What is your favorite keyboard shortcut that almost nobody uses?

I like that one.
Also, Ctrl-Shift-Esc which starts up Task Manager.

I have two questions. Is there any place that all these shortcuts are documented? Second, is there any program that works like All Chars used to before MSFT started screwing around? If All Chars was installed, the ctl (press and release, followed by ", followed by u would give you an umlauted u, for example. Since Win-7, it does not work any more.

CTRL + F will open a window where you can type in a word or phrase you want to find on a page.

Indeed. I believe I once learned that Undo is the most used Windows command, followed by Cut and Paste.

For moving windows around (at least in Windows 10), use Windows + arrow keys. E. g. Windows + right arrow pins the highlighted window to the right half of the screen, and shows a selection of your open windows (which you also get to via Windows + Tab) on the left; the window you select will then automatically be pinned to the left half, allowing quick comparisons, cut and paste, etc. between the two.

Works also if you’ve got a window open that’s not displayed on the main screen (say, you RDP into a machine with more than one screen), and you want to move it to the active display.

Also, ctrl - Windows - arrow left/right lets you switch between active desktops.

I installed the “United States Inernational keyboard” for cases like that. When it’s the active keyboard, I can make a ü by pressing " followed by u. Or ç is ’ plus c. Or é is ’ plus e. Or å is alt + w, and so on. I don’t use it all the time because it’s inconvenient to get an apostrophe or quotation mark by itself (you have to type it then follow it with a space). Fortunately, there is a keyboard shortcut to cycle between the four different keyboard layouts I have installed (Windows key + spacebar).

I’ve always found Alt + F4 useful. Give it a shot and let me know what you think. :smiley:

I like command + [

It takes you back to the previous page.

My fingers are happy on the keyboard. Less time with the mouse is better.

Windows + L - lock the screen

• I work in IT - and I published a policy telling people they must do this when they are going to be leaving line of sight of their computer. We have an electronic policy that locks machines after 10 minutes of activity, but people should do it manually when they are about to walk away. They don’t.

Well, they didn’t… if I happen to walk past an unlocked, unattended computer, I invert the screen, or change it to monochrome. I have threatened that if it continues to happen, I will send emails from their open screen to their line managers, saying “I long to run naked into your waiting arms, also, I broke policy and left my machine unlocked”

I use a lot:
Win+D, haven’t used Win+M for years and years once I discovered D.
Win+Pause/Break: opens system info, though lately I just use Win+R then devmgmt.msc as that’s usually my destination.
Win+arrow keys: hit multiple times, super useful to move windows, split the monitor in half, and maximize.
Ctrl+shift+esc: because ctrl+alt+del takes an extra click. Especially useful because a software I use frequently doesn’t really have a quit button.

Not to start any wars, but on Mac I’d use command+down arrow, because they seem to think return works better for rename for some weird reason. And Command+I, get file info. Alt+Enter in Windows does basically the equivalent, except when selecting multiple files.

I work in IT and use Win+Pause/Break a lot. I often get to machines totally unknown to me and that’s the quickest way to get basic info about the machine. Also a quick way to get to device manager and system settings.

well, I downloaded a list of all shortcuts from microsoft BUT that relates to Windows 7. Perhaps they have an updated list for later versions.

If you highlight the word first it populates into the window automatically. If it’s a single word you can just double click on it and hit CTRL F.

Win-L. I got used to working somewhere I needed to lock my computer every time I left my desk.

I don’t HAVE to now, but it bugs me when I don’t, so right thumb and ring finger get their workout many times a day.

It’s actually surprising how many people are fine leaving their computer just sitting there for anyone to access.

Depending on the graphics chipset/driver in use, Ctrl-Alt-[Up,Down,Left,Right] will rotate the display. Mostly useful as a prank, but also handy if you change your monitor from landscape to portrait.

I use Ctrl+X and Ctrl+C a lot (Cut and Copy), along with the Ctrl+V (Paste). Those are not so fancy, but seem to be quicker for me than any other option.

Also, the aforementioned Win+L to lock my screen - my work as well requires your screen to be locked when you are not at your desk, so I use that one a lot.

These work in Firefox (Ubuntu) but I think most work in Windows too.

alt-TAB cycles through active applications (alt-shift-TAB cycles backwards)
ctrl-TAB cycles through tabs (ctrl-shift-TAB cycles backwards)
ctrl-w closes the current tab/application
ctrl-t opens a new tab
ctrl-b opens/closes the bookmarks
ctrl-h opens/closes the history
ctrl-d adds current url to the bookmarks

I use F5 and Ctrl + F5 quite a bit at work, along with Ctrl + Z.

Here’s a list of all the Windows 10 shortcuts.

One I haven’t seen mentioned: Ctrl-PgDn goes to the next tab, Ctrl-PgUp goes to the previous tab.

Control-Tab (Mac OS) to cycle through open tabs in a browser.

This next one is not-exactly-but-sort-of a keyboard shortcut for text selection (but very useful). I have historically clicked the mouse to place the cursor in the field of text at the point where I want to start selecting. Then I hold and drag to where I want to stop; highlighting the selection. But there’s an easier way. Shortcut: I still make the first click but don’t hold. Then move my mouse cursor to where I want to stop the selection, hold Shift, and click again. Between the 2 clicks, my selection has been highlighted/selected.