What is your favorite household tip or technique?

Before you put the new trash bag in the trash can. Put something in the bag FIRST and THEN put it in the can to avoid the air bubble.

Keep a dust pan handy near the kitchen counters. Next time you wipe down the counters, use the dust pan to catch excess debris instead of your hands.

I see you are a man who appreciates the classics. :smiley:

When cooking, I like to use the mise en place technique (getting your ingredients all ready ahead of time; measured, chopped, minced, etc). Then, while you’re cooking you have time to clean as you go.

When I finish cooking a meal, the kitchen is clean. When my gf finishes cooking a meal, the kitchen looks like a crime scene.:smiley:

● Whenever you’re taking something apart, every time you remove something, use your cell phone to take a picture. Then you have a step-by-step visual guide to everything you did, and if you forget how to put it back together, just look at the pictures in reverse order. This saved my ass countless times as a locksmith; people put locks on all kinds of stuff and I would routinely have to break down and reassemble devices I’d never seen before.

● Store a roll of trash bags in the bottom of the bin. You’ll never have to look for a trash bag again! (until you run out, at least ;))

● Dad’s rule: “Don’t leave the house until something comes out.” Really just “go before you go” but I like his wording better.

When throwing out a tin can for recycling, insert a used soda can, rather than throwing it out separately. It saves space.

When cooking something with lots of ingredients, line up the ingredients on the counter ahead of time, in the order in which they’ll be used.

There are always things upstairs that need to go down, and things downstairs that need to go up. I try to never go up or down the stairs empty handed.

When you buy all-natural peanut butter, there’s almost always some peanut oil floating on top that’s separated from the more solid stuff below.

Nobody says you have to stir all of the oil back in. You can pour off some or even all of it, and mix up what’s left. You can decide what consistency of peanut butter you prefer.

Not to mention, if you pour some of it off before mixing, you’re less likely to slosh peanut oil on the counter.

My wife has taught me to do this. In addition, store the prepped veggies in the dish/container you’re going to use to serve the food. That way you have one fewer container to wash. If you have multiple vegetables used at different times, layer them in reverse order, separated with saran wrap or wax paper.

Also… Slow cooker liners are worth the cost, because slow cooker inner pots are heavy and difficult to wash.

Parchment paper, either in a roll or in sheets (which I prefer) saves you a multiple of cleanup messes. It’s primarily for baking sheets to prevent cookies and the like from sticking to the pan, and is reusable until it gets brittle.

A bench scraper is one of the best kitchen tools you can buy for under $10. It can be used as a chopper as well. Scrape food up and dump in a pan. Scrape food scraps off your cutting surface to chuck in the garbage. Scrape scraps off your counter for disposal. Scrape up that piece of dough you just rolled out that is sticking to the surface. It’s usually the first tool I take out of the drawer. I prefer the ones without the side wings.

I write my wifi and router login on a self-stick mailing label and stick it to the bottom of the router.

Same here. Prep everything, then as you cook tidy / wash / put stuff away or in the trash. I might have one pan to clean at the end, and measuring cups, chopping boards etc clean on the dish rack.

When Committing Crimes, Do Not Post YouTube Video of Yourself Committing Crimes.

Don’t buy that round disc sold as a jar opener. May sure you always have rubber gloves and use them instead. It’s easier, because you don’t have to make sure the rubber thingy is in the right place. Just put the gloves on, and they are automatically right where you need them, and you have traction for both hands, not just one. I still put them on to use the slightly higher tech jar opener that I have, because it still gives me traction on the hand holding the jar.

I have eaten natural peanut butter for years, and used to use a butter knife to stir the butter and oil together when opening a new jar. It was always messy and time-consuming and there was always some butter that did not get enough oil at the bottom, and was sort of dry. Now I use a basic mixer with only one “arm”: just grab the jar tightly and mix slowly on low speed for a few minutes. The job is much easier, cleaner, and the mix is consistent.

A 5-gallon bucket can be used to wash bags, backpacks, jackets and other items too big for your sink or you do not want to put thru the washer. Remove any stiffeners. I usually save up a number of items and do a bunch at one time, then hang out in the sun to dry. I have rehabilitated a number of my kids’ backpacks this way and they now serve a 2nd life.

The same 5-gallon bucket was used to trap/release a mouse from inside our house a few years ago.

When I want to have a fresh bagel every day, I skip the grocery store bagels and Dunkin’ Donuts bagels and go straight to a proper bagel shop.

I buy a half dozen, slice them, put them back in their paper bag, put that in a ziplock bag, and freeze them. Now, when I want a bagel, I grab a frozen bagel, bang on it to get the halves apart, and pop it in the toaster oven.

Of course, they always taste best when the come fresh from the bagel shop, but an immediately frozen bagel retains almost all of that awesomeness and stands head and shoulders above the stuff from the super market.

Store the jar upside down.

Works best if you remember to turn it right side up again some time before you actually want to use it.

The proper way to deal with natural peanut butter is to pour the oil into a cup, get the peanut butter out, and then pour the oil back into the jar.

The oil acts as a sealant to keep everything fresh.

Do the same thing with roux in a jar.

Amazing info! Thank you ever so much. Thanks to everyone who have posted tips so far. I have learned many great techniques here that I intend to use. But using Windex to immediately kill flying insects is one of the best. I always worried about using Raid because they fly away only to die somewhere else and that worries me that a whole new infestation of smaller insects will invade to feed on the dead insects. Yuck!

I am sticking some wholes into some cling wrap right now btw.

What are these ice crystals you speak of?
mmm

For those that continue to do this by hand, (a) pouring some of the oil off makes the mixing process quicker, easier, and less messy, and (b) if the PB gets too dry and hard, just nuke the jar for 15-30 seconds, depending on how much is still in the jar.

Absolutely do this if you want to mix all the oil in. I don’t do this because I like a thicker consistency of PB which I get by pouring a lot of the oil off the top. (I can put a really thick layer of PB on my PB&J since it’s not runny!)

If I understand you correctly, doesn’t that mean you have an oily cup to clean up after each time you use any PB? (Also, what’s left in the jar might be kinda hard, though as I said above, that can be alleviated by nuking.)

Never worried much about that - it’s rare for an opened jar of PB to last a week around here. :slight_smile:

To each his/her own on this one - the disc works just fine for us, and a pair of rubber gloves would be one more thing we’d have to keep handy in the rather small work area of our kitchen.

But talking about jar openers reminds me of what I regard as a vastly superior can opener.

Your standard can opener cuts a hole in the lid of the can just inside the rim. This can opener lifts the entire lid off the can. So (a) the removed lid has no sharp edges, and (b) if you only use part of what’s in the can, you can actually pop the lid back on the can.

We’ve been using this kind of can opener for ten or twelve years now, and we wouldn’t dream of going back to the old kind.