidence to say 'there is evidence."
hh

As a carpenter he would never have reached any great heights.

It’s certainly not evidence for a jury to use, although it certainly makes one speculate.

I would guess that she was used to scope out the house. “Is that the window of the cute little boy’s room?” and such. I’d also guess that she killed herself out of guilt for unknowingly helping the kidnappers.

My opinion: Hauptmann did it. Maybe others were in on it, and maybe not. Don’t know about that.

But I think his execution for it was a travesty.

Great unsolved crimes are always fascinating to think about. To me a few of the questions are:
1.) What happened in the big picture. Was it the Lone Wolf, Hauptmann and company, a mafia job or an inside conspiracy? All the theories of how the crime happened have issues but one of them has to be correct.

2.) How was the actual snatch pulled off, on a rickety ladder on a cold, wet night without disturbing the household occupants or leaving a ton of evidence, on a night the Lindberghs would not normally be at the house.

3.) Was this meant to be a kidnapping and murder from the beginning or was the death accidental?

4.) Why was the ladder left where it was. Was it meant to be left at the scene, and why did a piece of Hauptmanns attic wind up as part of the ladder? What about the claim a cabinetmaker made that he sold wood that was part of the ladder?

5.) The least that can be said is the ransom notes had some similarity to Hauptmann’s handwriting. Did he write some or all of them, and if not, who did?

5.) Was the child’s body always at the same location, and if not who put it there and why?

6.) Does the pattern of ransom bills turning up, including some after Hauptman was in custody indicate others were spending them.

Since someone mentioned the ladder and how a carpenter wouldn’t build something like that, I’ll explain some of my thoughts on it. If something doesn’t make sense, by all means think it over, but don’t overlook the simplest explanation or the possibility of pure stupidity. Yes, it was crude and with a serious but easily correctable design flaw, but it wasn’t crown moulding for Biltmore, it was designed to be used once, and pretty much everyone has a story of sloppy construction work, or if you don’t, watch a few episodes of Holmes on Homes. As for a design flaw, the people that designed the I-35W bridge were professionals so I don’t think it a stretch that a carpenter wouldn’t reinforce a weak joint on a ladder.

As for the ladder being left where it was, near the house and in view of some of the windows, there are a couple of possibilities
1.) It was meant to leave it there as the kidnapper/s were stupid. (If the intent was to leave it, but in a location where it would have not been possible for it to be discovered immediately, it would have been better to leave it right next to the house below the line of sight from the windows, or else farther into the woods.
2.) The intent was to take it, but a kid and a ladder were too burdensome so the ladder was dropped. (This would support the Lone Wolf theory, or at least no other outsiders at the kidnap scene, as with two people one could easily take the ladder and one take the kid)
3.) The intent was to take it, but something startled the kidnapper/s so they dropped it and ran.
4.) The intent was to take it, but since two sections got wedged together in the climb, the kidnapper/s didn’t have the time or were too flustered to seperate them, which could have been done without too much dificulty. (This theory from another board)

How did a board from Hauptmann’s attic wind up in the ladder, assuming no police frame up, the idea of which I find it unlikely they would be able to pull off, even back then and even assuming the idea came to them.
1.) Hauptmann wants to leave a “calling card” to personlize the crime. (I doubt this as this seems to be a trait more along the lines with serial killers rather than a one-off kidnapper.)
2.) Hauptmann needs a board and doesn’t think he’ll ever be a suspect or if he does that the cops would think to check the attic, so no worries.
3.) The intent is for the kidnapper/s to take the ladder with them and presumably destroy it, so no worries.
4) The board is removed years before by an electrician, left in the house, and Hauptmann uses it as well as other scrap lumber laying around, not knowing where it came from. (I get this theory from another board about the kidnapping, and it makes sense to me as much as any)

