What is/was "Boston-style coffee"?

Really? Maybe I’m just out of the loop, but I haven’t heard it in a real life situation since the 80s.

As long as we’re on the subject, somewhere on the Food Network, I heard about a drink called Coffeemilk. I think it was bottled and only available in one of the New England states. Anyone familiar with it?

That’s the Autocrat syrup Hershele is talking about. They are the major provider of coffeemilk products here in RI.

NM, double post

Some Rhode Island info -
To answer tdn, “frappe” is pronounced frap (rhymes with wrap) - if you pronounce it frap-pay, it means you’re not from around here.
From shagnasty, a “spa” was a mostly a soda fountain, where you would go to get tonic (soda), milkshakes (which did not have ice cream), or frappes/cabinets (which did have ice cream). I don’t know where “cabinet” came from either.
A “packie” is a liquor store. At one point the law was that liquor stores had to wrap the contents of a sale in wrapping paper and tie it up with string. You couldn’t walk out of the store with a bottle (even a bag with a bottle in it), you walked out with a package.
The reference to Autocrat syrup leads back to coffee flavoring. No, not flavoring you put in coffee, but Autocrat was (mostly) known for making (sort of) coffee flavored syrup you could add to milk. Many people know of chocolate milk, some know of strawberry milk, but round these parts you could get coffee milk, coffee milkshakes, coffee cabinets (here we go again), and even coffee shakes from McDonald’s. These tasted nothing like real coffee - I grew up drinking coffee milk, but I’ve never learned to drink real coffee.
I once ordered coffee milk, and got a cup of coffee and a glass of milk. Turned out the waitress had just arrived from Long Island.

Still going strong in Boston. Just got back from Quincy, MA the home of the first Dunkin Donuts

If I ordered a cup of coffee and got coffee with cream in it, I would expect my money back, or my order made right.

You’d spend a lot of time being annoyed in the greater Boston area.

I was refering to the fact the OP is 8 years old.

That’s only if you ordered a “coffee regular” or “regular coffee” if you just order “coffee” they’ll ask how you want it.

Speaking of Dunkin Donuts, my smartphone reveals there are 29 of them within a two-mile radius of me. So guess what part of the world I live in.

Yep. I was startled to learn that normal hotdog buns are known as “New England style” everywhere but here.

ThelmaLou, yes. To me it tastes like someone put out cigarettes in very weak chocolate milk. Needless to say I’m not a fan of coffee milk.
Sal Ammoniac, clearly you live around here. Else you couldn’t give directions by the distance to the nearest DD.

Not near me, I only have 13 in a 10 mile radius. :frowning:

:smiley:

“Boston Coffee” is a term used in other parts on the country, other than Boston, to refer to coffee with a lot of cream and sugar. In Boston - you just order by saying you want your coffee “Regulah (sic.)” Most Bostonians drink and order coffee that way. For example, when I was in Chicago and would go to a Dunkin Donuts I would order a Boston Coffee. If you asked for it that way IN Boston, they’d think you were nuts!

In these days with all of the special coffee drinks, this term is probably out of use, but that’s the deal.

You resurrected a 9 year old thread to repeat information that was already given in post #5?

That you all for your prompt responses to my “Boston coffee” answer.

Playing with Google Books to look into this query (before noticing it is a zombie),

I wonder if it might originally have been something more than just coffee with cream? I find this snippet (though annoyingly can’t see more than that) from a 1931 issue of American Cookery:

The missing instructions may be
Step 1: Make coffee
Step 2: Put cream in the coffee

but now I’m more curious.

But whatever it is, it can’t have been much of a thing. Google Books returns almost nothing and Google Ngram returns null for both “boston style coffee” and “boston coffee”.

Oh, this snippet is from a 1908 issue of Up to the Times Magazine.

Why it would matter that you pour the coffee into the cream instead of the cream into the coffee, I don’t know.

When I was a soda-jerk in a suburb of Boston many years ago, many asked for “coffee half”. (half milk) Never heard of Boston coffee. Regular coffee is coffee that’s not decafe, now anyway. I don’t think we served decafe back then.

Yeah, wicked pissah!