What is your current Covid comfort level?

Not myself, only because we’ve already established that my immediate family, and my wife’s immediate family, are all vaccinated.

Some of my less-immediate family (cousins) may well be unvaccinated, but I haven’t seen them in two years, and have no plans to see them in the foreseeable future.

I started going back to concerts in September. Right now I have tickets for about a dozen events upcoming over the next year.

I’m triple vaxed, as is every adult in my household. My son will be double vaxed and fully vaccinated by mid-December.
All the events here require proof of vaccine and indoor masking; people are very good about that here.

At this point I’m still planning to go to everything unless they are canceled.

3x vaxxed, and Oregon is under a mask mandate that I completely support and follow. I’m kind of a hermit at the best of times but if someone needs to come into my house it’s a hard “no” if they aren’t fully vaxxed. The only travel I’ve done is a trip to California to see my mom and I tested before I left, drove solo with only my dog for company and masked all the time I was there aside from actually visiting with my mom at her home, where I still maintained social distance aside from a couple hugs because she’s my mom. We ate at restaurants but only once indoors and that was for lunch and the place only had a few people in it. I keep social distance while in public and will be vocal about it if someone crowds me. I’m not gonna get this shit if there’s anything I can do to prevent it.

I’ve followed the threads here on our posters’ responses to boosters. I’d love to have a reaction like yours to Moderna! But everyone’s experiences seem to be different.

I have this half-assed notion that a person’s response to the vaccine may be indicative of how sick they would become if they got Full Monty COVID. I also have complicating issues, so am being especially cautious to avoid getting this disease.

AIUI, Moderna provides more extended protection and people are encouraged to mix 'n match. So Moderna is my choice, irrespective of this old body’s response to it. :slight_smile: I’ll know in a week.

Got the booster shot since one of my nephews is immunocompromised, but other than that I am DONE. I don’t see any magical new developments on the horizon that would make it worth waiting to do anything, and frankly I want to pack in as much living and traveling and seeing people and doing stuff as possible, because I feel like it could all be snatched away again at any moment.

Good for you (sincerely) and I envy you. My wife and I are both double vaxed but I’m 62 and fairly healthy (I bike 30-40 km every couple of days) but, much as I love concerts, that’s just a risk I’m not prepared to take.

And this falls into the first-world problem category, but I honestly don’t know when or if I’ll go to a concert again.

Even w/ a masked audience?

Aspenglow - only you know what is best for you. But seriously consider whether your health and mental well being ought to be worth possibly missing a couple of days’ work. Of course, I’m just a working stiff putting in time until I retire…

No mask mandate in my red state, and I am literally the only masked patron almost everywhere I go (which is really only the grocery store, drug store [rarely for both, thanks, Shipt] and hair salon). Most places are requiring masks for the unvaccinated, but obviously no one is checking.

Our office is also mask-free, but I’m only there one day a week, thanks to our hybrid work option, and I’m masked while I’m there (again the only one).

I can’t tell you the last time I was in a restaurant, or a movie theater, or a crowd of any kind. I have no desire to do any of the above, if I’m honest. The Trump years and the pandemic haven’t left me with any desire to mix and mingle with the citizens of the state I live in.

My state, and my county within it, have a very high rate of both vaccination and mask compliance. New cases have remained almost flat, now rising some. I wear a mask indoors in public spaces – not always required but almost everyone does anyway. I’ve been out to eat a couple of times this year. We mask up when the server comes around, for what it’s worth. In-person (masked) church services started up recently and I’ve begun to attend again. It’s every other pew seating and other precautions. Small local church.

I haven’t gotten my booster yet, it’s next week. Felt okay with that since I live isolated and minimize my exposure. No intention to go to any indoor event with crowds. Possibly ever again.

I totally understand completely. I guess it depends what you want out of life. I hated, hated, hated the past year when all events and travel was canceled. I got seriously depressed. I usually plan my life around that stuff. If I knew I would never travel or go to a concert again — I don’t know, I’d start to wonder if life was worth living.

I appreciate your kind concern, but mine is a First World problem.

