What item would you spend a lot of money on and most people would think you were crazy to do so?

Assuming all my basic needs are covered, including retirement, etc., all other things being equal and I have unlimited funds to blow on whatever:

•Shoes and clothes, but mostly shoes. I would be the Imelda Marcos of Florida. So many shoes… so little time. I would not buy shoes I did not wear however.

•I would probably spare no expense on having awesome audio in my house and all vehicles. I’m an avid music fan and love my satellite radio receiver in my house. I’d like to upgrade the whole system to HD, incorporate the SurroundSound home theater system and set up a wireless speaker system throughout the house, so I can listen to whatever music I’m listening to in any room or on my back porch/yard. If I could, I would spend a disproportionate amount on this stuff as compared to how modestly I live otherwise. I’d be like those Ricer kids who drives a $2,000 Honda with a $12,000 audio system in it. :cool:

High-quality foam, graphite rods, and sheet steel. I’m a LARPer.

Baseball caps. Not that weird, but I’d never wear any of them. I’d want one for each active MLB team, and I’d probably collect some of the cooler Giants ones. But they only one I’d actually wear is the current fitted, or a San Francisco World Series fitted.

Spending thousands on recording albums that won’t even make it to the cutout bin.

I have bought a brand new car with cash twice in the last five years. (Once for me, once for my wife.)

I doubt I’ve been deemed “crazy” by my friends for any items but I do go the extra mile on music/home theatre, shirts, wine, whiskey, guns and art. (Antiques, furniture and cars are a given, right?)

I’ll spare you some misery on that one - you almost certainly won’t get it until next fall if you order now. Word on the street is that they’re sold out, and any new orders will go into the second printing. But I could be wrong.

I, for the record, put my copy on order at the end of February, and so far, it’s looking like I’ll get one from the first printing. But you never know until it gets here.

Depending on the car, that’s not extravagant, that’s cheap. I know, I paid cash for my car, too. If I were extravagant, I’d have borrowed an extra $5K for the one I really wanted.

Food and wine. My husband and I drink wine like they’re going to stop making it. There’s a big wine store in Minneapolis that has semi-annual sales; at the last one we spent $400 without thinking about it. And it didn’t even last us that long! I’m thinking we’re to the point now where 20 bottles would last us 15 days, and that’s going to cost.

We also eat out more than we should, and frequently go to higher-end restaurants. The type of restaurants that are generally a “once or twice a year thing” we now eat at probably monthly.

I once spent $560 on lunch.

I wish I could join this thread. I am too miserly with myself. :frowning:

I get it! Been there, done that, got the weighted-keys graded hammer-action keyboard. I didn’t mention it in my previous post because I really didn’t want to talk about what good keyboards and, worse, violins cost.

Oh, man. I’ve mentioned this before, but every time I go to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s annual Christmas show, for the next month or so I have a burning, nearly unquenchable desire to buy a Mark Wood Viper violin and learn to play it. Or maybe just put it on my dresser and stare longingly at it. Whatever, as long as I can own it!

The desire always fades (I haven’t the faintest idea how to play the violin, probably don’t have time to learn, and the Woods start at around $2000 and go up, up, up from there) but if I ever win the lottery, I’m getting me one of those!

Two main things:

1- a well bred dog. I have NOTHING against mutts, but I enjoy the occasional dog show and when I am able, I have no problem paying for a dog of the breeding and conformation that I want. I had a random stranger at the vet the other day look down her nose at me and say ‘I’d never pay ANYTHING for a dog, I get all my dogs free’. Fine… good for you. I love my purebreds just as much as anyone loves their mixed breed… and I don’t EVER put anyone down for choosing to rescue.

2-my model horse hobby. I have cpollected model horses for 45 years now and have probably 500 or more in the collection. Some I paid several hundred dollars for. Only other model horse collectors understand the obsession…

Oh yeah, I forgot wine! We haven’t caught up to you guys yet, but we’re working on it…

Oh, good point. I have seven cats. Four of them are purebreds (two Singapuras and two Russian Blues) and three are rescues. I’m sure most people would think I spent too much on the purebreds, but I love them dearly, just as I love my sweet tabby rescues.

The only issue I’d ever have with anybody and purebred dogs or cats would be if they bought the “fad pet of the week” with no idea of its special needs or care. My cats came from reputable, responsible breeders, they’re all spayed/neutered (as are the rescues) and it ain’t nobody else’s business. :slight_smile:

Same here, we buy an awful lot of decent wine. $$$$$

I have a weakness for shoes and purses but the two things that make people who know me say “you spent WHAT on WHAT??” are Nintendo DS games and old coins (I collect American coins in odd denominations and have not yet spent over $300 for a single coin, but I have family members I can’t talk to about it because they bitch me out for the pointless extravagance of it)

Tango shoes.

I already have three pairs of perfectly servicable, pretty and quite sufficient dancing shoes, but I crave a pair of Comme il Fauts.

Off the dancefloor I wear mostly Doc Martens or Chucks and I’m not a shoe person at all, but on the floor I need more more more shoes. Shoooooooooooes.

If I win the MegaMillions lottery tonight, which is unlikely as I do not intend to buy a ticket, I will almost certainly buy twenty or thirty custom-made suits, twice that many expensive dress shirts, twice THAT many nice silk ties, and a good number of very nice blazers, slacks, shoes, and so forth.