What is your current DIY/craft project?

I’m knitting a pair of overalls for my toddler in blue superwash wool. They’re nearly done. After that I’ll start a hat for me in some gorgeous yarn I splurged on last weekend.

I took a woodworking class about a month ago wherein we made the beech trestles and stretchers for a laminated top wood workbench (they provided the tops). I haven’t been able to finish it yet both because of the weather (unheated garage) and the cataract surgery. I still have to mount the vise and probably second-coat everything with Danish oil. Then attach the trestles/stretchers, flip it onto its legs, mount the vise blocks and plane them down to be even with the bench top. It was a good project. The stretchers connect to the trestles via wedged mortise and tenon joints. The trestles are all mortise and tenon and pinned with dowels.

Well I got an 8" stacked dado set for Xmas this morning so now I need to come up with a project to use them. My niece might need more bookshelves. I’ll ask her and if she does I’ll make her some.

I made my sister a beaded necklace for her birthday. It was unfinished when I gave it to her because I wanter her to try it on so I could finish it at exactly the length she wanted. I’m now in the process of doing that and may wrap it up and give it to her again for Christmas when we get together next week. :cool:

It depends on your tension, I believe. I’m a loose knitter and I don’t like color work on my hiyas, which are my favorites otherwise. I need some grab or my changes are ghastly.

I’m stashbusting on a hat binge right now.

I bought about a dozen tiny bird houses, and I’m attempting to paint them to be Christmas ornaments. It’s going okay, but it’s taking much longer than I anticipated.

We bought a new house and I’m doing a lot of the stuff myself. I’ll try to upload some pics to make it more understandable, but I refurbished a lot of Japanese cypress wood. I’m making a make-up desk for my wife. I made a TV stand and other things as well.

Several at various stages of completion:

Remodeling the kitchen.
Installing an exhaust fan in the bathroom.
Cleaning the gutters.

I’m STILL working on this fractal for TheKid stitched over one on 28ct fabric. It’s making me realize I really do need bifocals.

:eek: Was that English? Should you be in rehab for any of it?

I think the comments about stashbusting indicates a large intake of something prior to an imminent visit from law enforcement types.

I finished it

Imgur

and it coincidentally reached Mom’s friend on her 50th anniversary!

Public Service Announcement: Please be very careful when rotary cutting – preferably use a ruler guard and Fons and Porter Klutz glove or similar to protect your ruler hand. Just got back from the ER with seven new stitches. I’ve heard the warnings before and cut myself anyway – if this reminder helps just one person… cue hopeful violin music…:wink:

That looks great Gigi. Reminds me of a quilt my Great Aunt had made before I was born that I am pretty sure my parents are still using in their guest/sewing room.

That’s beautiful, gigi – and you can hardly see the bloodstains. :wink:

I’m starting an Etsy store with my crocheted stuff. Except I sold most of my inventory at the work craft fair and need pictures of it, so I have to make it all over again! And I think I’m getting carpal tunnel or something.

Also I don’t have any cute kids to pose in my hats. You can’t sell things on Etsy without cute kids.

Life happened and I didn’t finish my son’s Tardis socks in time for Christmas. I should be able to make good progress on them tonight. First sock is all done but grafting the toe and weaving in ends. Second one is about 1/3 of the way knitted.

Heh – the folks in the ER did make sure to ask whether I had gotten blood on the fabric! Remarkably I had managed not to.

I forgot I also finished this one in time for Christmas:

Imgur

Jo-Ann Fabrics had the fun bulb findings and a great button for the treetopper.

Well, I finally finished it today.
Here are some pictures:
One
Two
Three

It’s definitely not perfect but it was fun taking some plans and changing the style a bit to fit my aesthetic.

I’m skating as “Captain Hook” in an Ice Skating Institute ‘spotlight’ number.

I have to have a prop on the ice. My plan is to build a base platform and bolt some skating blades to the bottom so I can push/pull it around. Then sticking up from the base I’ll have a support board attached using some angle thingies. I’ll build a separate profile of a ship’s figure head to attach to the support, then I’ll use some polyethylenes corbels and other fake wood decorations to give the prop some depth.

As I have no artistic talent, I have to figure out how to draw the figurehead onto board and paint it.

It doesn’t say ‘spotlight’ number unless a dremel tool is involved.

You did a really nice job.