I’m semi-retired, self-employed and my boss is pretty decent about letting me take time off when I want. I’m lucky to be able to plan for slothful sick days most of the time.

Plus I am rarely ill, so when something hits as hard as Vaccine #2, I overcompensate with the self-care.

As the youngsters (used to?) say, it’s all good. :wink:

I don’t think masks are that good at real protection. Sure, they help, but if there’s covid around, I wouldn’t rely on a mask to protect me. (We suspect we contracted covid while masked at an outdoor concert).

As for us, are comfort level is back to normal. We wear masks when required or recommended, but we do what we want to do without regard to Covid these days. We’ve had our boosters, we’ve had Covid, and we’re feeling pretty bullet proof. I don’t think twice about going to a restaurant or taking a flight.

We are generally doing less stuff but not avoiding anything absolutely. Risk is cumulative: a person who goes to the movies and out to dinner every week is at a lot more risk overall than the person who goes once.

So while we do much less than we used to, I’ve started letting my son have friends come play indoors pretty regularly, we flew to see family this week, I’ve eaten in a restaurant or two over the last few months. Generally wear masks in public, but not outdoors (it’s my personal belief that unless it’s absolutely packed, outdoors is not a tremendous risk).

Much of my behavior is shaped by my confidence that at this point, if we did get COVID, our vaccinated selves would be okay, and unlikely to spread it, as opposed to feeli g like we can’t get it.

Vaxxed and boosted, I wear masks everywhere outside the house, have gloves and spare masks if I deem them needed [I especially hate touching gas pump handled and such] and we actively avoid me going anywhere other than the doctor and home again. We are after debating it going to mrAru’s mother’s 80th birthday in Fresno the weekend of the 5th and flying both ways … we are going to be taking antiseptic wipes for the airplane rides, plenty of gloves and disposable masks. I admit, it makes me nervous because my immune system is still pretty much not up to fully restored after the chemo and such, but one turns 80 only once and who knows how long she will be with us.

The thing for me is that, despite proof of vax and mask requirements (all good things of course) it’s metal and hard rock with well-meaning (IME) and really exuberant crowds (god love 'em) either at small, standing-only clubs or the floor areas at arenas.

My big concern is long Covid; for me cycling is the thing I couldn’t give up and I’ve seen enough articles about previously active, fit people who now can’t walk one block without being exhausted. I guess this also addresses suranyi’s comment: “If I knew I would never travel or go to a concert again — I don’t know, I’d start to wonder if life was worth living”

I also couldn’t live with myself if I infected my wife.

One other thing: My dad turned 90 years old a few weeks ago. We flew out for his birthday. Yes, we took a risk but we’re all fully vaxed and boosted, and I don’t know how much longer he’ll be around.

I just googled. There are two cases of the South African variant in California. Granted, they’re in the SF Bay area, and I’m in SoCal, but with the uncertainty of vaccine resistance to this strain (and I’m triple vaxed) I’m not taking any chances. I was a lot more comfortable a week or so ago.

I’m double-vaxxed with Moderna and will get my booster Monday. Outside the house, I always wear a mask if I’m around people. I resumed going through drive-thru coffee and fast-food places after my second shot in late May but, aside from an office lunch in April, I haven’t gone into restaurants since March 2020. The only stores I go into are supermarkets, drug stores, and convenience stores but not when they’re too crowded. I was hoping once I got my booster, I could ease up a bit but with the Omicron variant on the rise, I’ll probably end up being back in my house 24/7.

My life has been back to pretty much “normal” for the entire year (well, since about April). I’m a wedding photographer, and almost every weekend since the end of April I’ve been in large, indoor events with no masking, of up to 400 people. I do not wear a mask. I’ve been fully vaccinated since mid-March; booster in early October. So I’m not particularly worried. Last year, I pretty much saw nobody outside my small pod of people in close proximity (basically, my immediate family and the neighbor to the north), although I did go to the grocery store nearly every day, as that is how I shop.

@carrps , can you link to this? Having trouble finding this info.