(This also from another board): A cabinetmaker (Samuelsohn) claimed later that he sold wood to make the ladder to Hauptmann, two other men, and a woman. Problems with his story are the absolutely astronomcal price (equivalent to several hundred dollars) he charged for readily available lumber, and he kept scraps from it for 18 months instead of just shoving them in the stove. And none of what he says he sold made it into the actual ladder. It he’s telling the truth and not mistaken it’s possible the kidnappers built the first ladder, had problems with it possibly including a rail breaking and needing to grab a board from the attic, then decided to “do things right” and build a ladder using new lumber rather than scraps from here and there, but were unable to do it in time for the job and had to use the original ladder. But why buy a few pieces from him, instead of a bunch from a lumberyard that probably sells thousands of pieces a day? And why use various scraps of lumber in the first place instead of buying what you need. Is it being thrifty and lazy, or trying to complicate possible tracing all of it?

Can’t buy it.
Did Wild Bill Donovan come to collect the ransom money and sneak it into Hauptmann’s house?
I don’t think that Lindbergh would allow a spiteful relative to get a pass on murdering his baby, either.

hh

Was this a whoosh, or was Hauptmann a crap carpenter?
Thanks,
hh

If the ladder’s not fit, you must acquit?

Seriously, I read Anne Morrow Lindbergh’s Hour of Gold, Hour of Lead, and her daughter Reeve’s Under a Wing. Both are convinced that Hauptmann was the sole kidnapper.

Since I mentioned the Noel Behn book – and found it very plausible – I’ll answer these. In the allegation, an underworld figure, whether known to Donovan or not, was implicitly encouraged to make a ransom demand. The money than fell into Hauptmann’s hands ** because his métier as a criminal was passing hot money**. That is a key point. Kidnapping and passing hot money are very different types of crime: it makes little sense that Hauptmann would suddenly turn into a kidnapper.

As for the Lindberghs and Morrows not to want their family embarrassed by the insanity of their close relative, I find your surprise surprising.

Behn bases his case on alleged testimony from detectives who conveniently die before they can be interviewed to confirm their comments to Behn. Still, as I mentioned earlier, there are specific matters of fact which could be debunked (or bunked) to affect Behn’s credibility. For example, is it indeed true that Lindbergh failed to appear that Friday at a Manhattan event where he was the scheduled guest of honor?

…And they all allowed an innocent man to be executed for the crime? No, I’m not buying that.

Are you arguing that very few people would have allowed that, or that something particular to Lindbergh & Morrow would have precluded that?

In the allegation, it was the death sentence that caused Lindbergh’s servant(s) to confess to the New Jersey Governor. He then, supposedly, focused his attention on investigation. As I say, I read the book and did find it plausible. I may be quite gullible. I am certain that I am unable to argue hoax hypotheses convincingly.

I’m arguing that there’s a huge gap of conscience between covering up a crime for a loved one and allowing a completely innocent person to be put to death for that crime. That is a whole sublevel of crazy that I’m not comfortable ascribing to anyone absent other compelling evidence.

I sadly know a few people who have lost children, by disease and by accident, and none of them was in any presence of mind to concoct an alibi, stage a kidnapping, and plant evidence against a third party. Hell, they barely were able to function.

Hauptmann was innocent. There’s no need to railroad a guilty man.

I’m surprised that you’re surprised at my surprise!! :smiley:

I still can’t buy the letting a relative get away with murdering one’s child, even given barbaric times/treatment of mentally ill. It was his son! “Aunt Julie murdered the baby! Quick! Get her out of town before the devils in the white coats come for her!” I could swallow it for something like burning down a house, or accidentally torching a neighbor’s house and the owner of the house dying in the process, but, nope, this one is just a bit too much a mouthful.
And, the money laundering tale doesn’t wash (teehee) either: He could have told for whom he was laundering the cash, rather than the Isadore Fish?? tale.

And, not trying to get in too deeply over my head, I think that Behn is just picking at gnats: Famous people dodge dinners all the time, even in their own honor.

BTW, off the subject, but isn’t that one of the ugliest kids you ever saw???

Best wishes,
hh

What support do you have for this contention? Rather, why do *you *believe it?

hh